second calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I was just telling my ranch hand (wife) that sometimes I think it might be best to not know exactly when they're due. This week we had what we thought was a really nice calf in a cow that was 8 1/2 days overdue. I couldn't wait any longer and we ended up pulling it and it was fine.
But I get a little nervous after a couple days of them being overdue.

I was just telling my ranch hand (wife) that sometimes I think it might be best to not know exactly when they're due. This week we had what we thought was a really nice calf in a cow that was 8 1/2 days overdue. I couldn't wait any longer and we ended up pulling it and it was fine.
But I get a little nervous after a couple days of them being overdue.
Please explain. Do you mean she wasn't in labor and you went in and proceeded to pull the calf?
I plan for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after due date.

B stopped in and tagged that baldie calf. He said the calf is going to lose half its ears. Was a bit cold for new calf ears. He still hasn't caught #2. I am thinking we could enter that calf in the Kentucky Derby.
Hate that Dave.
Do they dock for less ear up there?
Down here its any excuse to buy em cheaper. Don't eat the ears for cripes sake

Hate that Dave.
Do they dock for less ear up there?
Down here its any excuse to buy em cheaper. Don't eat the ears for cripes sake
Yep, they dock frozen ear calves. But the way I look at it is a docked frozen ear calf is much better than a frozen dead calf. They do say that the calves have some other health issues with frozen ears and tails. I don't worry about it. Could be worse. Could have been a longhorn heifer calf, or a beltie calf, or one of the other breeds that get docked more than this black baldie steer calf will get docked.

Two more new calves this morning. It was a Charolais morning. Of the 60 cows out there only 4 are Charolais or Char crosses. Both of the calves this morning are out of the Char cows. Being born on a day in the low 30's is a whole lot better than the negative numbers earlier this week. That makes 6 calves out of 60 cows. I am 10% done before I even planned to start.

2 more new calves. One yesterday and another one today. I have two cows that lost their ear tags right away. That is the two cows that calves. There is some sort of conspiracy going on out there. First 2 char calves the same day and now the 2 cows who lost their ear tags. I see now that a cow that came with the one who had the baldie calf is loose in the rear. I said something to B about them calving. He said you can't get finished if you don't get started. The plan was to avoid the April/May calves I had last year. So far the plan is really working.

Latest posts