Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":uegiv0fd said:
Jackson":uegiv0fd said:
I hate to mess up the relationship, I know if I don't give him the money I can never go over there again
You clearly value the relationship more than he does.

I don't see knuckling under as being the right call. Part of me would want to tell him to shove it, but you know your situation better than us. At most, I would tell him a deal should be a deal, but offer to split the difference. He needs to be told this isn't an acceptable practice. Regardless, I sure wouldn't buy anything from him again. It's a no win situation. Anyone that would call back looking for more money is also the type of person to tell all his buddies how you tried to cheat him

That's why I would pay him and move on. I would look at it as learning experience for the future.

I hear how experience is expensive in the cattle business all the time. :D

I had a similar situation happen to me once on a horse. He was an elderly man that I group up knowing and was always someone I looked up to. Long story short I took the horse back and got my money just for the simple fact I didn't want it to negatively impact our relationship. A few months later I had found out that the man had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Made me proud that I handled it the way I did. You just never know what is going on in someone else's mind.

Hey Bigfoot,

I think those heifers I sold you are worth more now. Send me an extra $75 a head! LOL . I know how well that would work!

Jackson":2kypeh7v said:
Well he called me a day later and says he wants 150 more dollars for them.

This is a joke, right? Like, you're pulling our leg? If it were me, I wouldn't even dignify him with a response, let along give him any money. Tough luck for him that he lost $150.

Who set the initial price?
Have you verified the salebarn price?

Either way, I wouldn't do business with him again.

Have him bring his trailer and your cash. I wouldn't even charge for the grass. Just get them off my place.

RiverHills":2v81fhak said:
Right or wrong you should give him the money. $150 is not worth having anything bad said. I would pay him and move on. If he ever calls again I would use it as leverage and stress the deal is done when the gate closes.

You would feel this way if the plumber called you and stated you owed him more money? How about the cable company? The electric company? No. This is no different. Maybe this guy did lose money. You know what? That's business. You screw up, you lose money. In no way should this person pay him more money.

I am thinking about just letting it go and see if he calls back. And if he does call back just tell him I am sorry that he thinks he got took but I gave him what we both thought was fair at the time. He actually went up 50 bucks from the 1st price I quoted. I said how much do you want for them, he said Make me an offer, so I did. He went up 50 bucks and I agreed. So how is this my fault.

Jackson":ins4p2bo said:
I am thinking about just letting it go and see if he calls back. And if he does call back just tell him I am sorry that he thinks he got took but I gave him what we both thought was fair at the time. He actually went up 50 bucks from the 1st price I quoted. I said how much do you want for them, he said Make me an offer, so I did. He went up 50 bucks and I agreed. So how is this my fault.
Didn`t you say that you told him you would call him back? If you did you should call him you dont want him to go back on his word but then you say you will call him and dont do it. Thats not good either

I guess I would be a coward and a liar if I didn't call him back but I hate that I am even in this situation. I should of said what was on my mind when he called but I chickened out.

I would never buy from him again first of all. That ship has sailed. He could honor the deal or come get his cows and bring fuel money. End of story. Piss on people like that.

Bestoutwest":rinh9qrx said:
RiverHills":rinh9qrx said:
Right or wrong you should give him the money. $150 is not worth having anything bad said. I would pay him and move on. If he ever calls again I would use it as leverage and stress the deal is done when the gate closes.

You would feel this way if the plumber called you and stated you owed him more money? How about the cable company? The electric company? No. This is no different. Maybe this guy did lose money. You know what? That's business. You screw up, you lose money. In no way should this person pay him more money.

First I have to say I'm in the cattle business not those other business. If someone in another business ever did this it would be hard choice but I promise you I would never do business with them again.
Second it is a loss loss.It is a shady deal on his part but trying to keep peace is worth a lot. I guess it's really how much you want to be friends with this guy. The business part would be hard to do again either way.

midtncattle":1s1ll7mz said:
Hey Bigfoot,

I think those heifers I sold you are worth more now. Send me an extra $75 a head! LOL . I know how well that would work!

Pepper from "Cowboy Way"------------ You didn't get my check yet?

Seller remorse isn't a justifiable reason to nullify a completed transaction. If you give him the money or any part of it he will do it again in the future. At the most I would tell him he can pick up the heifers when you receive your money back along with all expenses you have incurred. I imagine he will change his mind then. I talked a man about the price of some Bulls Sunday evening. He stated I need to check the market first as I haven't been keeping up with it. I'm fine with that. But once he sets a price and I accept I consider it a done deal. In the winter a seller and I made an agreement on some bred heifers. I could tell something was wrong as he kept having excuses on why I couldn't pick them up. Finally he stated he had decided to keep them but substitute some black heifers in their place for a hundred less per head. I told him I wasn't interested in the blacks but would still take the baldies. He offered to take 250 less for the blacks but was afraid he would change his mind so went elsewhere. It is your decision but hate to see anyone rewarded for unethical actions.

Jackson":22dho13f said:

Tell him that and if he doesn't like it tell him to 'pound sand.' It's his loss here.

Jackson":a8nrd46l said:

No part of this is your fault. But did you get a really good deal on the heifers? This is the only thing that makes any sense to me. But yes I know he agreed to the price, but if the heifers are really worth more then what? I'm sure none of us would take advantage of an old man that happens to be a friend. Your in a tough spot, myself I'd just give him the heifers back, or the $150. if the heifers are worth the extra money.

Jackson":bwdkwt66 said:
I purchased 2 heifers from an old man that I have known through the years. I like buying a few from him every now and again as he has old tuff as nails woods cows. You put these out and never have to bother with them. Well he called me a day later and says he wants 150 more dollars for them. He said a buddy of his went to the sale and told him what they were bringing and now he feels he didn't get enough for them. I gave him what I thought was a fair price, I saved him a trip to the sale barn. What would you do? Would you take the old man 150 more dollars to keep the peace in case you want to buy more? Or would you say screw it, he agreed on a price and that's his own fault?

If he agreed and let you load or said deal ... its over what cattle are worth today may not be the same tomorrow. After money has exchanged hands done deal. I don't care how long you know someone. Me being the A.H. I am would tell him where he can go. I wouldn't worry about wanting to buy more later because if you made a deal and he does it this time who would want to fool with the same BS again no thank you.. There is better and more reputable producers out there that will sell you cattle and when they sell that's it no matter what.

It just sucks because if I don't give him the money that's it I am sure. Not that I would lose sleep but I enjoyed stopping by his place when I could, he would always try to give me advice, heck he only started selling to me so he could help me get started. he told me where to go buy a bull, he helped me get a herd going. I really don't want to give him the money because of the principle of the whole thing but dam I hate to have the man hate me.

We don't know how bad you want to remain "friends?". We don't know why you would want to remain "friends?" with someone who does what he did? For a source of cattle that work for you, that are at a price that you find acceptable? Is the sale barn price acceptable as well? If you hadn't bought them, would they have been at the sale?
1. If he is an old man that is susceptible to forgetfulness or bad decisions (if you're getting over on an old man like that, lucky his boys don't find out), and/or you want to remain friends, then pay up. Or you take them back and get your check. Done. Adjust your future buying accordingly.
2. If he is an old codger trying to pull a fast one, and you don't care if you whiz him off or not - your call. Tell him to pound sand, come pick them up and bring the check you gave him and another for your time, fuel, and the grass they ate. Deal is a deal, if he wants to crawfish, he will have to pay the bs you can bill him for. Or go to small claims or whatever.
3. If you just want done with it, tell him come get them and bring your check, or you all figure what he would have paid for trucking/commission, subtract that off the $150, pay him, and call it even.
Only you know what will make you both happy, if anything. Be able to sleep at night. Don't do anything you wouldn't want your Granny to know about.

edit: Reading the above post you made, sounds like you better just pay him. I think that's the way you're leaning. And if you are cool with it, I sure am. Sounds like a wishy washy old man that is fun to talk to, not necessarily buy from though.

Jackson":1b47qc0z said:
It just sucks because if I don't give him the money that's it I am sure. Not that I would lose sleep but I enjoyed stopping by his place when I could, he would always try to give me advice, heck he only started selling to me so he could help me get started. he told me where to go buy a bull, he helped me get a herd going. I really don't want to give him the money because of the principle of the whole thing but dam I hate to have the man hate me.

MAN UP and tell him what you think. It does not have to be ugly, If he can not respect that then you don't have a friend. If you reread all of these post it a majority of your peers stating he is wrong for his actions. Kicking the can down the road is not going to solve any problem.

Latest posts