Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

Jackson

Reaction score
I purchased 2 heifers from an old man that I have known through the years. I like buying a few from him every now and again as he has old tuff as nails woods cows. You put these out and never have to bother with them. Well he called me a day later and says he wants 150 more dollars for them. He said a buddy of his went to the sale and told him what they were bringing and now he feels he didn't get enough for them. I gave him what I thought was a fair price, I saved him a trip to the sale barn. What would you do? Would you take the old man 150 more dollars to keep the peace in case you want to buy more? Or would you say screw it, he agreed on a price and that's his own fault?

A deal is a deal. I'd politely tell the gentleman he should have done his homework before pricing them and to kindly screw off.

Yeah. That's just bad business on his part. That in and of itself would have me feeling a certain type of way. More than likely preventing me from doing business with him again.

Speaks to one's character, wouldn't you think. Brings about the word…GREED.

All in all its just poor business practice.

I'm easy
What's a 150 to keep a friend
I'd see if he'd deduct commission, fuel from his price
Unless I didn't like the guy and never wanted to deal with him again then I'd tell him it's a done deal

The only way I would take him $150 is if it would be keeping his lights on or not. I don't want to put anyone out. But a deal is a deal.

that's his opening bid , now counter with 100 bucks total and explain fuel commission yardage fees , That's the simple way.

I would be inclined to tell him to want in one hand and shyt in the other and see which ones fills up first.

I would be inclined to tell him to want in one hand and shyt in the other and see which ones fills up first.[/quote]

that is what I am feeling sometimes. I like the guy, he always seemed like a good old man. I just couldn't believe he did that, almost like demanding the money. I don't know what to do. My buddies say I am a fool if I take him more money.

I'd give him what he wants as long as it's fair market value. Seems like y'all have a good thing going and why screw it up for a $150. bucks. But if it was someone I don't know and we made a deal, it would be a deal.

Very bad practice on his part.. I'd walk away from the deal, not offer more money.. If he wants to sell them at next week's sale, he can go ahead and do that.. (perhaps I'd attend)... Maybe the price will be cheaper next week

You're a sucker if you pay it, and an arse if you if you argue the deal was done. Walking away is the best message

Tell him he can come get them and you would like your money back. Odds are it won't be worth the trouble to him.

Nesikep":2dbjmxjg said:
Very bad practice on his part.. I'd walk away from the deal, not offer more money.. If he wants to sell them at next week's sale, he can go ahead and do that.. (perhaps I'd attend)... Maybe the price will be cheaper next week

You're a sucker if you pay it, and an arse if you if you argue the deal was done. Walking away is the best message
+1

If you go ahead and give him the money in order to keep peace, what is it going to be next time? Eventually you will have to tell him no or quit doing business with him.

Go ahead and deal with it now by letting him know that's not the way you do business.

Do you have the heifers in your possession, or are they still on his farm? If I had all ready picked up the heifers, it's a done deal. If he still has them, you have to decide how bad you want the heifers and how bad you want to keep doing business with this man.

if i really liked him id take them back to him. if i liked him id tell him to come get them. if i didnt like him id probably tell him to come get them and charge him for your trucking and feed. it wouldnt matter about making him a little mad because id never buy anything off him again anyways.

First off, I question the character/intelligence of anyone that would do business like that way. Second, I'd offer to swap him the heifers, back for the cash. If he didn't want to do that, I'd be done with it.

You know him and the details of this situation, and I don't, but the way I see it, he is going back on his word. I have priced cattle before and then later wished that I had priced them for more, but I don't think it's good to go back on my word. Like someone has said if you have already paid him in full and you have them on your property then it should be considered a done deal, and anything more on your part would be purely charitable. If not, then I myself would be inclined to let him keep them.

I'm also not clear on whether you've just made the deal, but you haven't paid him and picked them up yet, or if you've gotten the heifers and paid for him. In either case it's very poor business on his part to now want more money. I agree that if you already have the heifers I'd tell him that if he wanted to go back on the deal he could have them back and I wanted my money back. If you've just made the deal and haven't paid him or taken delivery, I'd say no thanks. Also in either case, I believe I'd ask him this question: "If your buddy had gone to the sale and came back and said that the heifers were selling for less, would you be offering me some of my money back?"

Latest posts