Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

Anytime I'm in this situation, I try to do whatever I need to in order to sleep good at night. I'd probably tell him to come get them and refund your money if he's not happy with the deal. Knowing full well he's in the wrong, unless there is more to the story.

First thing I'd do is go see him, face to face, and briefly discuss the situation... CALMLY. If he didn't come around I'd tell him to take them and shove them up his a$$. But first I'd try to avoid losing a friend. You mentioned he was older. That may or not be an excuse for his thinking. Some good advice has been posted. You know all the details better than us readers. I would like to think this can be remedied with no damage done to either party. And on a side note, he may just be picking at you. Who knows? Go see him.

Do what ever you want its your cattle and relationship and you know the situation better then any of us readers but what i`ll add to this is go face to face and talk. IF you give him the money i would tell him (and make it VERY CLEAR) that if he ever asked for more money after a deal again there would be no more sales to you ever again and (probably before what i just said) ask him if he would be giving you money back if the heifers at sale barn had sold lower :2cents:

If you dont give him the money theres nothing wrong with that i would sleep just fine either way

My dad raised me to stand by my word, even if I have to take some lumps. If you did what was agreed upon, you did your job. Sounds like the old man wasn't taught that lesson. As SPH said, a deal's a deal.

Simple. If he hasn't cashed the check yet, load up the heifers and take them back and ask for the check back. See how fast his tune changes. If check has cleared, then it is a done deal and find someone else to deal with in the future. A person only gets to pull that stunt once.

A man is as good as his word. I can't imagine telling somebody one thing, and doing something else.

I think it is a bad deal if he was the one that priced them. I have priced some before of a weight guess and guess low, still sold them for what I priced per head but still was at market by the time I counted commission and the haul.

Do as you wish, but if I did pay him more I would sure make a point to ask what if the price had been less would you give me a refund?

dun":3j948cks said:
The worst part of the deal is if you don;t cough up the extra bucks your reputation will take beating.
I view it the complete opposite way.

Jackson":272q5cbb said:
They are in my pasture. Have been since Sunday. He called me yesterday evening, Monday. I did not know what to say so I just let out a oooook and then said I would call him back.

I'm with those who have stated they wouldn't pay anything. If he has cashed the check I would tell him the deal is done. If he hasn't and refuses to I would tell him to come and get the heifers but that I would hold them until he paid for their pasture and care for the time they have been on your place and also for the fuel it cost you to haul them home. There is no excuse for this type of behavior and giving him even a cent just encourages it in the future. You will be doing everyone a favor by not giving him anymore. If he is an older gentleman he should know the proper way to do business. It might also be that the person who told him they would bring more is a pot stirrer.

js1234":1y9qu43k said:
dun":1y9qu43k said:
The worst part of the deal is if you don;t cough up the extra bucks your reputation will take beating.
If the seller gives his side of the deal, i.e. "I was cheated into selling too low", who is going to know the other side of the story.

one thing i havent noticed anybody ask. Have you checked the auction report to see if they actually sold for more or is he just taking his "buddies" word for it. either way i wouldnt give him more money but it would be good to know

Lots of angles to view this situation from, I still see it as the deal was done, but how to move forward is up to the buyer and what he thinks is the best. I have read some other comments, on the matter, that are possible, maybe the seller could be just throwing it out there that he should have gotten more for them. I have heard people say things to the effect of so and so said they were worth more. Maybe the neighbor that supposedly told him they would have brought more, was stirring the pot, or had wanted them himself and just rubbing it in. Since the seller is said to be older, then maybe he is just becoming indecisive and has a hard time making up his mind. I had an experience a few years ago. In visiting with an older friend that I had bought some cattle from several years earlier, he found out that I was in the market to buy some heifer calves, and suggested that I look at his. I knew they would be good calves, so a couple weeks later, he had them weaned and I went to look at them. He priced them and I agreed, then when trying to get the details of how many, he didn't know how many were heifers, and then he wanted to keep a few of them. He then started implying he didn't know if he priced them right, he wanted to be fair to both sides. I knew by then he wasn't comfortable with selling them, so I told him, that he could back out of the deal because I didn't want any hard feelings. We are still friends today.

The man was dead serious when he said he "thinks he needs more money because of what they were bringing", he said that he did not know they were bringing that much. I appreciate all the replies, it has me thinking. I hate to mess up the relationship, I know if I don't give him the money I can never go over there again, but then part of me says you don't want to deal with someone that can be like that. I also don't want him spreading anything negative around about me, I don't know if he would do that or not. I don't know what I am going to do.

Jackson":13hoj1c4 said:
The man was dead serious when he said he "thinks he needs more money because of what they were bringing", he said that he did not know they were bringing that much. I appreciate all the replies, it has me thinking. I hate to mess up the relationship, I know if I don't give him the money I can never go over there again, but then part of me says you don't want to deal with someone that can be like that. I also don't want him spreading anything negative around about me, I don't know if he would do that or not. I don't know what I am going to do.

Be a MAN and do what right. Tell him he is wrong. If your worried about what people will think of you because he is being an unscrupulous cattleman then you have bigger issues.
that's not intended to be degrading to you its just the truth.
In this world you have a responsibility you yourself and your family, not him. So what if people talk, If they are talking about you then they are leaving someone else alone. and if your reputation is your a man verbal /handshake agreements that's far better than being know as someone that cowers to pressure.

It sounds like you value this relationship somewhat. Which definitely complicates the situation. The easiest thing would be to offer them back to him for your payment. Plus fuel costs. It voids the transaction. And he gets a second chance to get the money he thinks he deserves. Only take this route if you really like the guy. Otherwise forget about the situation.

If ya like him pretty good maybe just give him the money to shut him up.

Long term, would it hurt you at all to not be in good with this fella?

Jackson":1h4it2m4 said:
Would you take the old man 150 more dollars to keep the peace in case you want to buy more?

Why would you want to buy more? How would you know that he wouldn't try and raise the price again after the next deal was made? I'd ask for my money back and he can come and get the cows.

Jackson":dla0prcv said:

If you do it then I have some I'd like to sell you.

dun":2ryn2jmi said:
js1234":2ryn2jmi said:
dun":2ryn2jmi said:
If the seller gives his side of the deal, i.e. "I was cheated into selling too low", who is going to know the other side of the story.

I wouldn't worry about that scenario because as a seller you hold leverage in a deal where until payment is received and the animal leaves your possession you set the price. Plus I feel the damage a buyer can do by spreading word that someone they bought from is now coming back asking for more money than the agreed price does more damage to the seller than it would the buyer. A buyer can repair any false damage by saying I'll show up with my trailer and cash and I don't know a breeder out there who would turn down a sale like that.

I don't think most people would take someone seriously when they claim they got cheated into selling too low because ultimately you as the seller have some leverage to dictate the price you feel is acceptable and if a buyer doesn't agree to that you move on and find someone who will pay it. Most bad stories you hear are from buyers who feel they have been cheated by a breeder who did not properly represent what they were selling or a buyer who stiffed a seller on payment. Bottom line is get sale agreements in writing that why there is no interpretation to the price or terms of sale and situations like this don't happen. Like many others said, if he cashed the check that is all the paper trail you really need to say that he accepted payment on the heifers.

Right or wrong you should give him the money. $150 is not worth having anything bad said. I would pay him and move on. If he ever calls again I would use it as leverage and stress the deal is done when the gate closes.

We need to remember in the business world the right way is not always the right way.

Also the way I look at it is I'm in my thirty's I have 30+ years of doing business. You just never know down the road what might happen or who you may need. It might not be the older guy but someone he talked to.

You have to ask what $150 is really worth in the long run?????

Jackson":1nuvy2mu said:
I hate to mess up the relationship, I know if I don't give him the money I can never go over there again
You clearly value the relationship more than he does.

I don't see knuckling under as being the right call. Part of me would want to tell him to shove it, but you know your situation better than us. At most, I would tell him a deal should be a deal, but offer to split the difference. He needs to be told this isn't an acceptable practice. Regardless, I sure wouldn't buy anything from him again. It's a no win situation. Anyone that would call back looking for more money is also the type of person to tell all his buddies how you tried to cheat him.

Latest posts