My lady wants a milk cow

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a milk cow for years. Sometimes we had 2, so that when one dried up, we milked the other one. Funny, we still had 2 to milk at times and nothing at other times. When he had to milk two, Mr. FH said it was a dairy. He wasn't very happy. This was before much about AI was known in our area, so we had to use a bull. Our very best cow was a Holstein Shorthorn cross we called Blue. Her milk was really good, she was easy to milk and was generally a good cow. The week we were moving to SW Montana, she threw a fit. I don't know how she knew something was up, but she did. We milked a Black Angus first, then a Guernsey cross that was incredibly easy to milk. That's the cow I learned to milk. We called her Dribble Tit. 😉 Then we bought a purebred Guernsey that we had with Blue. Next was a little cow part Brown Swiss, that was a rip. She wouldn't let her milk down. She had horns and knew how to use them. After her we had Honey Dew, Holstein, sweet cow, hard milker. But a great nurse cow. We had a flood and the creek was between us and the barn. We had to go all the way around by town to get on the barn side of the creek. We were able to let the milk cow out with her calf and another calf. She raised them both. Later that fall/winter we found her dead. The vet said it was a fast-acting pneumonia. That was the last of the milk cows. Anyone with milk cows have stories to tell. I could go on and on; like the purebred Guernsey had a bell on her because would hide in the brush and was hard to find. She was a character. But Blue was the best cow. She got out of sync and calved in August. It was hot and she got mastitis.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. We had pigs shut up and they got out and sucked the purebred Guernsey. They would follow behind her grunting and when she stopped, they got busy sucking her. We would shut them up and they would actually climb out of the pen. It wasn't a short pen either, it was a stall in the barn!! They were addicted to milk!!

Last edited:
We always had goats for milk. Occasionally would have a cow for milking, like one loose her calf or cow had way to much milk for the calf. Last year we got our first dairy cow, whoch would be solely for the milk. She came to us as a bred heifer from one our neighbour, joined with our herd for several months and we were able to make her our own property. She is very tiny, gives around 1,5 gallons of milk daily. She is due with her second calf at the end of May. We didn't need a big milky cow, so she is perfect. We drink milk, make butter, cheese, cream, almost everything what is possible to make. Way cheaper than to buy everything from the store. It sure is time consuming to milk her twice a day, but you always know what you're drinking or eating. I always liked cows milk. Could say grew up with it. Goats milk is different from cows, but can be tasty too. My little brother is obsessed with goats milk.

Well, we have experimented a bit with some of our Murray Grey Beef cows over the years.

Most took to milking within 3 sessions. Only one decided she would rather kick the crap outta me than be milked (only milked one session).

Milked twice a day for a week. After that I was done with it!

Cow 1 (Cocoa)- produced 3/4 gallon a day resulting in a pint per day of heavy cream plus rich raw milk (richer than store bought whole milk)
Cow 2 (Cleo)- produced 1 gallon and a pint a day with about 10 oz of heavy cream plus more normal raw milk (compareable in fat content to whole milk). We made her milk into both ice cream, cheese (simple soft cheese), and the whey into bread.
Cow 3 (Lucy)- the kicker, produced 1 gallon but was not stripped before I gave up fighting her. 22 oz of cream. No wonder she was holding out! We used all the cream from this cow plus one other to make fresh salted butter. I have never in my life had butter that tasted so good.
Cow 4 (Flower, Lucy's daughter)- no kicking, :cool:produced just over a gallon per session, about 19 oz of cream, slightly richer than store bought whole milk. By far my favorite cow to milk. The flavor was fantastic. She is also 50% MG and 50% Simmental sired by WLE Uno Mas. Cow 5 (Moonie 50% MG) - produced just over 3/4 a gallon a day. Very easy going cow. Waiting at the pasture gate when i got to the barn and in the mornings. Kids even took a turn milking her. Not enough cream to skim. I blame this on being part Charolais and Hereford ;).

Cleo. Flower and Moonie have been milked again in spurts. Pull the calf in the evening, milk in the morning and have your milk for the week.
No issues. We used unscented baby wipes to wipe down the teats before milking. Very little extra stuff in the milk. We ran it through cheesecloth fresh and used all of it raw. So much more flavor in the raw milk. I'll do it again in a heartbeat (when I have time).

Mind you these are not wild cows. We can walk out to any one of them in the pasture and give the a scratch or call them in for alfalfa or cubes. We used my kids 4-H fitting chute which has a head catch. Open the gate, have the alfalfa or grain ready and they run right in.

Good luck! I would think a Jersey or Jersey x would work fine for you.

My son and DIL have been saying they are going to start milking, I told them good I need cream to make butter but it just never happens.
They have a jersey cow with a calf on her side and just bought 3 jersey heifers, but their not milking yet. LOL.
My grandparents milked 2 cows until they couldn't do it anymore.
They would skim the cream and give the skimmed milk to the hogs.

about milk...
Feed goat milk to human babies, not cow milk. There are different types of cow milk -
A1/A1
A1/A2
A2/A2
The only way to know what milk your cow produces is to test your cow. Ideally you want A2/A2 milk. When A1 protein is digested it can cause stomach upset due to the beta-casomorphin-7 peptide. A2 Holstein cows exist, but are not as common as A1 Holsteins. Holstein milk is usually lower on components (protein & fat) compared to other breeds like Jersey or Guernsey.

Yeah it's kind of like my wife keeps telling me she wants a horse until i remind her that she doesn't have the time to take care of one and I'm not doing it.

My wife told me she wanted a miniature donkey for this past Christmas. She did not get it!!

I believe I've mentioned before that my wife spent her whole life in the city until we got married. Shortly after we got married she wanted a horse. Bless her heart, she just doesn't have the personality for horses. When she'd get up in the saddle the horse was in charge. It didn't go well.

After we'd gone through two or three she came home day with a Samoyed puppy she had on a trial basis. I asked her how much, and she replied $100.00. I quickly said no. Her reply was "If I can have this puppy I won't ask for another horse." The next words out of my mouth were "What's the puppy's name?"

Drank it right from the cow in the 40's, after filtering through a cheesecloth. The cream in/on morning cereal was the best. Used what we got while "stripping" after milking. Didn't hurt us. Didn't get breakfast till after the cows were milked, barn shoveled and cows back in the pasture.

Those who say she won't last long are right. Was a lot of work. We used to separate the cream, sell it and use the skim to feed the pigs. Life was very different in the early 40's.

That sounds a lot like my life all through the '70's.

I think everyone's comments will pretty much assure his wife will not be getting her milk cow. It's a lot of logistic work moving a cow in and out of a stall, cleaning the utters, then hand milking without contamination and heavy feet moving around. I hand milked a goat before...takes some time to get the milk squirting process flowing too. Great exercise for your hands though. I'd be a bit timid about getting myself that close under a heavy strong footed cow. Get her a training goat first. If she can milk a goat for a week and she enjoys the labor intensity (she doesn't have to like goat's milk)...then buy her that cow.

. . . . I'd be a bit timid about getting myself that close under a heavy strong footed cow. Get her a training goat first. If she can milk a goat for a week and she enjoys the labor intensity (she doesn't have to like goat's milk)...then buy her that cow.

I've been kicked a few times when milking a cow. I still don't think that made me as mad as the times I'd be just about through and the cow would carefully lift her foot and put it down in the bucket.

I've been kicked a few times when milking a cow. I still don't think that made me as mad as the times I'd be just about through and the cow would carefully lift her foot and put it down in the bucket.
Getting slapped upside the head with her tail isn't fun either.
My grandpa would trim it the best he could.

I milk. Last year I bought my small jersey heifer and I swear, she was given to me by God himself. She is everything you think of when you picture yourself out in the barn, hand milking while the barn cats beg for milk and chickens cluck and scratch in the background. Her milk was fit for the angels on high to drink. I still can't understand how I got so lucky to have such a well behaved heifer that took to milking like she had been doing it her whole life. Long story short, she is dry for the next 9 months and I just couldn't stand not having milk that long. So I got on craigslist and facebook marketplace.
Now I have julia. Julia has only been a commercial cow. Took a few days to get her to let me scratch and pet her. Best way to win a cows heart is through their stomachs. lol. Anyway, julia had come along nicely since I brought her home. I could touch her all over, including the udder. That is until she had her calf. (got the birth on video and pulled the shoulders out to!) I got her into the milk stanchion 3 times before it became impossible. Now, the milk stanchion isn't made in mind for a cow that will not, under no circumstances, put her head in it. I was ready to sale the crazy b!#ch. Buuuuuut I am even more stubborn. It's a flaw sometimes. Drives my husband crazy I'm sure. So, now julia is forever to be a barn lot cow so that I can "easily" (it's getting better) run her into the (beef) cattle working shoot with head catch and not have to run all over the fields chasing her. I put a anti kick bar on and she is a dream to milk while she eats her grain and alfalfa hay. Like I said, it's getting easier. Takes me more time to get her into the shoot than to actually milk her I think. I am having to milk morning and night right now until either I get another calf or her calf can take it all. Then I will be able to pull the calf overnight and milk the next morning or evening. That allows us to be able to go on vacations or I am just exhausted (I work full time in a hospital). Yes, the mornings I work in town I do have to get up at 4am to get her milked, everything cleaned and me public presentable and out the door by 545 to get to work by 630. Makes for a long day. And yes, she has to go longer than 12 hours between milkings those days.
The only time my husband helps is by either separating the cow and calf (when I milked Jill last year) or letting them back together.

All that to say, you might be surprised by your wife. She might just love to milk. But i really think if you do help her get a cow you should invest in a anti kicker bar. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than a broken arm or even superficial injury. Even a milk bucket getting kicked over on the 2nd to last squeeze is worth the roughly $30. That and it's all about calf sharing.
What's her plan with the milk? I've made yogurt and lots of butter. I am currently trying to make edible cheeses. lol. It's a learning process. And not exactly cheep, but lets face it, most hobbies aren't.

I milk. Last year I bought my small jersey heifer and I swear, she was given to me by God himself. She is everything you think of when you picture yourself out in the barn, hand milking while the barn cats beg for milk and chickens cluck and scratch in the background. Her milk was fit for the angels on high to drink. I still can't understand how I got so lucky to have such a well behaved heifer that took to milking like she had been doing it her whole life. Long story short, she is dry for the next 9 months and I just couldn't stand not having milk that long. So I got on craigslist and facebook marketplace.
Now I have julia. Julia has only been a commercial cow. Took a few days to get her to let me scratch and pet her. Best way to win a cows heart is through their stomachs. lol. Anyway, julia had come along nicely since I brought her home. I could touch her all over, including the udder. That is until she had her calf. (got the birth on video and pulled the shoulders out to!) I got her into the milk stanchion 3 times before it became impossible. Now, the milk stanchion isn't made in mind for a cow that will not, under no circumstances, put her head in it. I was ready to sale the crazy b!#ch. Buuuuuut I am even more stubborn. It's a flaw sometimes. Drives my husband crazy I'm sure. So, now julia is forever to be a barn lot cow so that I can "easily" (it's getting better) run her into the (beef) cattle working shoot with head catch and not have to run all over the fields chasing her. I put a anti kick bar on and she is a dream to milk while she eats her grain and alfalfa hay. Like I said, it's getting easier. Takes me more time to get her into the shoot than to actually milk her I think. I am having to milk morning and night right now until either I get another calf or her calf can take it all. Then I will be able to pull the calf overnight and milk the next morning or evening. That allows us to be able to go on vacations or I am just exhausted (I work full time in a hospital). Yes, the mornings I work in town I do have to get up at 4am to get her milked, everything cleaned and me public presentable and out the door by 545 to get to work by 630. Makes for a long day. And yes, she has to go longer than 12 hours between milkings those days.
The only time my husband helps is by either separating the cow and calf (when I milked Jill last year) or letting them back together.

All that to say, you might be surprised by your wife. She might just love to milk. But i really think if you do help her get a cow you should invest in a anti kicker bar. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than a broken arm or even superficial injury. Even a milk bucket getting kicked over on the 2nd to last squeeze is worth the roughly $30. That and it's all about calf sharing.
What's her plan with the milk? I've made yogurt and lots of butter. I am currently trying to make edible cheeses. lol. It's a learning process. And not exactly cheep, but lets face it, most hobbies aren't.
Yawn....................................................................ad infintim

Ah hell. That's just LVR. Some are long winded, some pontificate. Me, I'm just a smart ass. I didn't know about. An anti kick bar. I learned something. It takes all kinds!
I can't count the times I've sit on a T stool with my head jammed into the side of a cow with a milk bucket between my knees.
We never used 'kickers' on a cow as it was a sure way to get hurt.
I wonder if she knows a woman can get Pop Eye arms from milking too many cows by hand?

BTDT... had a jersey that would do it about once every 10 days or so.... ALWAYS on the day I needed milk for calves or something....GRRRR

Latest posts