Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

Everyone that buys cattle has made some great deals on buying cattle cheap. But I've never taken advantage of a friend or plan to. I've bought cows and told the guy I was stealing them at that price, and he still sold them to me. A deal is a deal for sure, and only you know if you stole the heifers. Why not just give him the heifers back?

Best way is he takes his heifers back if he wants them... and refunds you, I wouldn't bother with the grass they ate if you want to stay on good terms.

Otherwise, at least draw a line, haggle, tell him you'll give him $150 extra for BOTH heifers, not the $300 he's asking for..

The thing is I don't think he thinks it is a big deal to ask for more money. He don't see it as a big deal. A cattle sale among friends I guess. I really think he doesn't see it as a big deal because I am so much younger than him.

Since he's a friend, can't you calmly talk to him and explain how you don't think it's honest to go back on a deal, and ask him how he'd feel in your shoes?

yeh I guess that is what its come to, I told him I would get back with him. I just wanted to see what other folks would do in this situation. I wanted to hear yall's opinions.

Bestoutwest":2p0h284e said:
You would feel this way if the plumber called you and stated you owed him more money? How about the cable company? The electric company? No. This is no different. Maybe this guy did lose money. You know what? That's business. You screw up, you lose money. In no way should this person pay him more money.

I actually am a plumber and I can't count how many times ive had to take a loss on a job because I messed up on the bid. Just the way it goes, it's my mistake not the customers. I Just consider it a learning experience.
I'd tell him to bring my money and come get his cows, but only your the one who will have to deal with the situation, so do what's best for you.

RiverHills":qn1z5npg said:
Right or wrong you should give him the money. $150 is not worth having anything bad said. I would pay him and move on. If he ever calls again I would use it as leverage and stress the deal is done when the gate closes.

We need to remember in the business world the right way is not always the right way.

You have to ask what $150 is really worth in the long run?????
It's priceless.
If he were a friend and needed the money, I'd give him whatever amount well into the many thousands if he just asked for it, that said I wouldn't pay him $1 under these pretenses.
I buy or sell at least one set of cattle basically every day and I have never once asked for or given a concession to price after the deal is done simply because someone on the other end or myself feels out traded.
If there were an issue with the cattle things would be different.
Business is business and a deal is a deal. That said, you're 100% right, telling him no may come up again in another transaction down the road. If I were in the OP's shoes and it did, I'd be happy to acknowledge that it was all true and I refused to be played. I view whipping out the "poor me, friend card" as more weak hearted than almost any other coyote trader trick out there and should be dealt with very firmly.
Tell him no and tell him in the future you don't want to buy his cattle at any price. A handshake deal is a sacred thing in the cattle business and if someone backpedals once, I can never view them as a solvent person to deal with again.
As others have stated, one's reputation in this business is just as crucial as having good finances.
In our operation, one of the main ways we protect our reputation for honesty, integrity, being solid financially and for our word as being our bond is by refusing to do business with those who use suspect practices such as your "friend". Like it or not, you are very much in this business associated with who you conduct your dealings with.
Just be glad that he tipped his hand and showed his character when the stakes were so low.

talltimber":ur5sue1r said:
We don't know how bad you want to remain "friends?". We don't know why you would want to remain "friends?" with someone who does what he did? For a source of cattle that work for you, that are at a price that you find acceptable? Is the sale barn price acceptable as well? If you hadn't bought them, would they have been at the sale?
1. If he is an old man that is susceptible to forgetfulness or bad decisions (if you're getting over on an old man like that, lucky his boys don't find out), and/or you want to remain friends, then pay up. Or you take them back and get your check. Done. Adjust your future buying accordingly.
2. If he is an old codger trying to pull a fast one, and you don't care if you whiz him off or not - your call. Tell him to pound sand, come pick them up and bring the check you gave him and another for your time, fuel, and the grass they ate. Deal is a deal, if he wants to crawfish, he will have to pay the bs you can bill him for. Or go to small claims or whatever.
3. If you just want done with it, tell him come get them and bring your check, or you all figure what he would have paid for trucking/commission, subtract that off the $150, pay him, and call it even.
Only you know what will make you both happy, if anything. Be able to sleep at night. Don't do anything you wouldn't want your Granny to know about.

edit: Reading the above post you made, sounds like you better just pay him. I think that's the way you're leaning. And if you are cool with it, I sure am. Sounds like a wishy washy old man that is fun to talk to, not necessarily buy from though.

I don't think we know enough of the story really. I was looking at it more like what TT in 1.

Right or wrong I don't like my name being dragged through the mud. This situation don't happen much I hope. If it did they wouldn't be in business long. I sure wouldn't ever do business with them again.

Jackson I don't think your in the wrong at all. As long as there was know communication issues we don't know about.

I think I ask for my money back and then volunteer to haul them to the sale barn. (and then buy them at the sale barn, possibly for less money)

Wouldn't it be great to buy them for less money and have him absorb the sale fees.

Everybody thinks they should top the market, but guys like this don't have the kind that top it.

Don't put this off. Call him back and tell him no! Putting it off won't help. I can't even believe some of you would give the money. Even if a "friend" did this I'd tell him no. Hes no friend. Someone said 150 is not that big of a deal. It's 150 per head not 150 total. What if you had bought 25 and he came back wanting 150 a head more? I don't think a single one of you would even consider handing it over.

Craig Miller":1jwyp0o9 said:
Don't put this off. Call him back and tell him no! Putting it off won't help. I can't even believe some of you would give the money. Even if a "friend" did this I'd tell him no. Hes no friend. Someone said 150 is not that big of a deal. It's 150 per head not 150 total. What if you had bought 25 and he came back wanting 150 a head more? I don't think a single one of you would even consider handing it over.
. Very well stated. Regardless of the amount it is the principle. Seller's remorse doesn't make this ok.

I am going to make some assumptions so keep this in mind.

Was the price with the added 150 about market price? To me I'm guessing this older man normally would be selling his calves at the auction and would not have sold them to you other than he has been helping you out for a while now. He probably didn't want to take the best 2 out of his bunch before hauling them to the auction but was doing you a favor. Sounds like he was not up on market price. I am assuming he thought you knew he was doing you a favor by helping you out and you would understand being friends that he messed up on the price. Has he been good help getting you started with cattle, do you want to continue getting this help? The guy is probably an old codger...but I'm guessing he has given you way more than $150 worth of advice.

I agree with the others, the deal was made and technically you don't owe him a cent more....but if my assumptions are correct and the top market price for the calves would be with the 150 added, I would pay him.

Communication is the key... Stop by and talk to him. Tell him your side and listen to his, you'll find a solution. Communication.

A few keep talking about paying the old man to save your reputation. If you have a good reputation to start with, what will this change? Plus, you will earn the added reputation of being a pushover. May make it hard to seal future deals, everyone will keep coming back on you. Principles, stand on them. Very few do these days.
You are not the crawdad on this deal. I was always told not to price something if you didn't want to sell it. Talk to the man, you're gonna find out quick if he really is your friend or not.

this is in North Florida. I still haven't contacted him. The more and more I let this go and think about it, the more and more I am about to take the advice of most in here- and don't give him a dime. I am starting to feel like he has no right to ask for any more money. Just like the one guy said- sometimes you quote wrong and its not the customers fault. You learn from it and move on, well the old man can learn from it I guess. If it ends the relationship then so be it. Now I just have to get up the nerve to tell him this. lol.

Latest posts