Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

dang..i usually feel bad and offer a deal next time or some moneys back....I always charge too little. tell the old man if his word aint no good you cant deal with him anymore..hand him the cash and walk away

The one that runs on Monday in Columbia County, North Florida Livestock I think its called, the one that is down the road from Columbia Market that runs on Wednesdays.

I would do one of 2 things: A)- Tell him he can have them back, and get my money back or B)- Sorry, but a deal is a deal and ask him had the "value" been lower would he have been inclined to give me some of my money back.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Either way, don't waste any more time, get in touch with him.

You have mentioned 3 or 4 times about getting up the nerve to talk to him. Maybe the reason the fella upped the price on you is because he senses weakness, and knows you'll just take it. Man up, go talk to him, explain your position, tell him to pound sand, and then offer a handshake. If he don't accept that, pizz on him. Move on.

Jackson":1z1j7ki2 said:
this is in North Florida. I still haven't contacted him. The more and more I let this go and think about it, the more and more I am about to take the advice of most in here- and don't give him a dime. I am starting to feel like he has no right to ask for any more money. Just like the one guy said- sometimes you quote wrong and its not the customers fault. You learn from it and move on, well the old man can learn from it I guess. If it ends the relationship then so be it. Now I just have to get up the nerve to tell him this. lol.

Make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's. Do you have documentation that there was a deal, a contract so-to-speak? Have you branded them yet? I would personally be worried about covering my butt to make sure that he can't bring the sheriff over and create problems. Hate to be paranoid, but people suck and things escalate quickly.

Clodhopper":1vc5g5ll said:
A few keep talking about paying the old man to save your reputation. If you have a good reputation to start with, what will this change? Plus, you will earn the added reputation of being a pushover. May make it hard to seal future deals, everyone will keep coming back on you. Principles, stand on them. Very few do these days.
You are not the crawdad on this deal. I was always told not to price something if you didn't want to sell it. Talk to the man, you're gonna find out quick if he really is your friend or not.

I don't get this either, the worst reputation you really can get as a buyer is taking possession of cattle then stiffing the seller on payment if he didn't ask for it up front. I don't care who the guy is, if someone was belly aching to me that he asked for another $150 a head on some cattle he sold after the fact he already took payment and delivery on them I wouldn't think bad of the buyer at all, I'd question the seller's motives. Like I said before, bringing your trailer and having cash in hand is all you need to solidify your reputation as a trustworthy buyer if someone has doubts about you. This guy isn't the only one that sells cattle so like others said, man up and stand firm that the deal has been completed. I think you risk more to your own reputation by caving into his demands than you do showing you aren't a pushover. Most reasonable cattlemen would probably respect you more for standing up for yourself I would think and if he doesn't well then you know you made the right decision by cutting ties with him and there are plenty of reputable cattlemen out there that would be glad to do business with you.

The sale barn doesn't call you up the next week after the cattle prices have dropped asking for some money back because the calves you just sold the other week wouldn't bring as much now as they did then, all sale prices are final once money has exchanged hands.

Man I'd love to see a pic of these heifers..
I'd also love to know what you bought them for..

ALACOWMAN":1wcr3yud said:
One thing I would do if I were him, be kicking my own a$$.. Not gonna ask for more money after the deal..
+1

Ol' 243":iz3k5fr4 said:
You have mentioned 3 or 4 times about getting up the nerve to talk to him. Maybe the reason the fella upped the price on you is because he senses weakness, and knows you'll just take it. Man up, go talk to him, explain your position, tell him to pound sand, and then offer a handshake. If he don't accept that, pizz on him. Move on.
Certainly possible.

Well at least some of us will hear both sides of the story, if there's anything to it. There's a few folks that sell at the barns Jackson mentioned, and I sure hope the old man wasn't uncle Ernie.

I talked to him. I guess we were not on the same page as to how we were to come to a selling price. According to him the price we were bargaining was to be a price that was fair to what heifers were bringing at the sale. I was coming up with my own price, a good price and if he took it great, if I wanted sale barn prices I would go to the sale barn. But I guess I can see kinda where he is coming from. I saved him a trip to the sale because that is where he was taking them soon enough, so he wanted to get what he could of got at the sale, minus the cost to take them. When he found out they were bringing more than he thought, well that's when he called to get more money. He said do whatever I thought was right and we left it at that.

All these post with everyone assuming things without knowing both sides. Communication in any deal is huge and even more so with an old person. Between hearing and maybe confusen it can be challenging. I'm speaking from experience. I talk to an old man from time to time that I have to almost scream for him to hear me. I didn't know he wasn't hearing me correctly until his nephew talked to me. His nephew would come to me after talking to him and have a different story. I would have to explain to his nephew then the old man over again it would make me feel so dumb.

Jackson you probably feel bad about everything. But I think the outcome will be a lot better this way. It is a very good learning experience and how important communication can be. Also you get to keep a friend that is probably loaded with information and stories good or bad. :banana:

Latest posts