Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

Only you know him. If it was my neighbor Johnny or the guy who watches my farm (I have sold him several head), I would pay him the $150. Why? Because I could say "we parted on the square". Meaning, I would never conduct business with them again but I could feel safe that all past business was settled to their satisfaction. To me, Peace of mind is worth a lot.

I would rather be taken advantage of in a case like this than live with a neighbor who thinks I cheated him.

They are in my pasture. Have been since Sunday. He called me yesterday evening, Monday. I did not know what to say so I just let out a oooook and then said I would call him back.

Jackson":1dyob77h said:
They are in my pasture. Have been since Sunday. He called me yesterday evening, Monday. I did not know what to say so I just let out a oooook and then said I would call him back.

See above. Ask him if the situation was reversed, and heifers hadn't done well at the auction, would he be offering you some of your money back?

If there was some sort of a deal that it was "The price I'd get at the sale yard that week" I could see this as a legitimate request.. Doesn't sound like that was the case, he set a price and you paid it. They're on your place, and you've paid for them, that's the end of the deal!
As Rafter S said.. ask if he'd be giving you a refund, that ought to shut him up

I'd go ahead and give him the additional money AND let him know that there will never be "another time". Let him think on it awhile.

Rafter S":18c8x2a7 said:
Jackson":18c8x2a7 said:

See above. Ask him if the situation was reversed, and heifers hadn't done well at the auction, would he be offering you some of your money back?

Sounds like sound advice to me.

Depending on if he got sarcastic or not, I would offer his heifers back at the new higher price....after all, the price apparently is rising again. Ok, I really wouldn't say that, but I would consider telling him the deal is off and to come get his cattle (and refund the money I paid)...if he got sarcastic after I asked him Rafter S's question...

The worst part of the deal is if you don;t cough up the extra bucks your reputation will take beating.

I'd try and talk it out with the guy but he wouldn't be getting any more of my money. If he can't live with that then he could come get the cattle if he paid for your time and feed which might just come to that $150 he was trying to get from you.

either way you go it would be my last trip with him....

the element that is unknown to us is the relative value of the animals and how it relates to what you paid him....

inyati13":igpgogr1 said:
Only you know him. If it was my neighbor Johnny or the guy who watches my farm (I have sold him several head), I would pay him the $150. Why? Because I could say "we parted on the square". Meaning, I would never conduct business with them again but I could feel safe that all past business was settled to their satisfaction. To me, Peace of mind is worth a lot.

I would rather be taken advantage of in a case like this than live with a neighbor who thinks I cheated him.

this is the response that most reflects my feelings on the matter.

A deal is a deal. Once you've made the deal you stick to your word. What if the market took a huge crash the day after you paid for your purchase? Would you as a buyer be in the right to go back and say that they aren't worth what you just paid for them so you want a refund for the difference? There is no way a seller would do that so why should you as a buyer have to pay more on top of what you already agreed to pay because he now thinks they are worth more? I've seen a few posts like this one now and it just ticks me off that there are some guys out there that are essentially intimidating their customers like this. I don't care who the breeder is or if they raise good cattle, sometimes you find out you should have priced something higher than you did but once you've agreed to sell at a price your reputation should mean more to honor that price than to be sleazy and try to milk a few more bucks out of a sale by asking for more after you agreed on the price.

We require at least a $500 deposit on any bull someone agrees to buy from us if they don't want to pay in full before they take possession of the bull and the reason behind that is 2 fold: the first reason is it gives us some kind of protection when a buyer agrees to buy a bull in February or March then decides to bail out (has never happened thankfully) when it comes time to take possession and pay in full and the 2nd reason is that gives the buyer some confidence that we aren't going to sell the bull out from under him if someone were to come along and offer us more money for the bull. We agree to keep the bulls on feed until May 1 along with them passing a BSE, getting ultrasound data and yearling measurements, and DNA tested for genetic defects so that deposit comes along with guarantees on our part that we're committed to the sale agreement and being as transparent as we can.

I guess the bottom line is do you really want to do business with a breeder that can't honor the deal they agreed to? To me that's just opening the door to more problems when you enable someone to do something like that and quite frankly there are plenty of people that raise good cattle that do business the right way that it's not worth making a sale that complicated when it shouldn't be. A breeder's integrity and reputation should be worth something to them not to try and do something like that.

reputation is a 2 way street... anyone who has half a brain will understand your position.

Did you pay by check? If he cashed it, the deal is DONE, if he hasn't, have him pick up the heifers and give you your check back

Most of you guys are nicer than me, I'd tell him to eat shyt, or come pick up his heifers and bring me my money.

I told a friend a few weeks ago that I was interested in a couple of his bred heifers, he named a price and told me it would not be a choice, but just whichever ones came through the gate first. I said I'd be over to look at them in a couple of days. Two days later he pulls up to my farm with his trailer with three real nice bred heifers on it, he caught em up for someone else and the guy stood him up. He unloaded em and said to pay him when I wanted to. I agreed. A couple of weeks went by and I called him and told him I was coming over with the cash, he said to deduct 150 dollars each because the market had dropped since then, I refused and paid him the agreed upon amount. That is the kind of guy you wanna do business with, not this guy you are dealing with.

SPH":hrly6c8i said:
A deal is a deal. Once you've made the deal you stick to your word. What if the market took a huge crash the day after you paid for your purchase? Would you as a buyer be in the right to go back and say that they aren't worth what you just paid for them so you want a refund for the difference? There is no way a seller would do that so why should you as a buyer have to pay more on top of what you already agreed to pay because he now thinks they are worth more? I've seen a few posts like this one now and it just ticks me off that there are some guys out there that are essentially intimidating their customers like this. I don't care who the breeder is or if they raise good cattle, sometimes you find out you should have priced something higher than you did but once you've agreed to sell at a price your reputation should mean more to honor that price than to be sleazy and try to milk a few more bucks out of a sale by asking for more after you agreed on the price.

For this reason here I wouldn't give another dime.

I would offer to let him have them back for what you paid. I darn sure wouldn't give him any more money. No matter if he took them back or let it stand I would be sure to let him know that a deal is a deal and that by doing this he may very well be limiting himself to selling at the sale barn in the future. And if he is anything but nice I would tell every cattleman in five counties what he tried.

Dave":bkt9fg8t said:
I would offer to let him have them back for what you paid. I darn sure wouldn't give him any more money. No matter if he took them back or let it stand I would be sure to let him know that a deal is a deal and that by doing this he may very well be limiting himself to selling at the sale barn in the future. And if he is anything but nice I would tell every cattleman in five counties what he tried.

This is exactly why you honor deals you made and if it means you might have made a mistake and sold something for less than you should have. Word gets around and your reputation takes a hit when someone feels they have been screwed over and that's not something that is easy to repair once the damage has been done. We've had folks come look at cattle and bad mouth some breeders we know because of a deal gone bad or they feel they weren't being honest with them and you wonder just how many other people they have shared that with in the process. We'd never bad mouth another breeder just to make a sale either, that's just not good business and that kind of talk can also get around and backfire on you too even if there is possibly some truth to something. Once it's out there it's really hard to take it back.

dun":2847dirn said:
The worst part of the deal is if you don;t cough up the extra bucks your reputation will take beating.
Do you really think so?

Seems to me his would. Him telling me that story, I'd side with Jackson, whatever Jackson did.

At some point, a deal's a deal.

This man would never see another red cent from me unless
1) he has helped, aided, educated, loaned me something or mentored me in some way or
2) we had a very informal deal that was based around current market value or
3) his attitude is very pleasant, and I enjoy visiting and doing business with him

Correct me if I misunderstood but the deal was done until the sellers "buddy" told him prices were higher at the Sale Barn. Jackson, do you know Buddy Boy? And is there any discord between you? Regardless, I agree that paying the additional $150, one-and-done-we're-out. It is a ranch expense so write it off on your taxes and call it a learning experience.

We sell quite a few calves to our neighbor. Load 'em up, weigh the entire trailer, calculate the average weight, compare to the most recent Sale Barn prices, calc the average price per pound, he adds an additional $2.00 per head because they've been fully vaccinated/weaned, done deal. We may make more at the Barn - we may make less. But it works for us & word of mouth has segued into other private treaty sales for our bred heifers. No formal contracts, you're only as good as your word.

Jackson, are you sure that he wasn't joking? I just can't believe that anyone would seriously ask for more $ after you've already taken possession.. Either he's dumber than a box of rocks or he's got a set the size of beach balls..or both..

Latest posts