Schaff Valley Angus-thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Robert on the New Day bull he makes really nice females and the bulls are easy to market, he provides the maternal power I want for retaining heifers in our purebred operation but also provides the performance that my commercial bull buyers are looking for. I am now watching the Game Day bull to see if he is going to be the replacement for his daddy. I still have New Day in the tank and am using him to flush some cows with we like him alot. We currently have four flush brothers out of New Day that are looking really good.

http://www.gizmoangus.com
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com

Frankie":3vzvtk7d said:
RD-Sam":3vzvtk7d said:
It's not just the fawn calf appearance that is the problem, there are reports that the beef from a fawn calf has a bad taste. It needs to be gotten under control before it ends up ruining the breed.

Reall? I just read a report that said there was no difference in the meat from a FC animal and a normal one.

Where is the report? That is not what the australians say and they are the ones that found FCS about 8 years ago. There have also been reports of bad tasting beef from fawn calves in this country.

jscunn":2d9e82q2 said:
Frankie,

I would love to have a link to that report. It would certainly ease my worst fear about FCS. Thanks in advance

Actually, I "recall" reading the same thing. The question of putting some meat to my recollection may be another story . . . I'll see what I can do.

RD-Sam":2c2i2o9q said:
Frankie":2c2i2o9q said:
RD-Sam":2c2i2o9q said:
It's not just the fawn calf appearance that is the problem, there are reports that the beef from a fawn calf has a bad taste. It needs to be gotten under control before it ends up ruining the breed.

Reall? I just read a report that said there was no difference in the meat from a FC animal and a normal one.

Where is the report? That is not what the australians say and they are the ones that found FCS about 8 years ago. There have also been reports of bad tasting beef from fawn calves in this country.

Where's your report saying there is a problem with FC meat?

There is a huge FCS topic on Advantage, you can see where a couple of well respected doctors have reported a bad taste, you can also go to the Australian Angus site and find info on FCS.

RD-Sam":63tchxd2 said:
There is a huge FCS topic on Advantage, you can see where a couple of well respected doctors have reported a bad taste, you can also go to the Australian Angus site and find info on FCS.

Learn something new everytime I get on CT. I did not know that doctors were any better at tasting than the rest of us.

Cowdirt":3qbs7xu2 said:
RD-Sam":3qbs7xu2 said:

Learn something new everytime I get on CT. I did not know that doctors were any better at tasting than the rest of us.

I guess you could look at it that way if you want to. :p

RD-Sam":2u8lj94v said:
Cowdirt":2u8lj94v said:
RD-Sam":2u8lj94v said:

I guess you could look at it that way if you want to. :p

If I remember right- because of these reports of the meat being bad tasting- Dr. Denholm mentioned he would like to feed out- and do some blind taste testing using the herd of FCS cattle he's raised....

RD-Sam":1sxli1mz said:

You're making the claim that FC beef is bad and will ruin the breed based on an internet discussion board! That's the basis of your comment? Why do I bother being surprised? :eek:

However it tasted, it wasn't enough to keep it on the shelves at our local supermarket, the lack of difference in taste/tenderness over the supermarkets brand, and the roughly $1.00 a pound more they charged for it, people apparently tried it once or twice, then went back to what they normally bought. The butcher said they held on to it for as long has they could. It disappeared off the shelves about 2 weeks ago. I don't remember buying any there, but with about 80% of the nations cow herd having some Angus blood in them, I'm sure I've ate it more than once, taste pretty good.

Frankie":1mjapw0m said:
RD-Sam":1mjapw0m said:

You're making the claim that FC beef is bad and will ruin the breed based on an internet discussion board! That's the basis of your comment? Why do I bother being surprised? :eek:

An internet discussion board made up of some of the Australian Veterinarians and scientists that discovered it years ago- and first made it public over here- and that have been studying it for years... If we were waiting for the AAA -- we still wouldn't know it existed as they have been in denial....
Those Australians studying it have so far shown much more credibility than the semen pimps and breeders that covered it up...

jscunn":2cmb6r7x said:
Frankie,

I would love to have a link to that report. It would certainly ease my worst fear about FCS. Thanks in advance

Frankie hasn't found it yet, but if there's any question about it, I'm sure the AAA's pr department will soon have a published report out that states there's absolutely no difference in taste. ;-) :)

Oldtimer":111o5clu said:
Frankie":111o5clu said:
RD-Sam":111o5clu said:

An internet discussion board made up of some of the Australian Veterinarians and scientists that discovered it years ago- and first made it public over here- and that have been studying it for years... If we were waiting for the AAA -- we still wouldn't know it existed as they have been in denial....
Those Australians studying it have so far shown much more credibility than the semen pimps and breeders that covered it up...

OT, Thanks for straightening Frankie out, I thought she was more up to date on angus current events than that, but I guess not. Or maybe she has her head stuck in the sand like the AAA? :?

:roll: OT and Sam: You haven't "straightened" anything out. I stop in at Advantage occasionally. I've read some Fawn Calf threads which is why I baited Sam, believing he was spreading gossip. I haven't seen any reliable source on that board say they actually ate FC meat and it was bad. If there's actually a first hand report from a reliable source, let's see it. The Australian veterinarian is planning to slaughter a FC calf, and he'll report. I'm sure he'd be the first to say it's not a scientific test until dozens of FC calves have been raised alongside "normal" calves and the meat tested. But, hey, don't let little things like facts stop you from spreading gossip and innuendo. Angus bashing is the sport of the year for some people. :mad:

Frankie":1caam97p said:
RD-Sam":1caam97p said:

You never did post this report, did it slip your mind?

Frankie":1r6xczj2 said:
:roll: OT and Sam: You haven't "straightened" anything out. I stop in at Advantage occasionally. I've read some Fawn Calf threads which is why I baited Sam, believing he was spreading gossip. I haven't seen any reliable source on that board say they actually ate FC meat and it was bad. If there's actually a first hand report from a reliable source, let's see it. The Australian veterinarian is planning to slaughter a FC calf, and he'll report. I'm sure he'd be the first to say it's not a scientific test until dozens of FC calves have been raised alongside "normal" calves and the meat tested. But, hey, don't let little things like facts stop you from spreading gossip and innuendo. Angus bashing is the sport of the year for some people. :mad:

there is one report, admitedly anecdotal, by Steve B Johnston on ACS regarding an FCS calf they grew out and butchered for freezer trade, one swallow does not a summer make but we would be wise to consider caution as to how this defect is ultimately handled. Like the early days of AM and NH there is still a good deal of denial and obstruction going on.

robert":3bqx96tp said:
there is one report, admitedly anecdotal, by Steve B Johnston on ACS regarding an FCS calf they grew out and butchered for freezer trade, one swallow does not a summer make but we would be wise to consider caution as to how this defect is ultimately handled. Like the early days of AM and NH there is still a good deal of denial and obstruction going on.

There's also a "good deal" of misinformation and hype being put out by people who should know better.

Oldtimer says

And Sam says it may be the end of the breed:
...there are reports that the beef from a fawn calf has a bad taste. It needs to be gotten under control before it ends up ruining the breed.

Either one of them could have taken some time and found what I found:

Unfortunately, at this stage, we only have reports on about 30 animals that have produced FCS syndrome progeny....
http://www.angusaustralia.com.au/geneti ... TopicThree

Thirty (30) animals and these are the people who OT says have been researching Fawn Calf for years! Thirty (30) animals that Sam says may destroy the Angus breed. :roll:

If FC is a problem, we need to fix it. Personally, I have a hard time not challenging the posting of gossip and innuendo, like OT and Sam posted, about my breed of cattle on an internet discussion board.

It's my breed too, Frankie. There isn't any gossip about it, and the AAA turned a blind eye to it for years. The ones you mentioned were out of a controlled study, just recently done, there have been a whole pile of fawn calves both in Australia and here in the US.

mwj":1jsmr6x4 said:
Frankie":1jsmr6x4 said:
RD-Sam":1jsmr6x4 said:

You never did post this report, did it slip your mind?

There is no report, or it would have been posted by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts