Schaff Valley Angus-thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a New Day son from there in '03, left some nice females but dropped dead of bloat after his first breeding season.

Have used Traveler 004 and Adaptor 2213, the females that stayed around have done a good job, too many fall outs from 004 though. Boyd New Day (who SAV own) has done an excellent job for us in both females and bulls. Solid production on the former, easy to sell on the latter.

Still looking at Bismark, but will likely stick with our own breeding for the most part, I don't feed hard enough for some of those cattle!

Kelly Schaff is one of the really good managers and breeders out there, I don't think I've met anyone who knows their own cattle and can describe them with as much accuracy as Kelly. He made 5175 work when the bull remains a mystery to most.

Seems they have a certain bull type that certainly fits a certain market - including mine. As with all things, it depends on what you're doing. Show cattle are different than range cattle are different than hobby farms. North different than south and east and west . . . you get the picture.

My son and I went to schaff sale in 2005. They treated us like kings. Two neighbors have bought bulls from them and are very satisfied.

Angus In Texas":3g86mvkd said:
I was considering using SAV Pioneer 7301 this year but at the moment I can't get any semen.

heard good things about his calves

They have a lot of bando 598 and 5175 in their lines. I'm waiting for FCS data to come out before I use any more of their stuff if it contains those lines.

angus9259":1b4tl1oo said:
They have a lot of bando 598 and 5175 in their lines. I'm waiting for FCS data to come out before I use any more of their stuff if it contains those lines.

I have heard rumors that the association is not going to take any action on FCS because they couldn't positively identify enough cases to warrant it.

Angus In Texas":3gf4vhjd said:
I have heard rumors that the association is not going to take any action on FCS because they couldn't positively identify enough cases to warrant it.

Also because FCS is not fatal, I don't think the association will be like they were with AM and NH.

ccbr01":2427jfud said:
Angus In Texas":2427jfud said:

Also because FCS is not fatal, I don't think the association will be like they were with AM and NH.

FCS is semi-lethal, just like dwarfism. Think it's a good idea to ignore dwarfism? What destroyed the dominance of Herefords?

In my opinion, The Angus Association is ignoring the truth in what is facing them genetically. Dwarf calves have started to show in commercial herds here. No one wants to talk about it. Other things are happening also. I personally am looking to buy my bulls from other breeds this spring. When you go look at the data coming out of Beef Northwest you find that a high percentage of the cattle making money and also making one of the premium beef programs are BWF, or some other cross. The red baldy cattle really shine....

Angus In Texas":1dkrcb7v said:
angus9259":1dkrcb7v said:

We'll have to see what they do. Personally, I don't think it's as bad as AM and NH. The calves are born alive, many of them live and often by yearling age there isn't much difference in them and the non FC animals. There are always going to be dead calves, no matter how clean your genetics. But it's certainly bad enough we need to get the carriers out of production. We need to Identify the carriers, require testing of potential carriers. I expect once their identified, most people will stop using affected bloodlines. I know we will.

giftedcowboy":38ofo0pe said:
In my opinion, The Angus Association is ignoring the truth in what is facing them genetically. Dwarf calves have started to show in commercial herds here. No one wants to talk about it. Other things are happening also. I personally am looking to buy my bulls from other breeds this spring. When you go look at the data coming out of Beef Northwest you find that a high percentage of the cattle making money and also making one of the premium beef programs are BWF, or some other cross. The red baldy cattle really shine....

And who's alternate ego are you?

Frankie":2gk1nzny said:
giftedcowboy":2gk1nzny said:

funny.

Frankie":29tubclr said:
giftedcowboy":29tubclr said:

Who knows, maybe there's only two people on the whole CT; Frankie, and the other guy who is anti Angus and has created over a thousand alter-egos to disagree with Frankie. :help:

Remember this Frankie, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get you. :shock:

The Schaff cattle are managed at a level that will never happen here-I might try their genetics from a Canadian breeder that runs them more my style. I bought a cow with a Piooneer in her so I'll see how he functions on grass and hay. A pionerr 701 of Ear would of been more what I can use.

Gelbvieh 5":1wbj96nv said:
Frankie":1wbj96nv said:
giftedcowboy":1wbj96nv said:

Who knows, maybe there's only two people on the whole CT; Frankie, and the other guy who is anti Angus and has created over a thousand alter-egos to disagree with Frankie. :help:

Remember this Frankie, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get you. :shock:

"Gifted cowboy" signs on under a name that's hardly been used, tells us all that Angus dwarfs are all over the place "around here" and proclaims he's not using Angus genetics! He's an obvious breed basher.

Apparently I'm stepping on YOUR toes by calling out alternate egos? Want to 'fess up to yours?

Frankie":tnrnogj0 said:
Angus In Texas":tnrnogj0 said:
angus9259":tnrnogj0 said:

We'll have to see what they do. Personally, I don't think it's as bad as AM and NH. The calves are born alive, many of them live and often by yearling age there isn't much difference in them and the non FC animals. There are always going to be dead calves, no matter how clean your genetics. But it's certainly bad enough we need to get the carriers out of production. We need to Identify the carriers, require testing of potential carriers. I expect once their identified, most people will stop using affected bloodlines. I know we will.

It's not just the fawn calf appearance that is the problem, there are reports that the beef from a fawn calf has a bad taste. It needs to be gotten under control before it ends up ruining the breed.

RD-Sam":29fg4b0q said:
It's not just the fawn calf appearance that is the problem, there are reports that the beef from a fawn calf has a bad taste. It needs to be gotten under control before it ends up ruining the breed.

Reall? I just read a report that said there was no difference in the meat from a FC animal and a normal one.

Frankie,

I would love to have a link to that report. It would certainly ease my worst fear about FCS. Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts