Deer Valley Growth Fund

Help Support CattleToday:

People buy based on EPDs and then question the validity of EPDs. There is little middle ground. I used them as comparatives more than absolutes. But if a bull is supposed to sire bigger calves (weaning and yearling) with more growth and larger mature size and high milk production in daughters - he is terminal compared to other bulls that are more moderate. He is also not going to leave a good legacy in a herd that grazes fescue and has no to very minimal supplements. The most screwball EPD for Angus is the MM. It is milk plus whatever else that does not compute into the other EPDs. Some heads ought to roll until a mathematician can be located to make that correction. To be so promoted in the breed as "the gospel" you think that they would get their stuff to be the most applicable.
Spoken like someone who has been through the mill of government programs requiring specifics exact enough to construct the space shuttle yet being impacted by every drop of moisture (drought/flood) every gust of wind (wind erosion), every degree of temperature every day of the year, every weight change in an animal and every change in forage type and height and soil type change. LOL

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with a chain saw.

Angus Australia had just 4 indexes and I think people paid attention to them but a few years ago they brought out a plethora of other indexes and I think they lost a lot of relevance. When you bring up an animals page on AA they list just 2 indexes now which I think are calculated from some of these other indexes and although they are supposed to be simplified I have not been able to get my head around them. I think the normal EBV values do have a lot of relevance especially with them being backed by a very good Sire Benchmark Program that has been going on for about 15 years now where you can nominate a sire and their progeny from fixed time AI of heifers in cooperative herds are taken through to weaning and then performance in a feedlot or calving in the case of heifers, also overseas sires are used in each cohort as a cross link. This program also helps validate the genomic enhancement of EBV's.

Ken

Yes, some good discussions. But I will point out that the OP asked for feedback on this bull and then clarified that replacements are not likely to be retained from the matings. "Looking for growth, muscle and hip."
So, he is looking for terminal traits from the mating. That eliminates the importance of several traits - milk and udders, longevity, maternal CE, fertility in the calves. Less importance on feet and structure (as long as they can travel to feed and water until slaughter), less importance on docility due to shorter life.
Mainly needs growth/pounds in a package attractive to buyers if selling at weaning. Then add carcass traits and feed efficiency if owning them through the feedlot.

Latest posts