Deer Valley....

Help Support CattleToday:

TNRiver

Reaction score
Anybody going to the DVF sale tomorrow? Looks to be a pretty stellar offering...

TNRiver said:
Anybody going to the DVF sale tomorrow? Looks to be a pretty stellar offering...

I wasn't aware they were having a sale tomorrow but I've been to 3 previous sales at DVF and last fall I bought 3 bulls from them. They run a top notch operation and their service is excellent.

Good luck and enjoy the sale!

TT

I actually won't be attending the sale..I am going to pick up some Hereford heifers I have bought instead!! :D :D :D

I just saw the sale book on AAA and was very impressed. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TNRiver said:

I wasn't aware they were having a sale tomorrow but I've been to 3 previous sales at DVF and last fall I bought 3 bulls from them. They run a top notch operation and their service is excellent.

TT

I have heard nothing but good things about DVF. Apparently, they have decided to sale every female they have over 3 years old between this sale and the fall sale... some pretty big time donors and herd builders for sale, at least in my opinion.

TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
TNRiver said:

TT

I have heard nothing but good things about DVF. Apparently, they have decided to sale every female they have over 3 years old between this sale and the fall sale... some pretty big time donors and herd builders for sale, at least in my opinion.

Oh wow! That's a heck of an opportunity. I wish I were more liquid at the moment.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

TT

Oh wow! That's a heck of an opportunity. I wish I were more liquid at the moment.

Agreed! I could be wrong, but I expect ALOT of money to be spent tomorrow.

I'd be there but my daughter's bday party is tomorrow. I've bought some cows and heifers from them last year and really liked everything about them. JP is a good guy too and the food is awesome.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
JMER1533 said:
I'd be there but my daughter's bday party is tomorrow. I've bought some cows and heifers from them last year and really liked everything about them. JP is a good guy too and the food is awesome.

PRIORITIES MAN!

Get to the sale!

Tell me about it! Maybe I could make a quick "pizza run" for an hour or so 😳

Hook2.0 said:
TNRiver said:
I actually won't be attending the sale..I am going to pick up some Hereford heifers I have bought instead!! :D :D :D

I just saw the sale book on AAA and was very impressed. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out!

Where'd the herfs come from?

Local guy here around me. Not registered just commercial

TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
TNRiver said:

TT

Just curious, why would they clear out EVERYTHING over 3 years old? A large percentage of them are sired by Ten X, is there something they know that everyone else doesn't?

Several members on here are not fans of Ten X or MYYTY in Focus. I've had no problems with either. But then again I disagree with most members. LOL!

I would probably go for the Connealy Capitalist daughter if I were in the market. I saw one about halfway in the sale book.

************* said:
TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

TT
Over the last year I've seen several operations do this, selling off older cattle (Fink did it). Could be they have too many coming down the pipeline, to keep the older part of the herd or they just feel the newer genetics are superior. I have a date with Deer Valley on June 24th, I'm touring their operation.

Just curious, why would they clear out EVERYTHING over 3 years old? A large percentage of them are sired by Ten X, is there something they know that everyone else doesn't?

Several members on here are not fans of Ten X or MYYTY in Focus. I've had no problems with either. But then again I disagree with most members. LOL!

I would probably go for the Connealy Capitalist daughter if I were in the market. I saw one about halfway in the sale book.

************* said:
TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

TT

My guess is that DVF trust their breeding decisions. If you make the right breeding decisions your heifers should be the best animals in your herd. Branded, why not sell everything over 3 years of age? And what do you feel is the downfalls of doing so?

Turnover is the highest form of economic return because more sales are involved in a shorter period of time. With AI and modern technology, great or similar cattle are not rare but are widely available if folks are willing to use AI, ET or IVF. The herd prefixes might add or not add bonus value but overall a herd of Angus in the US using AI is a lot alike every other herd in the US using AI. If they want more of the same type daughters in the future all they have to do is buy semen and re-create them. IF DV thinks that this is a high year for them or the market, why not sell and reinvest the money?

************* said:
TNRiver said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

TT

PB breeders around here either like Ten X progeny and can't get enough or have used it and won't again. I have talked to those on both sides. I almost bid a couple this spring but didn't based mainly on the results two breeders I respect experienced. I have seen some that I like their type but beyond that they offer nothing I can't find in other proven older lines.

I don't know anything about Deer Valley, but from what I have seen looks like a good program. I don't know what lead to that internal decision to sell like that, but it happens often in registered herds. Could be they think it's a good opportunity to bring some money. Those kind of sales typically do pretty well. Could be a change in direction. I have even heard that one breeder said that he liked to disperse ever so often, he enjoyed the buying and building back up aspect.

Deer Valley Farms has rolled their cows every 5 years, now DVF is going to roll their cows every 3 years. I way I understood it was DVF is going to have the same numbers just younger. Good read.
http://www.deervalleyfarm.com/about-us/history/

Latest posts