SAV Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":7ct76xsu said:
Red Bull Breeder":7ct76xsu said:
More than one way to put weight on calves Massey, calves getting all the feed they want with momma on high powered forage like Justa always talks about will get some big weaning weights. Problem i found with that is my bull buyers ain't gonna treat them that nice. Wind up with a train wreck.
:nod: Make them fat and they fall apart as soon as they hit the real world. They can't go from soda pop and candy bars to healthy food plus a full time job without having some major metabolic changes/problems along the way. The stupid thing about it is that the genetics are the same whether he's soggy or in working condition and yet so many insist on making them soggy just to prove that they can. :roll: The customer is the one that loses.

I agree... And those fed that way are the first to have foot problems or no longevity when their liver goes...
All forage (Grass/hay) is the best way to get bulls ready for breeding season- altho I can't call my bulls forage only because I do walk thru them every day with a bucket of grain/pellets (whatever is cheap) and hand feed them in pans a 1/3 of a coffee can of "candy" just so they are totally used to people moving around thru them and get most to where I can scratch them on the back... I like quiet dispositions...

So you all are saying they had over 400 new bull buyers that did not have a clue that the bulls were fat and would never be able to breed a cow :lol:

So do you think that when the word gets out that the bulls were fed and got fat that they will be going out of cattle breeding?

Seems that all fat bulls would grow as quickly as the ones at SAV since feed is all that makes them grow and genetics are a myth.

You guys wanting them small Montana cows just need to quit feeding them and there size will shrink down to fit the conditions :cowboy:

The growth genetics is there but it's bred in not fed in. The problem is that no-one else can expect to have those same results without feeding the way they feed. Sure, most of the cattle there will produce well above average results in their progeny but the bulls would hold up alot better and produce more calves if they weren't pushed like that.
Also, if you look at the energy values on some of the cattle that come out of those genetics it appears that some of them just flat won't perform without help from the feed bunk.

Looked at 9969 and ringmaster energy is way low but radg is way up 9969 went to .41 ringmaster has I+.25 so i guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I dont think I couldnt take the same genetics, and feed and accomplish what they have. But i sure would like to wean that kind of calves even if they were on feed from day 1.

As someone said it is the syndicate that buys these animals, look for the semen to sell for a premium, seen with my breed, syndicate push their agenda. Conspiracy against the samll guy :lol2: they got the money and the promotion to do it, did not 7l sell female donor for 700k a few years ago? To me it is all hype, give me a real bull anyway over one with a feeding tube down it'd throat. I heArd stories of feed high in fat with the appropriate hormones to enduce constant feeding, just like show feed, even with implants.

bse":xdnz1vwr said:
Looked at 9969 and ringmaster energy is way low but radg is way up 9969 went to .41 ringmaster has I+.25 so i guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I dont think I couldnt take the same genetics, and feed and accomplish what they have. But i sure would like to wean that kind of calves even if they were on feed from day 1.
Can some please explain? I just a dumb Aussie trying to make sense of it all :tiphat:

Ill try to explain what i think is right. Radg is a post weaning number that says if you feed each animal (for simple #S)10lbs of feed its about how they convert that feed to Rate of Average Daily Gain (RADG) the average is .12 so a higher # is better. So 9969 if i understand it right would gain .29lbs more than another with the same feed per day (.41-.12). Which to me if your selling calves is a big plus and if your in a feedlot those are the calves i would want.JMO.

Very happy to hear those fabulous prices (300K & 350K, and such important averages!!!) paid for the SAV genetics!!!, this is the second year we're heavilly using Final Answer,Traveler 004, Bismarck, Net Worth & Pioneer, have had a very good first SAV crop, and a better one being born currently!!!, here in the River Plate area they are already a must, a paramount influence, and everybody in the business having had such very good results with all these SAV bloodlines!!!, the're darn good!!!...

Oldtimer":105sj2d9 said:
The details are all filled in now.

http://angus.org/angusproductions/SaleR ... 9OafTcE%3d

Herbster Farms spent $997,000.00 on six animals-------- 2 bulls, 3 heifers and a cow. Apparently Conklin Company products peddlers had a very good year.... ;-)
thats ridiculous :shock: with sales like that,, why would they care what little old us thought of em

Herbster Angus buys all these top selling bulls. They bought the 2013 top seller for $400,000. Both these bulls - top seller for 2012 and 2013 have very high CED and don't think they've become much of anything on the AI circuit. Someone is losing a ton of money. Or it's all a big gag.

angus9259":hqbgv909 said:
Herbster Angus buys all these top selling bulls. They bought the 2013 top seller for $400,000. Both these bulls - top seller for 2012 and 2013 have very high CED and don't think they've become much of anything on the AI circuit. Someone is losing a ton of money. Or it's all a big gag.

Herbster owns his own bull stud and semen distribution and lord knows he has more than enough money. I am guessing he is plenty happy with how they have paid off.

This sale may not of indicated it but from the few sales I attended this year and the breeders I've talked to there is already a tendency to maintain or increase frame size a little. One PB Angus breeder told me that some of his customers tell him they want more moderate smaller cattle but then he ends up with the smaller framed more moderate bulls left. He stated that he is going to quit raising any smaller/moderate framed bulls. We were needing a bull this summer and contacted several breeders. The only ones available were the smaller framed bulls that will mature under a ton. Some in the 1,800-1,900 range. Have had other breeders tell me basically the same thing.

elkwc":2llhz39m said:
This sale may not of indicated it but from the few sales I attended this year and the breeders I've talked to there is already a tendency to maintain or increase frame size a little. One PB Angus breeder told me that some of his customers tell him they want more moderate smaller cattle but then he ends up with the smaller framed more moderate bulls left. He stated that he is going to quit raising any smaller/moderate framed bulls. We were needing a bull this summer and contacted several breeders. The only ones available were the smaller framed bulls that will mature under a ton. Some in the 1,800-1,900 range. Have had other breeders tell me basically the same thing.

I'm seeing that too, lots of people talk smaller frame and moderate cattle, but when it comes selling time it's the larger frame animals that are in higher demand. I see it on the commercial side as well as bulls.

Latest posts