Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Sold a cow that calved, prolapsed and had the vet put it back in. The calf died and we figured there was no point in keeping her. She wasn't a very big cow, 830 lbs I think, looked okay but not great. No drugs in her and she was eating and all. Brought $.35 and it was definitely better than burying her. If the calf had lived she would have gone when it was weaned. That is the first one we had trouble with this fall. Prices were a little better than the week before.

Planning on shipping a load of about 15-20 heifers this week. In the 450 wt range I guess. We are not getting any moisture. Had maybe a 1/2 inch so far this month. Maybe supposed to get some rain this eve, up to a 1/2 inch possible. But we came into 2018 in a deficit and Jan. is usually 3 inches normally....the snow and rain goes south or north of us. We have plenty of hay, but are worried about prices if it stays dry. And pastures will not grow after the very dry fall, and hay will be short next year if this keeps up. So we will see and hope for fair to decent prices.

you can always plant sudex in the pastures if its going to be dry.

gcreekrch":1frhxgwp said:
My thoughts on this topic are how much difference in dollars to replace those old cows with bred heifers, not how cheap they are.

Bred heifer here in a uniform group is U$S 500 to 700 more than an old bred cow. :nod:
Should I be sellling bred heifers?

Stocker Steve":2j3kxz98 said:
gcreekrch":2j3kxz98 said:
My thoughts on this topic are how much difference in dollars to replace those old cows with bred heifers, not how cheap they are.

Bred heifer here in a uniform group is U$S 500 to 700 more than an old bred cow. :nod:
Should I be sellling bred heifers?

Not if that cow is over 8 or has teeth missing. I am only referring to the idea of keeping your herd growing the right way.

I am optimist enough to think I could make money on both in short term but enough money to end up with what I had would be the kicker.

Prices were sure up here today. 5 weight steers were about $1.80-$1.85. 6 weights were $1.60-$1.75. The few 4 weights were $1.85 to $2.02. Heifers were about a dime back. I was sitting beside the guy who does the USDA market report. He commented that there sure aren't any buys here today. The futures market was red ink all the way through the board today but that sure didn't reflect what went on here today.

Dave":1uvb88kk said:
Prices were sure up here today. 5 weight steers were about $1.80-$1.85. 6 weights were $1.60-$1.75. The few 4 weights were $1.85 to $2.02. Heifers were about a dime back. I was sitting beside the guy who does the USDA market report. He commented that there sure aren't any buys here today. The futures market was red ink all the way through the board today but that sure didn't reflect what went on here today.

Some here topping 2 bucks in the 5 wt.

ddd75":3iitbv6a said:
. I'm confused.
Seems your assumption would be it's not going to be dry for long....or your under irrigation where you could keep alive what you already have.... :???:

Annuals don't have to have their roots overwinter.
So in certain situations they will produce more forage - - think corn or SS vs. bluegrass - - than perennials.
But they all need moisture.

1982vett":pqia87j3 said:
ddd75":pqia87j3 said:
. I'm confused.
Seems your assumption would be it's not going to be dry for long....or your under irrigation where you could keep alive what you already have.... :???:
if your thinking its going to be a dry year.. you could plant a variety that doesn't need very much moisture to grow. ie... sudex.

Ok....but I stop trying to grow it years ago because I never got the timely rain. However I am farther south. Takes a lot of moisture here to keep it growing, but if we get rain and it's fertilized you can fill your barns up real fast.

Dogs and Cows":2je5tb65 said:
Sold a few heifers and a bull calf this past Monday and was very pleased. I don't think prices around here are as good as other places...but 3 black heifers at around 550 lbs sold for $1.39 and a younger bull at 450 lbs sold at $1.66. Both were at the top of the sale for their weights, so I am happy. Prices seem to have gone up quite a bit here lately. Apparently, guys in the Western NC mountains come down to the piedmont sales this time of year and buy calves to graze for the summer and then sell. So, how do these prices compare around the country???

Thanks all,

Tim

Pretty comparable to our area Tim.

rollinhills":19vz9tgk said:
MRRherefords":19vz9tgk said:
Took our last steer to auction. He was a really late one and his mom was sent to a cull cow auction. He weighed 450 lbs as a 4 month old and brought $1.12.

$1.12 what was wrong with him?
Not sure seemed fine to me. Maybe a little young. He was a black baldy. Couldn't quite figure that out. I do know attendance was afwul at the sale.

Just dropped off 7 steers and 8 heifer calves. The steers averaged 443 lbs and sold for $1.92 average. Heifers weighed 513 and averaged $1.48.

rollinhills":8kqmhu89 said:
MRRherefords":8kqmhu89 said:
Took our last steer to auction. He was a really late one and his mom was sent to a cull cow auction.
He weighed 450 lbs as a 4 month old and brought $1.12.

Singles almost always sell at a discount around here.
Main reason is any single entering the ring draws suspicion and first thought bidders have is... what's wrong with him?
2nd thought is... where would he fit.... where would I put just one?

Son of Butch":3iq3k17n said:
rollinhills":3iq3k17n said:
MRRherefords":3iq3k17n said:
Took our last steer to auction. He was a really late one and his mom was sent to a cull cow auction.

Main reason is any single entering the ring draws suspicion and first thought bidders have is... what's wrong with him?
Ya put it with the other 450 pounders your buying.... :nod:

1982vett":2q4xhy5j said:
Son of Butch":2q4xhy5j said:
rollinhills":2q4xhy5j said:
Yup and takes out the other 3 bidders that bought 560 lb groups, leaving a nice discount for a lone bidder.

Son of Butch":1brujqci said:
1982vett":1brujqci said:
Son of Butch":1brujqci said:
Yup and takes out the other 3 bidders that bought 560 lb groups, leaving a nice discount for a lone bidder.
Very few groups sold around here. 99% singles. All bring good prices. Most of the junk and/or calves with some sort of problem are cut off and sold early in the sales with "rainies".

Son of Butch":3qoq55jo said:
rollinhills":3qoq55jo said:
MRRherefords":3qoq55jo said:

That's why I hate selling singles. Did not have much of a choice on this one.

Latest posts