Sale barn buyers

Help Support CattleToday:

Do buyers at the sale barn typically know who was selling? Started out with old cheap one and dones from the sale barn to get into csttle and now bringing those old girls back to the sale barn after getting a calf or two. Will I get a bad reputation from running those through and would it carry over to a discount if I bring higher quality animals later on?
Sale barns are exactly where people take their old cattle. No one would think bad of your cattle in general, for doing what they all do themselves.

You have peaked my interest. Why would you not want the buyers to know unless they were trade cattle.
I know some people who breed cattle that don't want people to know because they have to dump culls sone times. They don't want people buying them off the name then being upset or talking bad about them. They prefer to haul straight to a packer or even a butcher and just donate the meat.

I know some people who breed cattle that don't want people to know because they have to dump culls sone times. They don't want people buying them off the name then being upset or talking bad about them. They prefer to haul straight to a packer or even a butcher and just donate the meat.
They must have a helluva bottom line if they can donate their culls and not sell them.

I have a guy that does that. He's about my age and works at the barn. We have some mutual friend. I text him direct to set up hauling for us, now. I have no doubt he helps market our calves. I might run in to him 2 or 3 times a year around town and I grab his lunch or a couple drinks to grease the wheel.
🤷‍♂️ some how a case of Busch lite gets unloaded with my trailer every once in a while. The barn workers always remember who appreciates them.

A guy I work with raises pb angus bulls. Had one that wouldn't stay in and had a bad attitude about being put back. So he hauled him to a mrkt sale. A couple weeks later some guy called and ripped him a new one about the bull that he had bought at the sale and how he wouldn't stay in. The guy simply told him "now you know why he was at a market sale " From then on they always tell the sale barn that there mrkt bulls are there because they didn't pass their semen test.

Down here, when selling head cattle, you are expcected to stand up and speal for them. Or if you can;t be tjhere, yopui get the sale barnm people, or one of the traders, or whoever brought them for you to do so. If a cow comes in and no one stands up for them, the auctioneer will ask several times if anyone knows these cows. If no one speaks up, they won;t bring as much, and often the auctioneer will say " Put them in the weigh pen". No one knows where the weigh cattle come from. No time to stand and speak for them if you wanted to they are in the ring for 1-3 seconds. Ever how long it takes them run in the ring from the scales door and run out the exit gate.

Last edited:
Old cow buyer is partial to Sleeman's Brown Ale. A flat of 24 gets me a few cattle from other yards brought to the one we sell at. Taking him a dozen next week for what he bought yesterday.
Main buyer gets a bottle of Glenfiddich at last sale.
Dave do your sales keep going over winter?

Ken

Sales here in Va are all year. Most close for a week at Christmas. Real bad snow and ice will close them for a day or 2, just because of safety of travel, buyers not coming etc... but it has to be pretty severe, or forecasts of a blizzard type storm.

Latest posts