Something followed me home from the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is the two who followed me home today. The grey cow wasn't nearly that full when I bought her. I don't know what they feed at that sale but she sure took advantage of it. Got to love a cow who pigs out on free food. Normally when you unload them coming home from the sale they head right to the feeder. These two weren't interested. They got their fill this morning.

P2163183.JPGP2163182.JPG

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut... but I'll blame it on the very small image or the picture quality if I'm wrong.

Those are SHOW heifers???
That's what we were told, they were in bad shape when we got them.
I'm thinking after feeding them for months and after the show, they turned them out to take care of themselves, but weren't acclimated to wherever they put them, maybe hardly any grass and no feed?
It took them a while to get use to hustling for themselves.
They are looking pretty good now, and are fixing to calve.

That's what we were told, they were in bad shape when we got them.
I'm thinking after feeding them for months and after the show, they turned them out to take care of themselves, but weren't acclimated to wherever they put them, maybe hardly any grass and no feed?
It took them a while to get use to hustling for themselves.
They are looking pretty good now, and are fixing to calve.
Maybe they were just running out of hay. That is what happened with the bull I bought last spring. The people I bought it from were just out of hay. In fact at first I was not sure he was the same bull as the picture they had sent me. The markings were the same, he just just need some feed. I put some good alfalfa hay into and he came right back by the time I put him on the cows in June.

Maybe they were just running out of hay. That is what happened with the bull I bought last spring. The people I bought it from were just out of hay. In fact at first I was not sure he was the same bull as the picture they had sent me. The markings were the same, he just just need some feed. I put some good alfalfa hay into and he came right back by the time I put him on the cows in June.
We bought them last May, I don't know what kind of pasture they had them on if any, or if they had hay, they are good kind of cows.

We bought them last May, I don't know what kind of pasture they had them on if any, or if they had hay, they are good kind of cows.
That is all that matters, as long as they are good cows. Sometimes you can get good deals when people need to sell something that they let get out of condition. I feel I got a pretty good deal on my bull I bought last year.

I think that is the key to buying, you have to have an eye for the built in quality, they look good when they get some condition on them. Anyone can pick a "good" one when they are in good condition.

Ken

I don't see a grey cow, but that red one sure looks healthy. Did you get a good deal?
The market report from the sale listed BM cows at $1,750 to $1,450. That cow cost me $1,450. I will wait to see how good of a deal she was but she was the cheapest BM cow there that day.

Does anyone ever buy their bulls through the sale barn? This bull was in Decatur yesterday, not sure what he brought but likely not over $1.20, might be a cheaper way to manage instead of paying the 4k a young replacement bull would cost

Attachments

• IMG_2770.png
    IMG_2770.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 32
And possibly bring home a non-breeder, or one infected with vibrio or trich something.... Unless it is specifically from a herd dispersal.... you could bring home some real problem...
Do you have a neighbor that is going to trade out bulls for different genetics? That would be a safer way to go than a random bull from the sale barn...
But yes, we have bought a bull or 2 that way years ago when we were needing one and couldn't go the high prices.... still, it is risky.

I just clicked on your post... in that case it would not be near the risk....
At 1.20 lb and he weighs 1500 so about $1800... BUT,,, advertised like that they may sell him by the head and here he would bring 2500-3500 as a breeder...

In Washington state any non virgin bulls have to be trich tested before they leave the sale yard. That adds another $150. Plus how ever long he has to stay at the yard and you get to pay them to feed him. I had a source of non registered bulls that were every bit as good as ones with papers which cost a lot less than $4,000. They are out there it just takes a little research.

Does anyone ever buy their bulls through the sale barn? This bull was in Decatur yesterday, not sure what he brought but likely not over $1.20, might be a cheaper way to manage instead of paying the 4k a young replacement bull would cost
I have bought some bulls we're guaranteed sound, that looked good from the barn.
Some were some really nice bulls.

I would be reluctant to buy a bull from the sale barn unless I knew where and who it came from. Most of the time a bull goes through the sale barn there is a reason for it, but sometimes I guess you could get lucky.

From the ad that was posted, the person that is selling is figuring that the bull will have more exposure and might bring a better price than trying to sell direct... there are worse scenarios. I don't blame them from wanting the most they can get, and since they got it checked out, feels that it would be a good breeding animal.

Apparently the bull has been tested appropriately. I've never bought a bull through a sale barn but I've sold one through them. My bull topped that particular sale. He was a good one.

These two followed me home today. Second week in a row where I got 2 cows 8 months bred for $1,500 each. I seem to be developing a pattern. These two will get a brand, vaccinated, and a new ear tag then out to general population. This will make 72 cows out there. 9 of B's and 63 of mine. 2 of B's have calves. 22 of my have calves. We need another 18 cows. I plan to buy 3 or 4 more. B's cowboys will sort off the rest out of his feed rows.

P2223191.JPGP2223192.JPG