Something followed me home from the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

These two followed me home today. Second week in a row where I got 2 cows 8 months bred for $1,500 each. I seem to be developing a pattern. These two will get a brand, vaccinated, and a new ear tag then out to general population. This will make 72 cows out there. 9 of B's and 63 of mine. 2 of B's have calves. 22 of my have calves. We need another 18 cows. I plan to buy 3 or 4 more. B's cowboys will sort off the rest out of his feed rows.

View attachment 41273View attachment 41274
They look like they will pay for themselves.

The man who ran the local sale barn until recently was very much like a grandpa to me. I'd often tell him if I was looking for a new bull and he'd keep an eye out for one. He knew what I wanted and would only select one from someone who he knew well and trusted. If you've got a relationship with someone like that, I definitely have no problem with sale barn bulls.

They look like they will pay for themselves.
As long as they don't die I will be good. Mid August when the cows leave I will have just about $1,700 a head into them. If we have last year's prices and the cows hang up 50% of their current weight that is $1,338. Today 485 pound heifers sold for $2.80. Steers were more. But using those heifer numbers it is $1,358 for the calf. So $2,696 at current prices. That is $4 off $1,000. That leaves a lot of down side room and still be in the black.

Latest posts