Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm":30pz50rz said:
I bought two cow calf pairs yesterday. The cows where black 4 years old with calves about 2 months old. The cows are thin probably weigh around 1000#s. Got them for 950$ each.

Bought 2x8 Brangus today for 950.
Very few cows at the barn and virtually no back to the farm buyers.
To wet for most people to work cattle here.

First time selling at the auction. We are pretty pleased. Two black weaned steers. Average weight 435, average price 2.02 per pound. After fees the check was 1,700. That works for me. Sale barn is in Fredricksburg Tx.

Sold a pot load of 700# black feeder steers for $140 last week. Thankful I didn't wait till this week. Another load similar to mine sold for $132 at 715#.

Sold 13 stragglers for $159 at 550#.

Prices are dropping hard in my neck of the woods. Anybody know where the bottom is?

rockroadseminole":1yqjx9ap said:
Prices are dropping hard in my neck of the woods. Anybody know where the bottom is?

No one knows until you see it in the rear view mirror.

Taking heads are fixated on a 5 to 7 % increase in beef production vs. last year, but future traders control a lot of what happens...

RayfromTX":1qg68irh said:
First time selling at the auction. We are pretty pleased. Two black weaned steers. Average weight 435, average price 2.02 per pound. After fees the check was 1,700. That works for me. Sale barn is in Fredricksburg Tx.
The Geistweidt's do a good job there. My family tree stems from that area.

Stocker Steve":oaq99x8i said:
rockroadseminole":oaq99x8i said:

No one knows until you see it in the rear view mirror.

Taking heads are fixated on a 5 to 7 % increase in beef production vs. last year, but future traders control a lot of what happens...

Couple of thoughts:
I'm wondering how these dairy guys are doing it. I figure at some point they will start dumping dairy cows into the beef market hard, increasing supply even more.

Never a good sign when supply is held up by "extra strong demand". Seeing a bunch of farmers fencing in row crop land to run cows on due to low cotton and corn prices. Not sure how that would affect things.

Seems to me like there are a lot of reasons for a multi-year price decline. Hope I'm wrong.

Small to medium diaries here can not currently find enough auctioneers to sell their cows at the farm, so they haul them in to the sales barns... I think milk production is still going up with the large dairy expansions. Go industrial or go home! But I never was a good follower - - so I am buying da wife $ 900 springing nurse cows.

Taking heads like to discuss when all the Chinese are going to switch to eating sweet and sour beef, but it will not be soon.

I think some of the more profitable beef operations are diversified with crops - - which gives them an outlet for poor, froze out, low test wt., aftermath, meadow feeds.

Meanwhile - - there was subdued bidding at sales barn today. I sold 7 wt. heifer pen culls for $852 and bought back big BM heavy breds for $925. Seems like a good trade, except for the one black bitch that wants to eat me.