Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

No Rest Farm":2gt1y8f1 said:
I sold a few calves yesterday. Most of my fall calves get weaned here at my house but I sent the worst to the sale. Three steers weighed an average of 355lb brought 1.75. A heifer that weighed 535 brought 1.44.
Where do you sell, I wouldn't have minded to have those 3 steers.

Those went to springlake. I kept the calves I thought I could put some more weight on easily. The few I sold seemed to not have the frame I'm looking for. I've been caught before feeding calves that were to small framed. Any more I sell those type early. All of the three weights were off cows I had bought as bred cows last summer and who knows what bull was used on them.

No Rest Farm":34ouit1p said:
Those went to springlake. I kept the calves I thought I could put some more weight on easily. The few I sold seemed to not have the frame I'm looking for. I've been caught before feeding calves that were to small framed. Any more I sell those type early. All of the three weights were off cows I had bought as bred cows last summer and who knows what bull was used on them.
Those still made money I bet..

No Rest Farm":zw2xflcz said:
I'm sure someone will make money on them. I just know I'm not in a good position to keep calves like these.

You should have sent them to me id only charged you 45% of the sale price for fattening them up for you... Ya know since were buds maybe we can discuss this over some stouts :cowboy:

Sold 7 calves yesterday. 5 blk/bwf steers weaned since Thanksgiving, 2 round shots 697 lb average, brought $1.50 lb, $1045.00 hd. 2 Heifers RWF/BWF, RWF weaned 45 days, BWF 120 days,2 rds,465 average, $1.64 lb, $762.60 hd. Thought was good, I'm happy so I guess that's what matters.

Got about 15 heifers from 400 to 550 or so going tomorrow. 4 or 5 cull cows. Only had 2 open heifers out of 25 and vet said the one didn't feel right; asked if she was a twin. She wasn't that we were aware of, so she is going. Buyer friend said cull cows were up a bit so this would be a good time to sell them. Got about 5 or 6 more that have smaller fall calves, mostly steers, that will be going within a month or so. They are looking fair to decent for their age. One I paid $650 for with a 175 lb calf on her. She looks good and the calf has done good so they ought to make a few dollars. Will let ya'll know what they do tomorrow.
Plan to sell the steers from this group of first calf heifers in about 2-3 weeks. Only had 6 or 8 steers in the group of 20 first calf heifers, the rest heifer calves. We are only retaining 2 heifers from this bunch. Have a couple of other heifers we held back and they will match these pretty good. We have some real nice heifers from another group of cows so there is no reason to keep the "okay ones".

farmerjan":1astmoat said:
Got about 15 heifers from 400 to 550 or so going tomorrow. 4 or 5 cull cows. Only had 2 open heifers out of 25 and vet said the one didn't feel right; asked if she was a twin. She wasn't that we were aware of, so she is going. Buyer friend said cull cows were up a bit so this would be a good time to sell them. Got about 5 or 6 more that have smaller fall calves, mostly steers, that will be going within a month or so. They are looking fair to decent for their age. One I paid $650 for with a 175 lb calf on her. She looks good and the calf has done good so they ought to make a few dollars. Will let ya'll know what they do tomorrow.
Plan to sell the steers from this group of first calf heifers in about 2-3 weeks. Only had 6 or 8 steers in the group of 20 first calf heifers, the rest heifer calves. We are only retaining 2 heifers from this bunch. Have a couple of other heifers we held back and they will match these pretty good. We have some real nice heifers from another group of cows so there is no reason to keep the "okay ones".

hope u do well

skyhightree1":qhc09xik said:
farmerjan":qhc09xik said:
Thanks Sky. Did you get your check? Did the bulls do good?

You are welcome yea check came and my bulls sold as follows 5wts 1.54 6wts 1.29 7wts 1.18

The 5 wts did good, it didn't hardly pay to feed the others to a heavier weight. Don't know what wt you started with. Did you do okay on the bottom line? That's the most important. We have found that it doesn't pay to get them over 600 lbs here. We try to get them to the 450 to 550 range for the better prices. Might just be what the buyers like from this area.

I did a graph one year to prove to a neighbor that even though he got more actual dollars per head, for the heavier weight calves he was selling, we got more actual total money for lighter weight calves, by being able to run a few more cows so more total calves. Plus our cows are smaller, he has a number of 1600 and up cows. They eat too much for the amount of weight you get in return. He argued that he got more money and couldn't seem to get it that we were selling more calves, had more cows, and the lighter weight cows had less foot and leg problems than his did.

Just something we learned the hard way over the years.

skyhightree1":29rxe7nf said:
farmerjan":29rxe7nf said:
Thanks Sky. Did you get your check? Did the bulls do good?

You are welcome yea check came and my bulls sold as follows 5wts 1.54 6wts 1.29 7wts 1.18

Up to 500 lbs the difference between bulls and steers isn't enough to worry about. After that the seller gets slaughtered also.

Stocker Steve":2hmxsuy7 said:
Talking heads think the feeder market is at a top...
Kill cows have come up, but still seem cheap. Is supply high?

I'm hearing we have about a month maybe before we turn back more bearish through the rest of 2018. But as we have seen plenty the past 5 years we really don't know chit!!!! :lol: