Son of Butch

Reaction score
Bred Cows at local sale barn 45 - 75 cents lb
slaughter cows .41 -.67

Bred Heifers 70 - 95 cents lb
fed beef steers & heifers 1.05 - 1.22
fed holstein steers .82 -.92

500 - 550 lb feeder heifers 1.49 - 1.64

My take away would be to sell all the feeder heifers you can now and buy back breds.

:nod:
Son of Butch":ukjnzlr1 said:
slaughter cows .41 -.67

My take away would be to sell all the feeder heifers you can now and buy back breds.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

A massive amount of cows going to the sale barn this week. The sale that I sometimes frequent usually runs about 1500, had 1400 this afternoon at 2pm for the sale tomorrow.

I'm helping haul 100 cows and 50+ calves to the local stockyard,from one farm tomorrow. They won't sell until Friday night at a cow sale along with a 100 or more other cows. They will sell at whatever they bring. Bet they will be cheap.

my barn was up about 1,000 hd over average last week.

Buying hay to carry those cheap cows till spring is the kicker. I've bought more bred cows than I hay for at the moment. Hopefully it'll all work out as planned, that'll be a first in the cow business for me.

Son of Butch":31y5ze2s said:
slaughter cows .41 -.67

Most barns here hold their first "special" bred cow n heifers sales right after Thanksgiving. They want to get the calf check back before folks go Christmas shopping. :nod:
Trying to understand why cows are so cheap. Only financial explanation I could back calculate is an older cow weaning a below average wt. calf, and having some depreciation herself, does not leave any profit for the owner. :shock:
Bred heifers could be the better deal - - if you are a good enough herdsman to ensure live calves...

Watching online today
404 lb black sim-angus heifers hit 2.00 here today $808 hd
vs
415 lb bawling black heifers 1.30 = $540 hd
or
$268 per hd difference x 3 = $804 savings or buy 3 get 1 free

Stocker Steve":1d3xt0z6 said:
Son of Butch":1d3xt0z6 said:
slaughter cows .41 -.67

Most barns here hold their first "special" bred cow n heifers sales right after Thanksgiving. They want to get the calf check back before folks go Christmas shopping. :nod:
Trying to understand why cows are so cheap. Only financial explanation I could back calculate is an older cow weaning a below average wt. calf, and having some depreciation herself, does not leave any profit for the owner. :shock:
Bred heifers could be the better deal - - if you are a good enough herdsman to ensure live calves...

I thought maybe the past few years strong calf prices prompted folks to hang onto some cows they normally would have culled...now that prices have 'corrected, there is an abundance of culls and the market is heavy with cows now??? Purely speculation.

My sale was bigger this week also. Mine brought 600 lb bull calf brought 110cwt. One of my buddies sold these in se oklahoma:

A penny a pound :shock: :lol2:

bball":1m6uqufs said:
I thought maybe the past few years strong calf prices prompted folks to hang onto some cows they normally would have culled...now that prices have 'corrected, there is an abundance of culls and the market is heavy with cows now??? Purely speculation.

I sold a bunch of that kind last fall for $850. Just have a few left.

One of the talking heads projected lower cull cow prices next year. He is expecting more steins going to McDonalds so they won't have to bring the McRib back again.

I called a big cattle buyer and asked what's up. He said there is value in (some) cows at these prices, and he felt bred prices were down partially because "money was tight." I had to think on that a little. If you want to buy cows based on grain farming profits (not), or on 2016/2017 cow/calf profits (depends a lot on when in the year you sold) - - then I think he has a good point.

So it is kind of like the stock market. We need some fresh money from outside investors to bid up the price of BM cows and chronic calves. :nod:

True Grit Farms":2yk1u6o3 said:
Caustic Burno":2yk1u6o3 said:
https://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/th ... ted-press/
Guess this was mostly hoopla? Or just someone looking for freebies?
Can't find any numbers of how many cattle claims there was in Texas because of Hurricane Harvey.

Grit I am sure there were some losses I personally don't know anyone that did like in Ike.
I think your on to something with the hoopla.
I forgot about GB he lost around a half dozen if I remember correctly.

Stocker Steve":19bi2ek5 said:
bball":19bi2ek5 said:

I sold a bunch of that kind last fall for $850. Just have a few left.

One of the talking heads projected lower cull cow prices next year. He is expecting more steins going to McDonalds so they won't have to bring the McRib back again.

I called a big cattle buyer and asked what's up. He said there is value in (some) cows at these prices, and he felt bred prices were down partially because "money was tight." I had to think on that a little. If you want to buy cows based on grain farming profits (not), or on 2016/2017 cow/calf profits (depends a lot on when in the year you sold) - - then I think he has a good point.

So it is kind of like the stock market. We need some fresh money from outside investors to bid up the price of BM cows and chronic calves. :nod:

That is a very strong point. I confess I hadn't considered that, but it rings true.

Cull cow prices here are down and there is alot of talk that some of it may have to do with the JBS mess. We are running in the 30's, 40's and low 50's for cows. Most everything here goes to JBS plants; don't have the choices like what some of you Texas guys are talking about. We are going to hold some over with their calves, got plenty of hay some left from last year that needs to be fed. Can supplement with 17% pellet for not too much. Grain is cheap comparitively; farmers are talking about how low the soybean prices are here.
Don't know if there is any right answer. Will watch heifer prices and if they get up some more, will ship some of them I guess. We have enough since we are still running 60-70% heifers born.. I'd sure like to buy some sexed BULL semen and breed some cows for bull calves. Been culling some but when we got .35 for a cow and .01 for another said next one will be hamburger. The one that brought .01 had absolutely nothing wrong. She'd had a dead calf, and we just decided to not keep and rebreed her. Had her a month and there was room on the trailer so she went on. Didn't have anyone watching the cull cows like we do the feeders. So no more cull cows until after the holidays anyway. Cost us to sell her. A dairy farmer I just milk tested said they sent one that had been open and couldn't get bred, not fat but decent flesh and she brought .07. She was plenty upset. The buyers are doing some "stealing" of these less than perfect, but not reject, cull cows here. Heard another person got .13 a week ago for a cow because she was limping. Used to be they would bring about .10 less than the average ones but not now. Said the same thing we said, next one will be hamburger. Got lots of family and friends that may be getting hamburger for Christmas.....

I had 18 head on next weeks cull list. After this thread I took another look, and decided several should move to the one more calf list. I will protect the rest.

bball":1wk0zkyj said:

That is a very strong point. I confess I hadn't considered that, but it rings true.[/quote]

Got a call tonight asking if we have seen the bottom of the cattle price cycle and now is the time to buy young breds. Had to think on that too. Twice in one day...

The talking heads said beef production went up 4% last year and is expected to go up 4% this year. Based on the size of my herd, beef production will go up again in 2018. Milk prices are weak. Soooo

"sell the premium - - buy the discount" :cowboy:

Latest posts