Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":2lvd9qvl said:
Depends on the barn, but all in all sale barns can be very good places to sell for a variety of reasons.
Many host dispersal sales and or hold large well advertised special sales for bred cattle and breeding bulls that bring
a large number of buyers and sellers together.

Many seller complaints stem from those with unrealistic expectations as to the value and demand for the quality of
the cattle they are bringing to sell. As for unrealistic expectations just checkout asking prices on craigslist and you
can find the same asking price for good quality and lesser quality or for cattle that have limited appeal or demand.

Ouch..... :lol2:

Its not very often we hear, oh my calves weren't very good but they brought lots more than they were worth.
Sometimes you need to know what you raise.

kenny thomas":3s6ldnw1 said:
Its not very often we hear, oh my calves weren't very good but they brought lots more than they were worth.

Yes, most people think their cattle are wonderful and deserve top dollar. Many people are not realistic.

kenny thomas":1wi3jrmv said:

I have said that in a round about way. But it was to show the difference in two different sales. A few years back I sold a load of calves at one sale. The light end of the steers brought $1.34. The next day at a sale much closer to home steers the same size as my that I thought were better calves were bought by the same buyer who bought mine. They brought $1.03. Different market brought a lower price but I sure thought those calves were better than my. Comparing his calves to my I got more than mine were worth. Or he took a beating because of where he sold.

We retained most of our heifers. Did not want to give them away at a sale barn. We'll sell in groups next year. We did this last year and it was pretty easy and got 850 a head.....Our heifers are much better this year because of so much grass....so, fingers crossed its just as easy as last time to sell.....

Went to the Carroll County GA Cattle Sale yesterday. Been hearing horror stories of prices on here and from neighbors. The fact that this sale is the last one for the year may or may not have influenced prices? Previous week sale we had seven inches of snow on the ground (Tallapoosa) so we delayed hauling.

Pleasantly surprised that the bull calves we sold went for $1.62 to $1.65 per pound. Our cull cows ranged from $513 to $925 per head. These cows were old, notch eared, fence jumper, lame, etc. We kept all our heifers. Seemed like most others did also. Most calves sold were bulls or steers. Heifers being sold were mediocre at best. Husband remarked on the fact that there was no apparent difference in price of steers and bull calves.
Cattle we sold were all brangus, of course. We were pleased with check and confirmed that we want more heifers - but not from the sale barn.

Stocker Steve":26ms3ot7 said:
BrangusUSA":26ms3ot7 said:
We kept all our heifers. Seemed like most others did also.

Where will all these retained heifers end up?
Looks like it was a good decision maybe. We kept 60. Not sure how many we'll keep for ourselves, maybe 20... We'll sell in groups privately..

500 lb steers going 1.80-1.85 last Saturday, not bad for right now. I got a few that need to go, save me some hay. Heifers not too shabby either but I have seen better.

NolanCountyAG":289boap6 said:
Hauled a load of heifers to Woodward last week. They brought just under 1100 per head.
That's a pretty good haul from your area. Better than other marketing options you think?

they liquidated a good herd today breds were 800-1000 , pairs 1000-1250 . all in good flesh black ones . had to be a real good cow to bring .60 . I bought several heifers with 300-400 lb calves on them , split and sold calves back

BobbyLummus1":1sb9f98m said:
they liquidated a good herd today breds were 800-1000 , pairs 1000-1250 . all in good flesh black ones . had to be a real good cow to bring .60 . I bought several heifers with 300-400 lb calves on them , split and sold calves back

wow.. i'm hoping to get 20 - 25 bought around May.. hopefully I can get some nice ones for those prices.

Sold our May steer calves today. They were 752# at $140/cwt.. Did not get great gains during the -20, and the market has not had a big January bounce, but still satisfied overall.

Bought back some heifers to match up with my culls. Bud would say it was a good trade.

Run was about 3,300 head. Big for this time of year. Not many heifers there, and an out of the area buyer dominated the first part of the sale with an Oklahoma heifer order. Must be a lot of poor wheat down that way?

RanchMan90":1vcmz4q3 said:
NolanCountyAG":1vcmz4q3 said:
Hauled a load of heifers to Woodward last week. They brought just under 1100 per head.
That's a pretty good haul from your area. Better than other marketing options you think?

5 hrs. They brought 175-200 a head more than if I'd have taken them to coleman or san angelo.

Stocker Steve":14nbmmux said:
Sold our May steer calves today. They were 752# at $140/cwt.. Did not get great gains during the -20, and the market has not had a big January bounce, but still satisfied overall.

Bought back some heifers to match up with my culls. Bud would say it was a good trade.

Run was about 3,300 head. Big for this time of year. Not many heifers there, and an out of the area buyer dominated the first part of the sale with an Oklahoma heifer order. Must be a lot of poor wheat down that way?

What wheat, drought is growing daily here a lot of areas are 90 days with out rain.

What size heifers was the order buyer buying?

Latest posts