Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":3gdtdx2j said:
Got lots of family and friends that may be getting hamburger for Christmas.....

Good plan!

I saw a headline saying JBS reported record profits???

May need to expand the nurse cow herd next spring.

Stocker Steve":3ugvtsd9 said:
I saw a headline saying JBS reported record profits???
JBS received a huge windfall (multi-multi millions) in the trade agreement that Obama gifted them in August 2016.
Then to top it off it drove down slaughter prices they were paying in the USA widening their profit margins here.

Yes, I would expect from 2016 3rd quarter until the end of 2nd quarter 2017 JBS would have recorded the most
profitable 12 month period in the history of their company.

Son of Butch":12ti7ccd said:
Bred Heifers 70 - 95 cents lb
My take away would be to sell all the feeder heifers you can now and buy back breds.

nice 6 wt heifers were $600 here a year ago
hard to cover even direct costs at these bred heifer prices
sounds like you better be selling big uns

Packer cow prices are low because too many cows coming at one time. We do not have the capacity to kill that many cows at one time like we used to. At one time we had 14 cow processors here in Texas, now it like 6. Most of these have 3 to 4 days of kill standing there waiting and adding to the inventory every day. To top it off, the JBS plant up north that had the rodent problem has been offline for nearly a month. Cargill's plant in Pennsylvania has been getting the overflow from the JBS plant. You would be surprised how far an East Texas cow now has to go to be harvested as compared to 20 years ago.

Yeah, the problem with that JBS plant being offline is what has thrown things off up here. Cargill is the other big buyer in this area so they are getting the overflow and again contributing to the low prices. Those are our 2 biggest buyers and when things don't go well there, we really pay for it. Holding these older cull cows won't hurt us too much, although I wanted to be rid of them before the possibility of "winter weather".
Bought an old cow with 135 lb calf by her side a week ago for $675.00. She weighs just shy of 1000 and in good flesh. Calf looking good and cow has milk. Couldn't pass it up. The bred cow sale a week ago had most bringing in the $1,000 to 1500 range. Had both bred heifers and bred cows. We didn't need any, but some were decent.
Having 6 plants in Texas is still better than what we deal with here. I think that after the holidays it will do better once the glut is gone. I think we are going to change our strategy a bit and start selling more cull cows in late spring or late summer when there isn't so many being shipped even if it means having to move some off pasture. And holding some that we would sell Oct/Nov until after the holidays. Just have to watch the market and see what happens.

I hear that they had over a 1,000 kill cows at Toppenish on Thursday. One of the kill cow buyer talked to the guy I was sitting beside. He said that he had bought 350 cows. It took a great cow to bring 60 cents.
I watched a great pen of bred heifers sell way too cheap. If I had anywhere to put them I would have bought them. 1150 pound black and baldie heifers out of Shaw and Thomas registered cows. They were bred to a low birth weight Thomas Angus bull to start calving March 8 for 45 days. They only got $1050. You darn sure can't raise them for that.

Dave":1ul1fnow said:
I watched a great pen of bred heifers sell way too cheap. 1150 pound black and baldie heifers out of Shaw and
Thomas registered cows. They were bred to a low birth weight Thomas Angus bull to start calving March 8 for 45 days.
They only got $1050. You darn sure can't raise them for that.
91.30 cents a lb

kenny thomas":36auydmn said:
I'm helping haul 100 cows and 50+ calves to the local stockyard,from one farm tomorrow. They won't sell until Friday night at a cow sale along with a 100 or more other cows. They will sell at whatever they bring. Bet they will be cheap.
Cows sold better than I expected last night. I got a few pairs averaging $1115. 3-5 year old with 250 lb calves. Pairs were from 700 to 1300. Bred cows from 500 to 1100.

Caustic Burno":mj2umltk said:
True Grit Farms":mj2umltk said:
Caustic Burno":mj2umltk said:
https://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/th ... ted-press/
Guess this was mostly hoopla? Or just someone looking for freebies?
Can't find any numbers of how many cattle claims there was in Texas because of Hurricane Harvey.

Grit I am sure there were some losses I personally don't know anyone that did like in Ike.
I think your on to something with the hoopla.
I forgot about GB he lost around a half dozen if I remember correctly.

Hey CB
Look at the little tiger heifers 6 lines down in the first paragraph. :nod:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWIcmt ... p=drivesdk

Somebody had a bad day at the sale barn.
They brought in a group of 5 Black bred heifers. The sale barn vet preg checked 1 open the rest pg 4 months.

The 950 lb black bred heifers sold for $875 (92.10 lb)
the open 1 sold as a feeder heifer... 890 lbs @ 1.25 = $1,112
$237 hd more than her pg sisters

Just finished sorting cows and have 15 head in the cull pen. One for the butcher and 14 for the bred cow sale. Think I will clear enough for a new pick up? :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":123ep3co said:
Just finished sorting cows and have 15 head in the cull pen. One for the butcher and 14 for the bred cow sale.
Think I will clear enough for a new pick up? :cowboy:
I'm sure yours will bring about $1795 hd :)
Which barn will you be going to?

Black Friday sale in Perham.
It is the first big bred sale of the year here.
Local prices often go down a bit after a couple sales. I am willing to settle for only $1500/hd. :nod:

Went to the sale yesterday. Kill cows were up a nickle. Two weeks ago it took a mighty good cow to break 60 cents. yesterday there were lots of cows over 60 cents and some over 65. Feeder cattle were strong but I didn't stay for them two weeks ago so I don't know how the market moved.

It seems to me that the sale barn is a good place to sell feeder cattle but not as good for other cattle such as bred cows and bulls. Am I correct about this?

Depends on the barn, but all in all sale barns can be very good places to sell for a variety of reasons.
Many host dispersal sales and or hold large well advertised special sales for bred cattle and breeding bulls that bring
a large number of buyers and sellers together.

Many seller complaints stem from those with unrealistic expectations as to the value and demand for the quality of
the cattle they are bringing to sell. As for unrealistic expectations just checkout asking prices on craigslist and you
can find the same asking price for good quality and lesser quality or for cattle that have limited appeal or demand.

Latest posts