Sale Barn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Local report for yesterday https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ko_ls753.txt. How did your prices compare. I set at the sale at Fairview yesterday, bidding was more active on old bred cows then feeder and stocker calves.

Hard to believe some one would haul cattle from Minnesota to Oklahoma with the cattle numbers going to town here because it is dry. Cattle have took a pretty good hit here in the last week.

550 pound steer brought me 1.65 today, that was out if a skinny brangus bull and a tigerstripe. I am satisfied.

You would have got your feelings hurt on cows. Best I saw today was a pen of three red Angus all third trimester brought 1100 a piece.
Back to the farm prices were in the septic tank I would say average was 650 a head. It was slim pickens.

4 and 5 wt calves were 1.45 to 2.00

Caustic Burno":38dotgbf said:
You would have got your feelings hurt on cows. Best I saw today was a pen of three red Angus all third trimester brought 1100 a piece.
Back to the farm prices were in the septic tank I would say average was 650 a head. It was slim pickens.

Exactly what's going on here. I had a load of 6 or 7 breeds I was going to take to the sale and pick up some hereford cows. Going to calf them out now, wait til the spring green up and see if prices climb any.

Bred were going from .45 a pound to $1050 a head. I was doing the math, cheapest was $640. She wasn't that bad, big old charolais, 8 months bred, could have made money on her but I don't need another head to feed.

bball":aeq5edmq said:
Caustic Burno":aeq5edmq said:

Exactly what's going on here. I had a load of 6 or 7 breeds I was going to take to the sale and pick up some hereford cows. Going to calf them out now, wait til the spring green up and see if prices climb any.

I am glad I backed off and didn't haul my culls.
Neighbor got skinned on his IMO.
I have the hay to hang on till prices improve.

Sold a load of the heifers we bought 6 weeks ago, forward contract for March 28 delivery. Base weight was 580 and they brought $2.0150.

As long as they keep growing like the have been they will pay us a buck a head per day during their 120 day visit. Happy with that.

Sold a nice 1370 lb packer cow for .57/lb. Rolled the money plus $50 out of my pocket into a 2 month bred beefmaster heifer that weighed 820 lbs.
Mostly old cruddy cows in the bred sale but a few nice heifers. They went from $750 to $950. Mine was $800.

I can't see why anybody would raise up heifers to sale at this price.

Dairy farm that I tested this week has daughter that is a senior in college. Her economics prof that is involved with the dairy at the college said that cull / pound cows need to be sold before early march as the forecast is for a downturn in prices. Wonder what that is about? She said she had just gotten an e-mail from them. He was predicting things for the spring. Said he has been pretty accurate in the past several years she has been there.

bird dog":1t0dsx0n said:
Sold a nice 1370 lb packer cow for .57/lb. Rolled the money plus $50 out of my pocket into a 2 month bred beefmaster heifer that weighed 820 lbs.
Mostly old cruddy cows in the bred sale but a few nice heifers. They went from $750 to $950. Mine was $800.

I can't see why anybody would raise up heifers to sale at this price.

I bought four today
Had a heifer sale at the barn today all were heavy Brahman influence in pens of four. Highest pen brought 1300.
I am not sure the seller made much, all prices on cows and replacements are in the gutter.
Seen an estate sale through the barn today, good cows a mans life work go for 600 bucks back to the farm. Most went to Lone Star Slaughter.

farmerjan":24d2ek59 said:
Dairy farm that I tested this week has daughter that is a senior in college. Her economics prof that is involved with the dairy at the college said that cull / pound cows need to be sold before early march as the forecast is for a downturn in prices. Wonder what that is about? She said she had just gotten an e-mail from them. He was predicting things for the spring. Said he has been pretty accurate in the past several years she has been there.

I sure would like to know more about this March downturn?

Yeah I saw that too. Mid age and up that are bred 4 or less months all went to the packers. I have 11 old cows on my cull list that currently have calves on them. I was going to sell them after weaning. Reconsidering some of them. For what they would bring, they may get to go another year.

I have bought a few young bred cows in the last 3 months figuring on culling out cows soon.
Most cows here today from .60 to .70 so guess i will sell soon.

bird dog":3g4p3du6 said:
Yeah I saw that too. Mid age and up that are bred 4 or less months all went to the packers. I have 11 old cows on my cull list that currently have calves on them. I was going to sell them after weaning. Reconsidering some of them. For what they would bring, they may get to go another year.

My thoughts on this topic are how much difference in dollars to replace those old cows with bred heifers, not how cheap they are.

A previous post replaced an old cow with a young one for $50. I guess time will tell if it was a good deal or not. There comes a point when those old girls just start costing time and money.

@bball ; I don't know anymore about the notice that she got from the ecom prof about the downturn. Haven't seen it anywhere else but I haven't had time to look much. We have 7 or 8 in the "Last Calf lot " with calves on them. They all need to go but were hoping the calves would gain a bit. Couple of them don't seem to have much milk but they are now on corn silage and some grain and are all eating good.
Also have 4 in the "last calf category" that are due this spring. As in NO teeth, type of thing. Of course there are one or two that seem to still produce alot of milk and raise nice calves and they may get a reprieve.... we will see. The ones in the back with the calves on them will definitely go when these calves come off. We have had alot of cows starting to "age out"; didn't realize how many were getting really old until preg check time and we were checking mouths. Had one today that just calved, in a group that are way behind the fall calving group and most will become spring calvers; and we checked her mouth and she has 3 nubs on one side. So, unless she does a real bang up job, she will leave if/when this calf leaves. It is a heifer so might get to join the replacements as this has been a pretty good family.
We had a group of cows that wintered terrible and had nutritionists and a vet and all look at them, tested the feed/silage everything. Finally settled on them not getting enough protein. So there were several that were way behind in getting bred and because we figured it was our fault, we didn't penalize them for it.

Anyway, I am going to see if I can find any other references to this downturn in cull cow price prediction. @bird dog where did you see it?

gcreekrch":29fjoir9 said:
bird dog":29fjoir9 said:

My thoughts on this topic are how much difference in dollars to replace those old cows with bred heifers, not how cheap they are.

A previous post replaced an old cow with a young one for $50. I guess time will tell if it was a good deal or not. There comes a point when those old girls just start costing time and money.

That's why I bought yesterday

Sold an old small cull that came with a herd we bought few years back. She was past her prime and looking rough. Only brought $.25lb cleared $159. Most others were around the same some as low as $.15.

Latest posts