Safest cows for kids?

Help Support CattleToday:

Edgoat

Reaction score
I hope to get my kids involved with livestock. Do you have an opinion of the "safest" breed of cattle for kids to work with? I would assume the smaller breeds and polled breeds would be best. Of course, I realize even a small polled cow can kill you.

Thanks

I would go with Texas Longhorns. I know they have horns, but once you become accustomed to the horns its not bad. Plus, there are many, many shows to go to and a lot of really great people. I have been showing Texas Longhorns since I was 5 my brother and sister have been showing since roughly the same age. Although most people don't think of them this way, Longhorns are generally a very docile breed.

One thing that youth in the Texas Longhorn Breeders of Tomorrow (TLBT) showing Longhorns have that nobody else has is the Autobahn Youth Scholarship Tour. At 3 shows a year (Dallas State Fair of Texas, Fort Worth Stock Show, and then the TLBT National Show) scholarship money is awarded to the exhibitors that place in the top 5 of each class, and then the top 3 in showmanship. In 2005 there will be $130,000 given to the kids, and this money goes straight into an interest-gaining scholarship fund, that is to be used for post-high school education (college, trade school, etc...). My sister won over $10,000 in just a couple of years, more than enough to pay for her entire cosmetology school. Money can also be put into the account by yourself for your kids college funds.

Just something to think about...

Ryan

You're going to get a lot of differing opinions on this one. There are a couple of us out here that prefer the Murray Greys.

I have a boy with "special needs" and I chose that breed because of the docility factor more than anything else, but I can tell you that growthiness and meat qualtiy rival anything else out there.

beefy i was wondering who was going to say beefmasters.i for 1 am thinking bout buying some reg cows again.scott

i dont have any registered cows but was also thinking about getting a few. all i have is 1/2- 7/8. they will definitely give them polled herefords a run for their money in the docility department, i promise you.

If beefmasters are that gentle they have to get it from the hereford side. I have about four beefmasters they have about the same temperment as my other bra.x

I'd say to go with polled herefords, hands down. They're really easy to work with even before they get used to you. Of course, any breed can be gentle. Its all in how you handle them.

My son is 15 and been raising brahman cattle for 2 years. The they are as gental as any cow I have been around. I say if they are use to being around people and treated right any breed will do.

My thoughts are that if you have a cow that you know is a little mean then you don't take your eye off of her. I remember we used to have an old mama cow that when she came through the sorting pen you stayed close to the fence and watched her every move. She never hurt any of us because we were aware of her attitude. Who knows if she ever did get ahold of us she probably wouldn't know what to do but we never gave her the chance. I agree though that if you are getting your kids invloved a more docile breed is a good thing to look for but just remeber to always be aware of whats going on.
Another thing to consider is just because they are calm doesn't mean they are worth having. You have to also look at the economics of it. You and your kids will enjoy it more if you don't go in the hole every year.

J":3qale3df said:
Another thing to consider is just because they are calm doesn't mean they are worth having. You have to also look at the economics of it. You and your kids will enjoy it more if you don't go in the hole every year.

Just curious, but are you talking about a particular breed here, or just some individual cows?

El_Putzo":3ql1eql8 said:
J":3ql1eql8 said:

Just curious, but are you talking about a particular breed here, or just some individual cows?

Not refering to any breeds here just saying that in your area a "whatever" might not bring as much as a "something else".
Wasn't trying to imply anything or make anyone mad. Just thinking about it from a money point of view and not just the disposition of the animal. I always try to see all sides of the situation.

There are really gentle cattle in every breed. In the same breath there are some real witches in every breed. Pick a breed and then have disposition as one of your selection criteria.

BC":1b93yzgt said:
There are really gentle cattle in every breed. In the same breath there are some real witches in every breed. Pick a breed and then have disposition as one of your selection criteria.

Well said.

Edgoat":uvtajyi9 said:
I hope to get my kids involved with livestock. Do you have an opinion of the "safest" breed of cattle for kids to work with? I would assume the smaller breeds and polled breeds would be best. Of course, I realize even a small polled cow can kill you.

Thanks

There is no such thing as a safe bovine! You are dealing with an animal who's stomach is 30 times larger than its brain.
There are more docile breeds of course than others.
You have to remember a cow swating at flies off her back can send a kid flying and no intent was meant, or old Betsy kicked at old Belle at the feed trough.

You need to get a safe cow out of your head the gentle ones will hurt you the quickest as they are the ones you forget to watch.

I have 2 little sisters and they rub and love all over our Murry Grey Calves, They are very good natured and easy to handle, We have some Beefmasters and they are calm also. But I would go with a Murry Grey.

Yep I have a hereford cross that will knock you on your butt.
She is a short timer lol
Hereford's are usually good natured easy going animals, but take a look.

If you walk into the field and the ears are up and thier head is on a swivle and they are "bright eyed" stay away. It will not end well.

Most any breed will have good ones and nuts.
Be careful and have fun

MD

Latest posts