red or black bull

Help Support CattleToday:

terry

Reaction score
I know that the trend in the cattle world is going to black cattle is this a fad or reality. I'm needing to buy a different bull trying to make my mind up.

if it is a fad, it's a dang long one.... I say it's reality, quality black cattle bring more than quality coloreds... most anywhere

I, too have been debating that this year. I'm actually trying to breed my replacement heifers so that they are black but have a red recessive gene. That way if the trend does go red. I can put a red bull on those cows and get half my calves to come out red. I do think that there will be a point where all those generic black cattle will not be popular any more and they will be looking for better indications of marbling genetics. One guy told me Shorthorns with their distinctive markings could be the next big thing. It s anyone's guess.

The continued growth and success of the Certified Hereford Beef Program is creating pull-through demand for the genetics that will produce this product. Add to that several other Hereford beef programs including Ridgefield Farms Premium Hereford Beef, that are also growing. I never knew of a white face hurting a black-hided calf at the sale barn either. With the majority of cow herds now black with Angus and their black stepchildren, Black Limousine, Black Simmental, Black Maine Anjou.......... well, you get the idea-at some point, folks are going to need a cross with some real heterosis, and the Hereford bull waits in the pastures of hundreds of Hereford breeders across this land for just such an opportunity. He's docile, he's fertile, and he gets the job done. He's available in performance or calving ease versions, or combinations of the two. He comes horned or polled, whichever is your preference. You can choose a moderate South Texas version, or a huge Canadian version. IMO that's the way to go! :)

terry":11eq6itz said:
I know that the trend in the cattle world is going to black cattle is this a fad or reality. I'm needing to buy a different bull trying to make my mind up.

I'm with Jake on this one. The black hided preference is not a fad, it's a reality here in the US. The Angus Assn has data showing that known Angus sired calves outsell generic black calves. In my visits to the sale barns, good black calves sell for more than good other color calves and sorry black calves sell for more than sorry calves of other colors. But sorry black calves won't necessarily outsell good red, white, striped, etc., calves.

Consider buying a good Angus bull. Also consider retaining interest in some of your calves. It's a learning situtation when you're feeding some of your own cattle. Good luck...

I have sold red calves for as much as my blacks. Good cattle always sale well.

Scotty

I have sold red calves for as much as my blacks. Good cattle always sale well.

Scotty

I agree if you want black buy Angus the rest are just counterfiets. But to buy a bull because it's black is BS. Quality sells I have both and the reds do as well as the black. You need to remember most of the opinons you get are biased to there breed. It's a shame that people are buying into the black is better. If cattlemen don't wake up and quit putting Angus genetics in every breed the beef industry gene pool is going to be as screwed up as the Dairy gene pool. Find the best bull you can afford in a breed you like, Black hide does not cover up poor management. If you decide to buy black herefords.simms,limms and etc you are getting watered down Angus genetics, like I have said before its like wading in the septic tank. Wouldn't you rather wade in clean pure water.

It's a darn shame what is happening to quality bulls that aren't black also. The last sale I went to at Adam's Ranch Florida, was quite a surprise. Bred heifers sold for as much as tested high quality bulls. Seemed to average around $1400. Mr Adam's is a bit disappointed I'm sure. Their claim is the same as it always has been. They've seen colors and breeds come and go, but the steadfast attention to consistent quality product and the low maintenance cow herd have kept them going strong for several decades and will continue for years to come. He's putting 8,000 calves a year into the market and every one of them is red.

Frankie":35w81wlk said:
terry":35w81wlk said:

I'm with Jake on this one. The black hided preference is not a fad, it's a reality here in the US. The Angus Assn has data showing that known Angus sired calves outsell generic black calves. In my visits to the sale barns, good black calves sell for more than good other color calves and sorry black calves sell for more than sorry calves of other colors. But sorry black calves won't necessarily outsell good red, white, striped, etc., calves.

Consider buying a good Angus bull. Also consider retaining interest in some of your calves. It's a learning situtation when you're feeding some of your own cattle. Good luck...

I'm sure that the Hereford breeders were just as confident that they would always be the #1 choice back in the decades that Herefords were king. I just hope you Angus breeders are as wrong as they were, because quality not color should be paramount. I am not denying that Angus have many attributes, and a good percentage of quality animals, and if you will look at other posts I've made, you'll find that they are among my favorite breeds.

I would add that if it is really the case that you can buy red bulls for less money than blacks, then here is a great bargain for the shoe-string budget producer who wants a great quality bull for less money.

Latest posts