Raising Cows for personnel consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

AllDodge

Reaction score
Have 20 sum acres and want to raise a cow for family consumption. Always heard (TV stuff) the Angus is the best eating, but wonder if that is really true? Think about getting a calve, raise and slaughter later. Plan to discuss this with local Vet and get is input.

Like the idea of no extra things (meds and what not) in the beef other then what they need. Don't think a full grown, fully fattened up is the way to go, just raise it long enough to get the best beef. Less or more then a year?

I prefer my breed (piedmontese) for beef, but no matter which breed you choose buy them in pairs. Calves do much better with a friend with them.

If you are just beginning a couple of Jersey steers are hard to beat if they are available where you are. Normally they have been bottle fed so they are easy for beginners to work with plus much cheaper than an Angus. I killed one last month weighing 1020lb. Great eating.

Thanks
Another forum mentioned dairy cow (Bull calves) as a way to try. Figure no need to get them very large, just 2 of us also but when kids show up. Just tired of buying like a rib eye and have 1/3 of it be fat. Have already been grinding my own GB using brisket, chuck and round.

If I have one in the spring, how old does it need to be to get 700 to 800 pounds?

AllDodge":gm76ddbb said:
Have 20 sum acres and want to raise a cow for family consumption. Always heard (TV stuff) the Angus is the best eating, but wonder if that is really true? Think about getting a calve, raise and slaughter later. Plan to discuss this with local Vet and get is input.

Like the idea of no extra things (meds and what not) in the beef other then what they need. Don't think a full grown, fully fattened up is the way to go, just raise it long enough to get the best beef. Less or more then a year?
First off, Welcome!. Angus have been promoted for carcass quality. Red Angus would be another to consider. For that matter any beef breed can provide a good eating experience if it has the right genetics.

First off, don't buy in that the meat you purchase at the store is full of medicine. Feeders only give it when needed, antibiotics are an expense and you don't spend money unless you are trying to save an animal that got sick. The animal had to recover and then fatten before it is slaughtered so this should not be a concern.

As far as how long to feed, most cattle are sent to a feed yard weighing 700 to 900 lbs and then fed 135 to 150 days. They should weigh 1300 to 1400 lbs at slaughter.

No matter what breed of animal, you have to understand a little of the physiology of cattle, and growth. A beef breed, such as angus, will usually come off it's dam at the 4-600 lb size at about 5-7 months. You will need to keep it for at least another 6-8 months in order for it to grow its' body, bone etc, and for it to put on a respectable amount of beef. Also understand that an animal will not start to marble --- which is what gives the meat some flavor and makes it a more enjoyable eating experience by actually providing "grease" in the beef --- until it reaches a certain stage of maturity. I am not saying to eat half fat, but the marbling makes the meat more tender as it cooks and makes it more juicy to eat. If you "pour the feed" to them, they will gain quicker, but will put on some more "outside fat" than actually marbling.
As Kenny said, a jersey will make very good beef. Jerseys are the 2nd best marbling beef, behind Wagyu, but understand the fat is yellow. It makes the meat a little more "sweet" tasting but I have been eating jersey beef for over 30 years. They will be about 2 when they are ready to kill. Dairy breeds will grow more bone, size, at first rather than put on as much muscle/meat. But they will be ALOT cheaper for you to buy and will make very good beef.
I definitely would get 2 to raise as they are herd animals. One will be more likely to want to go looking for company. You can raise 2, then sell one to help cover the costs of raising them. Or give beef to family members for Christmas presents. Get steers as you will not want to deal with heifers coming in heat and a bull is just not for a beginner.

Most beef animals are in the 15-20 month age when they come off a feedlot. And it is very true that the feed lots do not use any more antibiotics than are absolutely necessary as they are very expensive and the laws for drug residues are very strict. The hormone implants are another thing and I get the feeling that is what you really are wanting to avoid. I am with you on that.

There are books that you can read, try some of the "Storey Publications" that are available from some TSC, or find on line. They are great for beginners to at least get some basic knowledge from. Try some of the homesteading type publications, lots of the magazines again at TSC. Countryside, Acres USA, Stockman Grass Farmer, many others. You won't learn everything from a book, but it will give you some very good basics to draw from.

Thanks much for the info, a lot of real good info. I have a lot of thinking to do and discussion with extension office. I have the room, but all the stuff that goes along with raising them is slowing me down. I knew some of it and more discussions with buddy and others will be needed prior to doing it.

Wonder how many post I have to make before my post are posted automatically instead of held and released by Mod

Edit: guess its 5, this one went straight thru

Yes your first few posts get some scrutiny as to make sure they are appropriate. Don't let that slow you down, it will get better as you get a little better "known" and your posts are "real" and not "trouble making".

AllDodge, welcome to the boards.

If your raising it so you can say you know what it has been fed, by all means go for it. However I would caution against doing so if your belief is that it will save you money versus buying at the store. By the time you figure in the 20 acres of fencing alone that beef is extremely expensive.

On the flip side there is something very peaceful about having a couple critters in the pasture. I enjoy sitting outside and watching them graze on a nice summer night.

Just my humble opinion.

If there is no fencing on your land then it will be an expensive proposition to start. However, the fences should last for MANY years, like 30+ if they are done right. It will improve the value of your place if you should decide to sell, and a small barn/shelter won't hurt you too much. If you fence the perimeter, then you can split it up in the interior with electric which will allow you to do a better job of managing the grass, and actually get better utilization out of it. And once the perimeter is fenced you can do the rest at a slower pace. Water will be the other factor.

Since you are talking to the extension agent, and some friends that hopefully have some cattle knowledge, I think you are going in the right direction. You won't make any money at it but knowing where your food comes from, and being able to provide it for yourself and not be dependent on the "grocery store" is a very satisfying feeling, besides being some of the best beef you will eat. Once you get the infrastructure up then it will be a much more economically sound investment in your self reliance and sustainability.
Do you garden also? That will go a long way to providing you with food that you know what went into it and where it came from.

Consider an off-breed such as Belted Galloway, Highlander, Shorthorn .... or crosses of them. Good meat but not black hided so that the overall price would be less to buy but more beef breed type than a dairy calf.

Ebenezer":2gybmzvs said:
Consider an off-breed such as Belted Galloway, Highlander, Shorthorn .... or crosses of them. Good meat but not black hided so that the overall price would be less to buy but more beef breed type than a dairy calf.

I agree. Or even Hereford at times. Feed input for dairy is the same as feed input cost for beef.

I have had several brangus grade prime. You won't get prime grades with dairy in my opinion.

Keep it wormed.

Welcome!!
"MOST" beef breed calves are raised on the cow until they are about 7-8 months of age. They will weigh around 400 to 650# at that age, depending on breed and quality. Dairy calves can be purchased at 1 day old, but can be extremely risky. They can die very easily. Of course, all animals can die at any time. But, you are looking at feeding it much longer than a beef calf that has been raised on a cow.
Dairy calf - cheap to buy - risky - feed out longer, less muscling, but can be excellent eating.
Beef calf - more expensive - shorter feeding time, more muscling, excellent eating.
A steer is usually 13 - 30 months of age at harvest time. Depending on if you grass feed or grain feed. Grain fed cattle also get grass and/or hay. If you have your mind set on grass fed, you might want to find someone that grass feeds steers and buy a good quality steak, to make sure that is what you want to eat. Some of us would never eat grass fed, but that's an individual preference.
All cattle, whether beef or dairy has health requirements. Most everyone vaccinates against diseases. No one uses antibiotics unless animal gets sick, and you would be foolish not to treat a sick animal, but there is a holding time before it can be slaughtered. No meat sold at a store has antibiotics in it. This is false advertising.

Latest posts