Put In An Offer

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1h2z5mxm said:
ddd75":1h2z5mxm said:
when 30 days comes.. say.. HEY>. the new pr.ick is in town. GET THE F OUT and get your glue off my pastures
I figure Dave has got a lot more sense and class than that.

After considerable thought I have a plan. The property was owned by this old couple, their daughter, and son in law. All four names were on all the documents. The daughter and her husband had previously moved out. The son in law is the under sheriff in the county and by all accounts a stand up guy. The one time I talked to him he came across that way. They have until June 15 to remove all the horses (45+/-) and June 25 to be out themselves. I will be there off and on between now and then. But not say a thing. My plan is to be there on June 10. If there are still horses there and I can't see movement I will call the son in law. I will explain to him that I have no interest in being the bad guy but we do have a contract that lays things out in black and white. I would hope that he will be able to make them see the light and make them understand how much money it will cost them (and him). The trouble is in my former job I at times got to deal with several horse collector types. Not one of them volunteered to move out when their lease was up. Hopefully it won't come to that.

ChrisB":9yqshubu said:
TexasBred":9yqshubu said:
Dave":9yqshubu said:
The nearest one is 3/4 miles as the crow flies. The next one is about another mile. After that it is about another 2 miles. Turning to the left up through the canyon it is about 15 miles.
That's good. As much as we all enjoy being left alone it's always good to have a good neighbor not too far down the road in case of emergencies. Sounds like a wonderful setup. I figure I can probably make it up sometimes in June or July. Get away from this Texas heat for about a month......lololol

Sweet! Party at Dave's! I've been looking for a good reason to visit that area. I'll bring the baked beans.

... sounds like you've got a crew to help move out all the trash, starting June 26 ...

... and then to replace any old stretch of fence ...

... as long as they get some time to catch some trout, hike and sight see ... :)

Dave":1uj15v22 said:
TexasBred":1uj15v22 said:
ddd75":1uj15v22 said:
when 30 days comes.. say.. HEY>. the new pr.ick is in town. GET THE F OUT and get your glue off my pastures
I figure Dave has got a lot more sense and class than that.

After considerable thought I have a plan. The property was owned by this old couple, their daughter, and son in law. All four names were on all the documents. The daughter and her husband had previously moved out. The son in law is the under sheriff in the county and by all accounts a stand up guy. The one time I talked to him he came across that way. They have until June 15 to remove all the horses (45+/-) and June 25 to be out themselves. I will be there off and on between now and then. But not say a thing. My plan is to be there on June 10. If there are still horses there and I can't see movement I will call the son in law. I will explain to him that I have no interest in being the bad guy but we do have a contract that lays things out in black and white. I would hope that he will be able to make them see the light and make them understand how much money it will cost them (and him). The trouble is in my former job I at times got to deal with several horse collector types. Not one of them volunteered to move out when their lease was up. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I'll encourage you to have a soft chat with the son in law on Monday ... "hey, it's not really my business on how or when they're going to move out, but the closer it gets to the date, the more my business it becomes and frankly, with his injury and the lack of progress, I'm getting a little concerned ... what's the plan?"

Then, repeat the question, with a bit more intensity each week.

If no movement with a week to go, consider having an attorney send a stern letter in hopes you won't have to ask the son in law to enforce the contact against his wife's parents.

Maybe, along the way, ask the neighbors who lives in the area who could possibly help them haul stuff to the dump ... them give the info to the son in law?

WalnutCrest":89mnamsr said:
ChrisB":89mnamsr said:
TexasBred":89mnamsr said:
That's good. As much as we all enjoy being left alone it's always good to have a good neighbor not too far down the road in case of emergencies. Sounds like a wonderful setup. I figure I can probably make it up sometimes in June or July. Get away from this Texas heat for about a month......lololol

Sweet! Party at Dave's! I've been looking for a good reason to visit that area. I'll bring the baked beans.

... sounds like you've got a crew to help move out all the trash, starting June 26 ...

... and then to replace any old stretch of fence ...

... as long as they get some time to catch some trout, hike and sight see ... :)

We will have to wait and see what happens with the trash. July is sort of the wrong time of year to fish for trout but I hear there is great small mouth bass fishing in the Brownlee Reservoir. People are welcome to hike and fish to their hearts content. Replacing old fence...... I don't know that I can put up that big of a crew for that long. Fences in this country are more of a suggestion than a barrier. That is why everyone brands. Come fall gathering the neighbor has 5 of mine but I have 4 of his, 3 from the other neighbor and one that takes a little research to figure out where the heck she came from and how many miles she traveled to get here.

Just don't get to attached to my rv; I'm planning on taking that with me when we leave next spring.

I don't know that I'd rope the kid into it. Think of yourself, would you appreciate that? It's not really his business, nor would it be his parents' business if wasn't moving out as quickly as you'd like. Also, while they haven't started, they have over a month to go. Who knows what's going to happen between then and now. For all you know, they could hire it out (wishful thinking, right?). If it were me, I'd tread lightly with familiar pressure and allow the real estate agent to do it. Remember, he/she is working for you, and will know the legalities of this. As for them living out front, I can't type my response here b/c it's a family forum. No way in h-e-l-l would I allow that to happen. There are camp grounds they can go to. This is asking for a lawsuit. Nope, wouldn't touch that with a telephone pole.

Bestoutwest":33ovn8em said:
I don't know that I'd rope the kid into it. Think of yourself, would you appreciate that? It's not really his business, nor would it be his parents' business if wasn't moving out as quickly as you'd like. Also, while they haven't started, they have over a month to go. Who knows what's going to happen between then and now. For all you know, they could hire it out (wishful thinking, right?). If it were me, I'd tread lightly with familiar pressure and allow the real estate agent to do it. Remember, he/she is working for you, and will know the legalities of this. As for them living out front, I can't type my response here b/c it's a family forum. No way in h-e-l-l would I allow that to happen. There are camp grounds they can go to. This is asking for a lawsuit. Nope, wouldn't touch that with a telephone pole.

The kid isn't a kid. The daughter and him have kids in high school. And the daughter and son in law had half interest in the ranch, they were co-owners. So half of the money ($5,000) held in escrow to insure that the horses are removed would be their money. So that part of the move is his business. The real estate agent represented both parties in this deal. And he is absolutely an up front honest man. He said that he is working with them to find a place. He is a good man for the job. The problem much of which is in my mind comes from comments she has made. The living in a camp trailer in the driveway simply isn't going to happen. The horses will be gone. If they need to leave a load or two until the next weekend, well there will be room in the barn. If they needed me to haul a load or two, I would help out where I can. But they accepted our offer back in early February. They have had plenty of time to come up with a plan. I guess that is what is getting to me. Talking to them they don't even have a plan.

Dave":2h5xvkvn said:
The kid isn't a kid. The daughter and him have kids in high school. And the daughter and son in law had half interest in the ranch, they were co-owners. So half of the money ($5,000) held in escrow to insure that the horses are removed would be their money. So that part of the move is his business. The real estate agent represented both parties in this deal. And he is absolutely an up front honest man. He said that he is working with them to find a place. He is a good man for the job. The problem much of which is in my mind comes from comments she has made. The living in a camp trailer in the driveway simply isn't going to happen. The horses will be gone. If they need to leave a load or two until the next weekend, well there will be room in the barn. If they needed me to haul a load or two, I would help out where I can. But they accepted our offer back in early February. They have had plenty of time to come up with a plan. I guess that is what is getting to me. Talking to them they don't even have a plan.

I knew he was an adult. I had read the whole thread and for some reason it flew right over my head that he was involved with the sale. My point was that, had he not been involved in the sale, that it wasn't really his business. However, it is his business. They have had more than enough time to come up with a plan, sounds like they are delusional. This is one of those situations where it's "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes." This a raw deal. Sorry, man.

I can assure you, you are going to be in the trash hauling business. The ranch I bought was from a very wealthy family. Didn't matter, they all leave as much garbage as they think they can get away with. I hope I'm wrong, but bet that I am not.

Bestoutwest":2ogosa4i said:
Dave":2ogosa4i said:

I knew he was an adult. I had read the whole thread and for some reason it flew right over my head that he was involved with the sale. My point was that, had he not been involved in the sale, that it wasn't really his business. However, it is his business. They have had more than enough time to come up with a plan, sounds like they are delusional. This is one of those situations where it's "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes." This a raw deal. Sorry, man.

That is why I plan to talk to him. He is involved financially yet as a son in law and thus he is a step back. Also as the under sheriff he understands the legal end of things. I want to give them plenty of time to get it all together but not wait until the last minute. That is why I said June 10. The horses are supposed to be gone by June 15 (Friday). If they are still there June 18 (Monday), their $5,000 is mine. I don't want their money. They have 6 weeks today to be out. Maybe this concern is all in my mind. But with all the money I paid for that place I want to move in without any trouble.

bird dog":2em3akc9 said:
I can assure you, you are going to be in the trash hauling business. The ranch I bought was from a very wealthy family. Didn't matter, they all leave as much garbage as they think they can get away with. I hope I'm wrong, but bet that I am not.

Already looked into it and planning for it. The county dump is about 20 miles away. I have looked into getting a dump trailer from the rental place. I figure with a loader tractor and a dump trailer it wont take too long. The question left to be seen is can I do it in one day or will it take more.

Dave":32x9ra0v said:
bird dog":32x9ra0v said:

Already looked into it and planning for it. The county dump is about 20 miles away. I have looked into getting a dump trailer from the rental place. I figure with a loader tractor and a dump trailer it wont take too long. The question left to be seen is can I do it in one day or will it take more.

More.

Without going into the gory details, we moved or farm twice within six weeks this time last year.

It always takes more.

Time, money, effort, patience, etc...

I was down to the ranch today. Happy to report that progress was being made. Garbage being hauled off. Things looking better. Less horses than before. They were meeting with the brand inspector today because more of them leaving. Their daughter and SIL closed on a place in town which is clearing out their big storage unit so Mom and Dad can put their stuff their. Things are looking up.

On the other hand I stopped at the DMV to find out what it is going to cost register our vehicles in Oregon. OUCH..... Oh well it is only money. I just wish I had more of it about now.

Well the horses are all gone. I had to go down and sign a paper so the sellers could get their money from escrow. I thought I would be meeting the realtor to sign but he called shortly after I left home. He also has a ranch and had to spend the day riding in the mountains. He said that he would leave the paper with the sellers. I knew the sellers would be gone so we arranged for him to leave it in the shop for me to find. So about 3 hours later I was driving through La Grande (about 60-70 miles from Durkee) and he called me. He had left the paper but wanted to warn me about the dogs. Seems the sellers two dogs were biting his tires as he pulled in and as he left. He had to arm himself with a pitchfork to get into and out of the shop. I picked up an old 2x4 along the road. I pulled up right close to the shop door. One step from the car door to the shop door. I was glad I had the 2x4. Dogs bit my tires too. I was going to check out some other things while I was there but decided against it. I won't go back now until I begin moving in on the 25th. I hope they don't leave those dogs...... well maybe not. I know what would happen if they did leave them.

Getting closer and closer!! He coulda done you a big favor while he had the pitchfork out.........

One of my neighbors has a bunch of yard dogs like that..& they raise mortal cain every time you pull in their yard. I just keep honking the horn til someone comes out and corrals all those dogs. They do keep the cat population down over there tho...

greybeard":1ab1qrqx said:
Getting closer and closer!! He coulda done you a big favor while he had the pitchfork out.........

One of my neighbors has a bunch of yard dogs like that..& they raise mortal cain every time you pull in their yard. I just keep honking the horn til someone comes out and corrals all those dogs. They do keep the cat population down over there tho...
As long as those dogs stay on their own property..here, we have free agents.apparently it belongs to the whole neighborhood...

greybeard":pbq78jqa said:

I poked around in the shop while I was in there. It was emptied out. Not cleaned up. Judging from the amount of mouse droppings they could have used a few less dogs and maybe a cat or two. There is a pretty fair snake population there. A few less mice and maybe there won't be as many snakes attracted.

Latest posts