Put In An Offer

Help Support CattleToday:

This is Little Sinker Canyon. I am told it is "famous" deer hunting. It is entirely on my property. I am standing at about 2,700 feet elevation. It is about 4,600 feet at the top. Not a road or a quad trail in it. All either on foot or horseback. And it better be a sure footed horse.

This definitely cowboy country. You aren't going to gather cattle with a white bucket or a quad. It is horses and good herding dogs. I leased out the place because there is no way to buy cattle this late in the season and have it be anything but a train wreck. The hired guy of the rancher I leased to has his jaw wired shut. Going across a little draw up in the hills. The horse decided it didn't want to go there. Went to turn and lost its footing. Rolled off the mountain and over this kid. Broke his jaw in two places. Poor young fella isn't any bigger than a tooth pick to start with and now he has to eat through a straw for 6 weeks. Friend of mine always said, "it is he77 to hire on to be tough and then have to go out and prove it."

Dave":2w7ppjb2 said:
This definitely cowboy country. You aren't going to gather cattle with a white bucket or a quad. It is horses and good herding dogs. I leased out the place because there is no way to buy cattle this late in the season and have it be anything but a train wreck. The hired guy of the rancher I leased to has his jaw wired shut. Going across a little draw up in the hills. The horse decided it didn't want to go there. Went to turn and lost its footing. Rolled off the mountain and over this kid. Broke his jaw in two places. Poor young fella isn't any bigger than a tooth pick to start with and now he has to eat through a straw for 6 weeks. Friend of mine always said, "it is he77 to hire on to be tough and then have to go out and prove it."

Dave, I'm proud for you. And that's an absolutely beautiful place :tiphat: But I regretfully inform you that you need to go back and edit your last post. Didn't you read the other thread? You can't use the word 'cowboy' anymore. It's racist, sexist and I can remeber what else but it may offend some readers :hide: :lol2:

JMJ Farms":clhqwlao said:
Dave":clhqwlao said:

Dave, I'm proud for you. And that's an absolutely beautiful place :tiphat: But I regretfully inform you that you need to go back and edit your last post. Didn't you read the other thread? You can't use the word 'cowboy' anymore. It's racist, sexist and I can remeber what else but it may offend some readers :hide: :lol2:

JMJ, you obviously didn't read my post in that thread. I am personally offended that anyone is offended by the use of the word cowboy and by the media's definition of the term.

JMJ Farms":3dyii2f6 said:
Dave":3dyii2f6 said:

JMJ, you obviously didn't read my post in that thread. I am personally offended that anyone is offended by the use of the word cowboy and by the media's definition of the term.

Dave":yzehbwk9 said:
JMJ Farms":yzehbwk9 said:
Dave":yzehbwk9 said:

I read it after the fact. But I was just poking fun at you. I wasn't being serious :tiphat:

JMJ Farms":3tfrw2b9 said:
Dave":3tfrw2b9 said:
JMJ Farms":3tfrw2b9 said:

I read it after the fact. But I was just poking fun at you. I wasn't being serious :tiphat:[/quote

I knew that you were poking fun. I thought never let a good oppurtunity to be offended pass by. I have been taking lessons from the snowflakes.

Dave":g85q5yzl said:

It's a good thing you have all that land so you won't offend anyone with your cowboying! Man, that's a pretty place. I could really go for something like that. It looks just like here, how far are you from the Boise area?

Bestoutwest":16ba40ld said:
Dave":16ba40ld said:

It's a good thing you have all that land so you won't offend anyone with your cowboying! Man, that's a pretty place. I could really go for something like that. It looks just like here, how far are you from the Boise area?

It is supposed to be 100 miles to Boise. I haven't driven it yet and have no plans to do it any time soon.

Dave":1d9qun9n said:
This is Little Sinker Canyon. I am told it is "famous" deer hunting. It is entirely on my property. I am standing at about 2,700 feet elevation. It is about 4,600 feet at the top. Not a road or a quad trail in it. All either on foot or horseback. And it better be a sure footed horse.

Looks like some Hun, and upland territory. A good dog would be much more entertaining than the deer. ;-)

sim.-ang.king":2r6sdrmt said:
Dave":2r6sdrmt said:

Looks like some Hun, and upland territory. A good dog would be much more entertaining than the deer. ;-)

I have seen a couple flocks of Huns. They say it was great chukar hunting. A tough winter two years ago was hard on them but they are making a come back. I have seen bighorn sheep, turkey in the hills, ducks in the river, elk on the north side of the river, pheasant, and lots of deer. Coyotes that are worth skinning once again. And great colored bobcats that bring big bucks. I won't lack for something to hunt.

Dave":34cjpkk4 said:
This is an older aerial photo of the house, out buildings, and some of the irrigated ground.

You will notice a corner on the county road on the left side of the picture. Bert told me that one car a year misses that corner. It is about 40 feet off as steep as you can stack dirt with the irrigation canal at the bottom. So Tuesday night I am sitting in my recliner talking to the wife, her daughter and granddaughter. I watched a set of head lights drive off the bank. The driver was ok. He claimed that he fell asleep. In the daylight the next morning the car tracks looked like he just drove off the road. No swerving. No braking. So this is the view from the road looking down the next morning.

This is the view of the house from where he left the road.

I will be going black for a while as we are taking the computer to Oregon in the morning. I am not sure how quickly we will get satellite internet up and running.

fence_it":bwkqp9oi said:
Dave, how far are you from the substation fire?

I am back. Nice to have TV and internet in the house. Both by way of satellite.

Where I was in Goldendale I was just across the river from the Substation fire. Where I am now in Baker County I am over 200 miles by highway east of that fire. That is one thing that is nice about now being connected to the rest of the world. During that fire we had smoke laying in here in the morning. Makes you wonder where the fire is and with no TV or internet you are left guessing.

Latest posts