Put In An Offer

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well I might be a resident of the great state of Oregon if my offer gets accepted. Nice house and buildings. More range land than I wanted but neighbors wanting to lease that part. Everyone for miles are ranchers. Great water rights with flood irrigation so zero pumping cost. Deer and elk in the hills. Fish and ducks in the river that runs through it. A short drive up the canyon and you will see bighorn sheep. Literally 30 or 40 miles as the crow flies of open BLM out the back gate. It would take a life time to explore all that horseback or on a quad.
The pens need some work. One of the irrigated fields needs to be reseeded. Some of the range is a bit steep. And there might be an occasional unfriendly snake.

Dave":14xcvpu6 said:
Well I might be a resident of the great state of Oregon if my offer gets accepted. Nice house and buildings. More range land than I wanted but neighbors wanting to lease that part. Everyone for miles are ranchers. Great water rights with flood irrigation so zero pumping cost. Deer and elk in the hills. Fish and ducks in the river that runs through it. A short drive up the canyon and you will see bighorn sheep. Literally 30 or 40 miles as the crow flies of open BLM out the back gate. It would take a life time to explore all that horseback or on a quad.
The pens need some work. One of the irrigated fields needs to be reseeded. Some of the range is a bit steep. And there might be an occasional unfriendly snake.

Congrats and good luck Dave. Hope you get it.

Congratulations. What is the nearest town? What are the odds of getting a sheep permit? I am guessing 1 in a 100.

greybeard":bxu4idyl said:
I never can get my head around the concept of 'water rights'.

If you lived in an area with 9 inches of annual rainfall you would learn about water rights in a hurry. In a nut shell it is how much water is available for use and who used that water first. In the case of this farm there are two diversion ditches. One for each side of the valley. When compared to the entire watershed their is very little irrigated land so there is plenty of water. The withdrawal points for both ditches are on this property. So I would be the first one with water. Also this little community is on the old Oregon Trail and was an important stage stop. That put water use dated back to the 1870's. A 1870's-80's date on water rights are absolutely golden.
Water in the big irrigation projects with lots reservoirs and canals can cost up to $70 an acre or more just for water delivery plus the cost to pump it on to your field. The small simple system involved on this property the cost is only $7 an acre for delivered water with no pumping cost. That money goes to the irrigation district for ditch maintenance.

So if this deal pans out, and I hope it does cause it sounds fantastic, would you then consider yourself a rancher? :D

Dave":jtpsir4h said:
greybeard":jtpsir4h said:
I never can get my head around the concept of 'water rights'.

If you lived in an area with 9 inches of annual rainfall you would learn about water rights in a hurry. In a nut shell it is how much water is available for use and who used that water first. In the case of this farm there are two diversion ditches. One for each side of the valley. When compared to the entire watershed their is very little irrigated land so there is plenty of water. The withdrawal points for both ditches are on this property. So I would be the first one with water. Also this little community is on the old Oregon Trail and was an important stage stop. That put water use dated back to the 1870's. A 1870's-80's date on water rights are absolutely golden.
Water in the big irrigation projects with lots reservoirs and canals can cost up to $70 an acre or more just for water delivery plus the cost to pump it on to your field. The small simple system involved on this property the cost is only $7 an acre for delivered water with no pumping cost. That money goes to the irrigation district for ditch maintenance.
Our rights are 1886 I think

Bighorn sheep are pests, and at least around here, are protected pests

Well they counter offered yesterday and we accepted it today. Now the fun begins......
I never seem to be able to get pictures to post here but there is a way to view it for those who want to see it. Google Whitney Land Co Pendleton, Oregon. On their website click on the ranch tab. Scroll down past all the multi million dollar ranches To "Durkee Ranch". That is it.

Latest posts