Put In An Offer

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":26ookle3 said:
It does look nice! So a few John Hancocks and it's done now?
Are you even allowed to use that term if you're not American?

Congratulations, that's a beautiful place. I can feel the quiet while looking at the pictures.

If it happens to be overrun with mule deer or elk and you could use a hand thinning them out, I'll be glad to help out!

Was it formerly used for a trail riding business?

Dave":1scec8bf said:
ddd75":1scec8bf said:
congrats. looks like a really nice place.

How many head are you planning on running there? Do you think it would run 60-70 pairs and hay for them all winter? How long is the winter season there?

They figure it is 65 head year round. It isn't really high at the valley floor, around 2,400 feet. Winter will vary there but snow tends to come and go. Occasionally snow will last Dec-Feb. I will own that mountain in the picture. It is 4,400 feet top at the top. Actually own down the other side too.

The place is just a few minutes off I-84. Anyone headed through Oregon will be welcome to stop by. We will be about 5 miles out of Durkee. The little town of Durkee (population about zero) is next to the freeway. There is a post office, small church, and a coffee shop. About 10 house, half of which look to be empty. The old school is well kept up as a community center. It is right on the Oregon Trail and Durkee was an important stage stop on the Boise/Umatilla stage line. Unfortunately the stage stopped running about 140 years ago

awesome.. congrats again. looks like some fun horse riding!

Dave":3rmob9vi said:
Well I might be a resident of the great state of Oregon if my offer gets accepted. Nice house and buildings. More range land than I wanted but neighbors wanting to lease that part. Everyone for miles are ranchers. Great water rights with flood irrigation so zero pumping cost. Deer and elk in the hills. Fish and ducks in the river that runs through it. A short drive up the canyon and you will see bighorn sheep. Literally 30 or 40 miles as the crow flies of open BLM out the back gate. It would take a life time to explore all that horseback or on a quad.
The pens need some work. One of the irrigated fields needs to be reseeded. Some of the range is a bit steep. And there might be an occasional unfriendly snake.
Can't even imagine waking every morning to that big beautiful mountain. What an awesome sight. Congratulations Dave.

I drove down to the ranch yesterday. I had 6 different people to meet with. I had some time to kill in between #2 and #3 so I took a drive up the canyon. That is the road on past the ranch. Just past the ranch to valley narrows to a very deep steep winding canyon. About 15 miles it opens up into a valley. I drove about half way and turned around. This was about 10:30 AM. I saw elk in two places (only 3 elk total), 2 bands of bighorn sheep (all ewes and yearlings), 2 bunches of mule deer does, and only one other vehicle. I am sure looking forward to moving there.

Congrats Dave
Amazing country up there.
That place would be a dream come true for me

farmerjan":2c0y49pa said:
Good to see your post Kathie in Thorpe. How's the retirement from the cows going?

I never expected retirement to be so busy, Jan! Have accomplished very darn little of what was on my "list." Just in the last month, a 10-day trip to Hawaii and 2 trips to Idaho via Baker City, OR, near Dave's new place.

If any of you want to move on over to Oregon to get cozier to Dave, see the same realtor web site that he posted and look up the 57 and Meadow Grass River ranches. Those belong to my sis and her husband.

Kathie in Thorp":2ipgh3cc said:
Congrats, Dave and Mrs. Dave! May see you over there when I visit fam at the Baker City area ranches, travelling to/from Idaho. Beautiful country there.
Welcome back Kathie. Don't disappear on us again. :lol:

well look at you sittin atop cowboy mountain watchin life pass

can I come?

Although this place does have indoor plumbing and electricity it does lack in several regards. Things that most of you take for granted like internet and cell service are seriously lacking. We are looking into satellite internet. And of course there is the standard land line for a phone. The sellers stated that dial up internet barely worked at all and when it did the phone wouldn't work.

Latest posts