Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

ram":2qi75pvh said:
I don't see anyway possible that someone is losing $500. a head. You'd be bankrupt after the first load. The price of beef is high in the grocery stores compared to 2-3 years ago.
Ram, think back to last spring when 750 weight calves were bringing in the upper $220's and now selling finished in the upper $120's

Inputs Total $ CWT
Cost of Gain 600 pounds 520.99 0.87
Estimated Interest (Prime + 1%) 34.42
Resulting Breakeven $2265.41 $167.81
Current Texas Panhandle Cash $1740.83 $128.95
Net Profit / Loss -$524.58 -$38.86

Stocker Steve":o032hmyy said:
Toad":o032hmyy said:
Lots of older bred cows going for under $1,000. In every market there is opportunities to make a dollar. Right now it looks like its trending away from buying young cows for big $$$. I think it would take me 3-4 years to pay for a young bred $2000+ cow at these prices. But I can double my money in a year buying these solid old cows.

Yes, there is always a good trade out there. One risk w/ older cows is that the kill price could go down more...
Yes that is a big risk. I bought old cows last winter for an average of about $1000. Sold the calves off in Oct and have been selling the old cows off. I've made money but not as much as what I would have made if cull prices hadn't already fell. Of course a few years ago it worked the opposite way for me. I bought some old cows for about $750 and sold calves off of them for well over $1000 in less than a year.
One of the reasons I'm leaning more toward buying old cows is the fact that I'm so limited on available land. By only owning an animal about 9 months I think I will be able to rotate and have more available calves to sell then a normal operation. I'm also thinking I will be in a better place to control the number of animals I bring through the winter. Being able to sell a percentage of my hay crop will bring in some cash as well.

ram":31xvlj6r said:
I don't see anyway possible that someone is losing $500. a head. You'd be bankrupt after the first load. The price of beef is high in the grocery stores compared to 2-3 years ago.
The meat packers and retail stores are making a killing. The cow/calf, stockers and feed lots are not doing well. Many feedlots were forced under during this latest down turn in the market. You can not buy high and sell cheap.
Cow/calf people have the option to hold their calves a while waiting on the market. Stockers and feed lots do not have that option. Packers know this and once fat cattle get backed up then the feed lots have to get what price they can.

its been a very good time to dollar cost average winter stocker cattle back during the least 3 weeks. rolling back costs on high prices calves that were contracted back in the summer. this has in some instances, where we and a few other operators i know were over protected on sets of cattle ahead of filling up ranches, allowed the break-even cost of a total set that was used against the board when pricing put options to protect one's self to go down, making the positions more lucrative relative to the cost of the cattle.
this is a welcome boost to profits in a deteriorating market.
there have been a few other opportunities in all the doom and gloom. light weight (350lbs.) Mexicans have gotten very attractive at several border crossings, allowing a decent return to be secured.
that said, i assure the previous poster that fat cattle can very easily lose $500/head. virtually all our non-homeraised cattle are protected in one form or another, especially when we feed cattle. nonetheless, in our personal worst closeout, we had a set of steers that were bought way too high and fed way too average and sold at a very unfortunate time, this unprotected set of cattle lost $570/head. I framed a copy of that closeout and hung in our office, its good reminder of why we only speculate on a small percentage of our inventory.

js1234":lda63y5d said:
where we and a few other operators i know were over protected on sets of cattle ahead of filling up ranches, allowed the break-even cost of a total set that was used against the board when pricing put options to protect one's self to go down, making the positions more lucrative relative to the cost of the cattle.
this is a welcome boost to profits in a deteriorating market.
virtually all our non-homeraised cattle are protected in one form or another, especially when we feed cattle.

Futures prices do not look attractive to me. I assume traders are shorting this market.
Am I missing something, or is this just a poor time to be marketing?

I attended this sale yesterday and was in awe of the prices

12-3-16_zps3liu6uro.png

I was surprised that it was still as good as it was this week. We had some 4wts bring 2.19$ here yesterday, but they were perfect in every way, the majority of 4wts were around 2.00$. Same with 5wts, some really nice sets brought up into the low 1.90s, but most were in the 1.70s.

If I could get $1.57 for my 5 weight heifers I would sell them tomorrow. Sky how about you come haul them down to blackstone?

Toad":3gzjgbzj said:
If I could get $1.57 for my 5 weight heifers I would sell them tomorrow. Sky how about you come haul them down to blackstone?

Meet me in Lynchburg on Tuesday and I will haul them ;-)

i topped the market this week. one of my hiefers sold for 2.45 I was the top number for the sale.

also one of my steers made it within a dime of the top and all above avg. avg was 1.85

great day for us

the steers were between 350 and 500 and the heifer was 540

Sounds like a real good day for you db. What kind of heifer was she?

dieselbeef":2589lk18 said:
i topped the market this week. one of my hiefers sold for 2.45 I was the top number for the sale.

also one of my steers made it within a dime of the top and all above avg. avg was 1.85

great day for us

the steers were between 350 and 500 and the heifer was 540
Good to hear. Congratulations!

skyhightree1":1ayigird said:
Toad":1ayigird said:

Just come on up and bring the check for $1.56 per lb, you can keep the profit for your time and fuel. :lol2:

Toad":1l88cc2t said:
skyhightree1":1l88cc2t said:
Toad":1l88cc2t said:

Just come on up and bring the check for $1.56 per lb, you can keep the profit for your time and fuel. :lol2:

Such a great friend :shock:

I tell you what Sky, I will bring those heifers with me when I bring my cows down to put on all those ungrazed fields you have sitting around.

Toad":3gr9o11v said:
I tell you what Sky, I will bring those heifers with me when I bring my cows down to put on all those ungrazed fields you have sitting around.

that's better :lol2:

Latest posts