Price of Jersey or Guernsey calves at salebarn?

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the average price of a bottle jersey or guernsey calf is at the salebarn now? Both heifer and bull calves?

Seen two week old jersey bull calf sell for $35 saturday, Haven't seen a jersey heifer, bottle calf go through the sale in years. Have seen a few 400 lb heifers go through for $400 to $550 by the head.

Jersey bull calves will go for 35 to 60 dollars. Heifers will go from 85 to 200 dollars. All depends on how many are bidding on them.

Jersey baby calves will go from $50-100 depending on who's at the sale that day. Baby calves are hard to find around here. Contractors buy up all of the dairy calves right off the farm and ship them South for better prices.

Before it shut down you could get all the Jersey bull calves you wanted from Promised Land Dairy free. I had a neighbor that used get 12-15 of them every year.Z

You stated that Promise Land dairy went out of business. Do you know what the story is??? We still get milk here sold under the same name but doesn't seem to keep very well. Maybe this is the reason.

LibertyIIE":3p7ij1hb said:
You stated that Promise Land dairy went out of business. Do you know what the story is??? We still get milk here sold under the same name but doesn't seem to keep very well. Maybe this is the reason.

I've never heard the story but I drive passed the plant at Floresville a couple of times a month. Been weeds growing in the parking lot for a year/18 months.Z

vbd":2del3vts said:
At the sale here yesterday, jersey bull calves $10-$20, heifers $25-$50.

Van

That sounds pretty cheap for heifer calves unless they have a problem. Don't buyers pick them to ship north into the dairy states?

This is Holstein country...mainly. I am off work every other Friday and it has become part of my routine...go the the sale barn, have lunch, and watch the sale to see what the prices are doing. Right now EVERYTHING is way down.

Early in the year prices were unbelievable :shock: ! I saw some holstein heifers bring over $700...just days old! Last Friday, I saw a couple hit $400 and they were exceptional calves. Probably averaged $250-$300.

When Holstein prices are down, the folks that raise calves buy Holsteins and the Jerseys hit the bottom as no one really wants them. Jersey bull calves were $25 max...Jersey heifers struggled to hit the $50 mark. Crosses (Jersey/Holstein) did not do much better.

This is Erath County Texas...largest milk producing county in Tx and they run 200-400 babies through the sale barn 3 times a week. For a while contractors were buying and sending to California, but that seems to have dried up and the prices are reflecting the decline in contract buying.

Anyway...that's what I am seeing here... ;-)

Van

wieght was 61 lbs .. bid $30 .. went to the window with a $50 .. lady gave me the invoice .. $18.30 !!!!!!!!!!! put the $50 back in my jeans and used a $20 ... woo hooo .. got rope and put him in my honda civic truck . now he is smiling at the goats . ... perfect...

My husband, Van, watched a baby jersey heifer calf sell for $250 last Friday.

Alice

mcdowedd:

What wanting to do with them? If your wanting a good Jersey to feed out or start a dairy with you should check with the Smiths in the Wapakoneta area (since i see that your from Ohio), their Jerseys are alot bigger then the breed standard, I'm pretty sure that they are registered (since they are shown). If you are looking for some to show, i would not go with theirs since they are bigger then the breeds standard, the judges love them, but they won't place them.

Jersey bull calves were $25 max...Jersey heifers struggled to hit the $50 mark. Crosses (Jersey/Holstein) did not do much better.

Pardon my ignorance, because I'm new to everything, but why don't people want Jerseys?

pbnewbie":1j9ckmd7 said:
Jersey bull calves were $25 max...Jersey heifers struggled to hit the $50 mark. Crosses (Jersey/Holstein) did not do much better.

Pardon my ignorance, because I'm new to everything, but why don't people want Jerseys?
jersey bull calves are hard to raise.an they gain weigh slowly.an they they dont bring much pre ln or by the head.

Medic24":23sdd5rw said:
Jerseys do grow so slowly, and if you let them stay bulls, they tend to get rather testy, even more so then othe dairy breeds I think.

But, the meat from a jersey steer really is hard to beat.
Jersey meat you won't find at the supermarket. The fat is yellow, not white due to the higher beta-carotene's.
The meat is great, you just don't get near as much as from them as compared to a beef breed.
Jay

I'm in western part of Pa. I've paid $6.50- $13.50 for jersey bulls. I've paid $99.00 for jersey heifer calves.Guernsey calves 80# $0.50-$o.70 bulls.

went to sulphur springs last week, picked up 7 calves for next to nothing, some of the old men were giggeling, asking how does she kep em alive......i just smiled and winked.....one that i got for 2.00 did die, but i was purty sure it would, everyone else is bumping right along.

Latest posts