26 cent Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

Hair coat is rough besides being thin. Bessie came around much better than this one is. Did you worm her? You might want to take a manure sample to vet and get it checked for worms... and I hate to even suggest it but also have them check for Johne's.... she has some of the signs.
Not quite sure how I did that. But I made 2 sperate posts.

Forget the pour on and worm her

She doesn't look healthy. That said, she might come around with warmer weather. It's hard for thin dairy cows to gain weight in the winter without shelter. They use a lot of energy to stay warm.
Thanks guys!
I agree on this one Kenny.
I have to get her loaded up run thru the chute. However. She didn't get wormed/worked til about 2 weeks after I got this one.

Buck, it has been very cold since I got her. That thought had crossed my mind. They do have a wind block but not a proper shelter. I did increas feed to help combat that situation. I've also added a couple feeder calves and the others are gaining slowly.

I havnt had her quite as long as the Shorthorn.

Well I got the titty sucking steer caught finally. He's going to town!
See if my investment in him paid off. I expect he should bring twice what I gave for him pretty easy. He's now a steer, long time weaned, and much bigger. And now, Mabel will be left alone! I thought I had him broke from it. I was wrong.
20220309_180011.jpg
Mabel has an appointment with a good injectable wormer and I'll keep feeding and see what happens now that the lil turd ain't tugging on her. I don't think he was getting anything, but why would he continue if he wasn't huh?

Drove by a place down in southern Missouri last summer and saw a cedar tree trying to get over a fence
to get away from 3 cows that looked a lot like the one at Murray's water tank.
I was too late..........

I wish a few cedar trees would run away and get over my fences. I use feed dewormer and spike the sweet feed so everyone eats it twice a year. I keep looking at the metal sided barn that's going to collapse soon...is someone going to fix, re-beam/shore-up that one? Hate seeing a good useful barn go down...so many productive things can happen inside. Use your imagination.

TR> How is the footing (foundation) on the barn? If the foundation is OK and the support wall is not rotted at the base you may have
a salvageable building. The people who lived her previously milked cows and raised hogs. Apparently he got the idea to pave a section
of the barn yard between a hog shed and the barn. The shed set at a higher elevation. As a result when there was a hard rain the water
would carry the hog manure down and deposit against the barn. He solved the problem by cutting a hole in the barn and running the
drainage water down the milking parlor gutter. ingenious huh! Well there was more water and mud than gutter so the crap off the hog
yard ran into the barn and against the footing causing it to rot. He became infirm and finally had a stroke and the daughters wound up
with the place and I bought it from them. I was going to try and salvage the barn but my uncle who was also an engineer talked me out
of it. He pointed out the top was already settling in places and the rot had already affected a majority of the studs and wood siding.
There was also the matter I was going to knock the end out and store round bales. Access was going to take some serious grading.
His suggestion was to salvage as much as I could and use that for some other purpose.. It was built with yellow pine , hardly a knot,
After the foundation goes it is just a matter of time. Sort of like Alzheimer's? You live in a drier environment and thus your situation
would allow you to go ahead. LVR

@TexasRancher
@Lee VanRoss
I think he's speaking of my old old barn...
There's been no one to care for it since Uncle moved to the assisted living and passed on. Like so many other farms, there was no one to carry on that was interested in farming/cattle.
I married into the use of the place. It's been a slow slow process. My plan is to clear it eventually. The old chicken house is still standing too. It is possibly repairable. But it'll take a LOT. I'd like to get a few chooks eventually too. One thing at a time.
20220421_183902.jpg
That old thing is beyond repair. It needed to come down 20 years ago b4 I was ever involved. The bottoms are blowed out. Completely off the footings in most places. I don't know how it's still standing honestly. Most wood is rotten. I do store some squares in it. But every time I go in there I'm afraid it'll fall down around me!
U can see the tree on the off side. It's helping to hold it up.

Now here's a pic. I give up!
Shes open, grass is coming on, let em nurse!!
Bull will be here next month. I think Mabel is trying to tell me something....
Where's Big Sexy?
I want babies!!
20220421_175001.jpg

Same idea, Mine was a big hip roof built some time after 1890's as they did not use the old Jesus nails.
Say, if that well has live water the location might be a good place for a holding pen or even a feed lot.
or a Hacienda del Vaca if Title 42 is scrapped... think of the possibilities!

At one time, there was another larger barn this side of the windmill. To the right.
Used to be horses kept for work etc..
The old hand dug well still supplies water to the old farm house that the wife's son inhabits! It WILL go dry if, ehem, someone leaves the water on and goes away awhile. They had a habit of that for a time or 3

U should be able to make out the concrete stock tank this side of the windmill. Ain't held water in years or I'd be using it!

@MurraysMutts Yes, that's the barn....just walk a few step in (seriously) look up...if most of the roof timbers-joist are dry and solid....and it's only the wall to foundation pier supports that are giving way...which i know they are. Then it's salvageable to stand again. the roof is expensive side beams and quick piers (logs/pressure treated 1 to 2 foot long runners place on the ground, or entire 8 foot 4x4 on the ground as a pier) are inexpensive, no cement no shovel needed (jacking & supporting..slowly)...you got all the side tin too. This barn is just another case of poor footing and walls....the roofs last the longest. Your forefathers would be happy if you gave it another look...don't let a good roof and easy to fix wall beams steer you away. Hey, once you run that first angled 2x6 (on the inside) bracing and stabilizing two or more new wall beams....you'll see the dream. Hire someone. Make it 8' high to the roof edge...you don't need to go back to 10 or 12 foot entrance clearance. multiple 4"x4" beams...even cheap 3x4 landscaping timbers for the walls will work. The new wall cost should match the roof quality...and will get you down the road another 30 to 60 years....then knock it down. The fact it hasn't lost it's roof tin tells my the roof joist and runners are in great shape.

Latest posts