Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

Love Jerseys! Congrats on your success!

Same here with auction bidding - unless I am bidding to try to get a good price for a friend! :rolleyes: Then I end up with an extra animal, usually a ram. No problem though - excellent animals, match with my bloodlines, and I can't fault the price at minimum bid!

Maybe others see you are the bidder and know you recognize a good buy! ;)

@coachg

Named her Opal!

Big plans for this one.
Already trying to decide how many calves she will raise when the time comes!
I've got more babies coming from Big Richard. And if he proves calving ease as I think he will, she will be bred to him when the time comes.
Shes definitely gonna get attention daily. Want her gentle as a puppy. Halter broke. Lead broke. You know, all the stuff a family milk cow/nurse cow should be.
Basically spoiled the rottenest ever!
😂🤣😂🤣

How old yall think she is?
She weighs 255 lbs
Judging by horn growth I'm thinking weanling. 5 or 6 months?

I can tell already shes gonna be picky. She daintily eats grain from the pan. Gotta take the hay out of the trough, and put it on the ground first, THEN we can eat it. Lmao!
View attachment 6996
😂😂😂 got yourself a bougie heifer if she keeps that up. Next, she'll only eat certain treats and spit out the others, while only eating the finest leaves around🌾🐂🍃🐄🍃🌾

Today at the salebarn there was about half a dozen jersey heifers weighing between 250 and 350 lbs. They sold as singles and brought between $25 and $50 per head. Another heifer that looked like she was probably half jersey, half red angus only brought .50 cents/lb weighing 535, but she was thicker made and pretty beefy.

Today at the salebarn there was about half a dozen jersey heifers weighing between 250 and 350 lbs. They sold as singles and brought between $25 and $50 per head. Another heifer that looked like she was probably half jersey, half red angus only brought .50 cents/lb weighing 535, but she was thicker made and pretty beefy.
Amazing!
I fully expected this heifer to bring 100 bucks or less. Bottle calves are in high demand round here too

Last edited:
How does one DNA test or whatever to determine if this heifer is a free martin?

Last time I asked a vet, the response was try n breed her... (different animal years ago)

Dont wanna waste time on one that wont breed.

How does one DNA test or whatever to determine if this heifer is a free martin?

Last time I asked a vet, the response was try n breed her... (different animal years ago)

Dont wanna waste time on one that wont breed.
Blood test that you send to the lab. Here is one place. Google it to find others.

as was stated above blood test , look for labs that do freemartin testing , as they carry a Y chromosome , other option is around a year have them palped for breeding soundness , at her age she should be having heats , as my 3 1/2 month old high percentage heifer is already having signs of heats , I did have 1 checked at about 400lbs that I bought , as I did not see any heats in the 2 months I had her , and turned out she was 2 months bred , so vet aborted her , AIed her with sexed Jersey at 650 to 700lbs and she is due with her 1st calf in November
Suzanne