Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

All is well!
Just heavy bred and she's apparently a drama queen!!!
She wasnt due for vax or anything else so just a friendly lil feel her up I guess.
840lbs.
She don't look that big...
She was ready for a drink. Still not terrible interested in food. She's become a nibbler.
I guess I'll keep her penned just because she seems to wanna be there anyway. If there's an issue, it'll be easier anyway.
20230524_175146.jpg

Second opinion today.
Still acting weird.
High fever. Pretty hot he said.
My vet palp'd and gave her good antibiotics. Pneumonia...
Agreed heifer is heavy bred and not a twisted uterus.
Slightly worried. Says it's a large calf. I know the breeding date. She's due now!!
Still not a large bag. But some.
Not terrible springy either. I know they can go a couple weeks either way.

I told him she will penned until she calves! I can help her no worries there.

Much relief!
Perhaps I can sleep tonight !

Second opinion today.
Still acting weird.
High fever. Pretty hot he said.
My vet palp'd and gave her good antibiotics. Pneumonia...
Agreed heifer is heavy bred and not a twisted uterus.
Slightly worried. Says it's a large calf. I know the breeding date. She's due now!!
Still not a large bag. But some.
Not terrible springy either. I know they can go a couple weeks either way.

I told him she will penned until she calves! I can help her no worries there.

Much relief!
Perhaps I can sleep tonight !
Thank you for the update. Hope she makes a speedy recovery. Glad you had her checked.

I may have to get her back over there. She likes to camp out in the trailer. She is eating some hay and drinking plenty of water. I don't know if she's still down or just being a drama queen. 🤔

Edit to add...
Just did a late evening check. She don't feel hot. Drank some more water. I'm not feeding squares so it's hard to see how much hay she's actually eating. I'm holding off on grain because I don't want to help that baby grow any bigger than necessary. And her poop. Omg. It's so hard. Not like rocks. But not like everyone out in grass for sure.

So odd how sometimes she's just the sweetest lil thing. Just stood there and wanted me to scratch her head and under her chin down her neck. Favorite spots. She loves scratches under her neck.

Last edited:
The hard manure is also from the fever... not eating and drinking enough because she didn't feel good... not enough liquid going through her when they don't feel good... she might have seemed like she was drinking, but it was more likely small "sips" rather really a good long drink. Of course, being off the grass will add to it.... And the loving is because she associates you with making her feel a little better...

@coachg

Named her Opal!

Big plans for this one.
Already trying to decide how many calves she will raise when the time comes!
I've got more babies coming from Big Richard. And if he proves calving ease as I think he will, she will be bred to him when the time comes.
Shes definitely gonna get attention daily. Want her gentle as a puppy. Halter broke. Lead broke. You know, all the stuff a family milk cow/nurse cow should be.
Basically spoiled the rottenest ever!
😂🤣😂🤣

How old yall think she is?
She weighs 255 lbs
Judging by horn growth I'm thinking weanling. 5 or 6 months?
I would say she is closer to 9 to 10 months. Looks in good condition. You are a very long time away from deciding how many calves she CAN raise. First off, hope she is breedable as you got her from an auction and she may be a free martin. Once she calves, you need to see how much she is able to produce. first lactation will be lower than subsequent lactations. Then, will take extra calves? We us ours to graft extra calves. One of ours was a small jersey and she raised 2 nice calves for 6 months, then one calf for 4 months. Another jersey was a much higher producer. She raised 4 heifers 4 months then a high charolais calf for 6 months. It is much better to get 2 fat ass calves then 3 runts so do not over stress her with too many calves. If they do not have enough milk for the calves, the babies will tear up her udder trying to get enough milk. Also, be prepared to give her plenty of extra feed when she has extra calves as that much lactating in very calorie intensive. Also, be prepared as every calving for the chance at milk fever so have calcium on hand. We have found giving CMPK boluses at calving and 12 hours later really helps, Good Luck.

I would say she is closer to 9 to 10 months. Looks in good condition. You are a very long time away from deciding how many calves she CAN raise. First off, hope she is breedable as you got her from an auction and she may be a free martin. Once she calves, you need to see how much she is able to produce. first lactation will be lower than subsequent lactations. Then, will take extra calves? We us ours to graft extra calves. One of ours was a small jersey and she raised 2 nice calves for 6 months, then one calf for 4 months. Another jersey was a much higher producer. She raised 4 heifers 4 months then a high charolais calf for 6 months. It is much better to get 2 fat ass calves then 3 runts so do not over stress her with too many calves. If they do not have enough milk for the calves, the babies will tear up her udder trying to get enough milk. Also, be prepared to give her plenty of extra feed when she has extra calves as that much lactating in very calorie intensive. Also, be prepared as every calving for the chance at milk fever so have calcium on hand. We have found giving CMPK boluses at calving and 12 hours later really helps, Good Luck.
Hey gal! How ya been?

That post you quoted was a while back. She's bred and coming with her first calf now. I've got her penned up and keeping close watch on her. I'm with you, I think she will only get one extra calf this first time. If her condition holds I may try a 3rd calf after I pull the first two.

Always always always feeding my nurse cows. Except Bessie. She stays in good shape raising 3 on grass alone. Wish I could find another like her. She's part beef.

Very good info. Thank you!!
Where does one get cmpk boluses?
I've seen it in the tubes and tried it a while back on one that was having trouble. She had to go unfortunately.

Murray, do u have any history on opals genetics? She looks good but maybe has a swiss in her background somewhere
No history at all unfortunately. Your not the first person who's said that either. Her froze off left ear makes her a bit special too.

Shes really getting her jersey type body here recently. If she don't start making a bag, I'm gonna pretty much start freaking out. I'll go get a pic or two in a bit. Those hips of hers are becoming quite prominent!

When I had my kids at home (all 6 in their 60's now) I had a jersey milk cow, gave me a fit getting her re-bred, in heat all the time. Fast forward 20yrs I bought a brown swiss that was due in 2 months...they told me. 2 weeks later she calved a bull calf. What a great milk cow she was, gentle as a kitten gave lotsa mild a heavy pale yellow cream. Kids loved that old cow. I AI'd her myself w/Simmental and raised nice bull. Keep us posted on yours!!

The whole thing stinks like yesterday's garbage!
I knew we should've got that calf out of her last Thursday. I'm still of the opinion there was no pneumonia. She was hot because she was in labor for 2 days!! I'm not a vet but I knew this heifer very well. The symptoms are on last Thursdays post.

The calf died inside her.
She was down last night. Vet was at a ball game in the lightning/pouring down rain.... mhmm.

Idk where buck went, but his diagnosis was right on in my opinion!!! Whether it was uterine torsion or small pelvic or whatever, the calf was trapped.

Neither animal made it.

The whole thing stinks like yesterday's garbage!
I knew we should've got that calf out of her last Thursday. I'm still of the opinion there was no pneumonia. She was hot because she was in labor for 2 days!! I'm not a vet but I knew this heifer very well. The symptoms are on last Thursdays post.

The calf died inside her.
She was down last night. Vet was at a ball game in the lightning/pouring down rain.... mhmm.

Idk where buck went, but his diagnosis was right on in my opinion!!! Whether it was uterine torsion or small pelvic or whatever, the calf was trapped.

Neither animal made it.
Damn!

I'm sorry to hear that. It always sucks to lose one, especially one you really like and you've put so much time and work into. I had enjoyed status updates on her in this thread. You gave her a good life the time you had her. You certainly did all a person could do to try to help her the last few days having the vet check her and monitoring her. Hoping for better days ahead for you and the critters, and look forward to reading about your next projects you bring in.

Latest posts