Price of Jersey or Guernsey calves at salebarn?

Help Support CattleToday:

those old boys at the sulphur spring sale will give you fitts.hope you have good luck with the calves.most $2 calves will die after you get emm home.

thanks, so far so good, my husband asked what i wanted to do for my birthday, so i said lets run over to sulphur springs and check it out, and of course we came home NOT empty handed , i like bottle feeding, grow em up some and take em to the farm, then let em grow some more. i dont like to loose any, but i expected to loose the one, but for 89.00 for all of em. i was happy.

well if you loose.all itll be is $89 an your time an what feed an milk you put into them.an you could make some money on them.

this is our 2nd year getting into the cattle biz.

First year we just did 1 Holstein for our own beef.
this year we wanted to just do bottle calves then sell them at like 500-600 lbs.. and i can see how you can make a profit off from them. But we havent sold them yet so i cant answer your question..but i forsee a profit from it. after expenses.

If i had to do it all over again, i would of bought the 30-40$ holsteins, instead of the 8-15$ jerseys, because of the growth rate..

We had bought 2 Holsteins at 65lb each.. and we bought 3 other Jerseys at 140lbs each.. and 4Months from then, the Holsteins have already passed them.

Mudge":3m1r69ir said:
this is our 2nd year getting into the cattle biz.

First year we just did 1 Holstein for our own beef.
this year we wanted to just do bottle calves then sell them at like 500-600 lbs.. and i can see how you can make a profit off from them. But we havent sold them yet so i cant answer your question..but i forsee a profit from it. after expenses.

If i had to do it all over again, i would of bought the 30-40$ holsteins, instead of the 8-15$ jerseys, because of the growth rate..

We had bought 2 Holsteins at 65lb each.. and we bought 3 other Jerseys at 140lbs each.. and 4Months from then, the Holsteins have already passed them.

Yea, I can see where the holsteins would do better. Ive raised calves before and Im thinking of doing about 15 more in the next few months. Ill tell what the best road to take is. We bought a few jersey milkers and we let them raise beef steers for us. The calves turn out to be better than the bottle babies and a lot less work. Looks like Im gooing to doing both this year....

We have bought 2 bull calves for less than $10 each. We have jersey cow's that we raise holsteins on and we have done allright with them. 500-700lbs is going for 95 per hundred around here.

Latest posts