Nurse cow or not. Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Thought I would do an update: We are still pouring the feed due to the lack of pasture but everyone is doing well. Sure will be glad when this fire nightmare is over and we have pasture back.
Weighed the calves tonight since I had to get a weight on a new beef calf anyways and the holstein steer is now 320#'s and the jersey/angus heifer is 314#'s at 3 1/2 months old. Not bad all things considered. Our cow is maintaining ok still. We are still getting 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a milking (1 time weekly) with 12 hours separation while leaving a bit for the calves so her production is declining. Dehorning on both calves was completely successful. The calves are using the creep feeder and eating plenty of hay. The plan as of this moment is to leave them both on another month or so then wean the steer and turn him out with our beef steers then wean the heifer when our cow is due to dry up pre calving. My hope is that will slow production by weaning one of the two calves then when we take the remaining calf off she will dry up easily. Of course the heifer may take up for both.... Anyone have an opinion on this theory?
Sounds like a great plan!
The remaining amount heifer will probly still take all mamas got, being as big as she is.

Personally..........
Id wean em both now and just feed em a bit. And put a new baby on her for a couple months! That new baby will be money in the bank

Sounds like a great plan!
The remaining amount heifer will probly still take all mamas got, being as big as she is.

Personally..........
Id wean em both now and just feed em a bit. And put a new baby on her for a couple months! That new baby will be money in the bank
We really discussed this last night but she's due to dry up end of December. Don't think there's really enough time for another go at this point.

Young cow like that, no, I would not try putting a new calf on her. She has done her job well, and with only 2 months, she does not need to start a new calf and then you will leave it on her for just an extra week.... or 2 .....and the cow will get short changed on her dry period. With the stress of the fire and no grass, she has done good for you. Wean off the extra and then wean off hers 4 weeks later... she will slow down milk and then will hopefully put on a little more condition and be in good form to calve again...

We really discussed this last night but she's due to dry up end of December. Don't think there's really enough time for another go at this point.
I liked what @farmerjan said too!

Altho.....
A 50 dollar calf will turn into a 350 dollar calf in 2 months. 😆

Your not gonna believe it, but I passed on a red heifer Thursday. I'm in same boat as you. Bessie gets dried up come end of December. I sure enough could've done it. And I KNOW Bessie would have. But I didn't!!

Young cow like that, no, I would not try putting a new calf on her. She has done her job well, and with only 2 months, she does not need to start a new calf and then you will leave it on her for just an extra week.... or 2 .....and the cow will get short changed on her dry period. With the stress of the fire and no grass, she has done good for you. Wean off the extra and then wean off hers 4 weeks later... she will slow down milk and then will hopefully put on a little more condition and be in good form to calve again...
That was kind of my thinking also. This is her first lactation. I've already pushed it enough. Had the fire happened just 2ish weeks prior I certainly wouldn't have done the graft or at least not two. She has done incredible for us and we certainly feel very Blessed to have her. She has turned into a dream cow. So different from beef cows. 😂 Thanks for the advice. I think that's what we will do. Good to know her milk will slow. When y'all dry up your nurse cows do you do anything special? Normally when we wean beef cows they just dry up on their own. Dairy cow books and a dairy cow forum make a big deal on doing a whole bunch of stuff.

I liked what @farmerjan said too!

Altho.....
A 50 dollar calf will turn into a 350 dollar calf in 2 months. 😆

Your not gonna believe it, but I passed on a red heifer Thursday. I'm in same boat as you. Bessie gets dried up come end of December. I sure enough could've done it. And I KNOW Bessie would have. But I didn't!!
Bessie is truly a gem. I don't even know her and I think she's a diamond. I would have a hard time turning that calf down also honestly. 😂

My thoughts since I am not there to actually see her... with the having to feed due to the fire and loss of pasture, cut her grain to just a miniscule amount when you pull the other calf.... feed her just enough so she stays friendly and coming to you... and make sure the other calf can get in for creep so it does not go backwards. Her milk will slow down and then when you pull the other calf, don't feed any grain at all... She should dry up without a big deal since she is not getting any supplemental feed, just hay. You might want to milk her once a day for a few days after pulling her calf, IF, she looks especially full, to take off the pressure.... but 99% of the time we just stop milking and by 48 hours the hormones that kick in to produce milk, stop since there is no stimulation to make the milk.

The only benefit to your loss of pasture is she should dry up easier with no nice green grass to "help with production"...

Some of my dairy farmers that have cows needing to go dry and that are still producing alot of milk, will put the cow in a separate lot and feed only hay and water for a week or 2, then milk them out to make sure there is no mastitis and then dry treat. That said, I have a couple farmers that still do not dry treat, and I have never dry treated my own family/nurse cows...... well, except one that was a chronic mastitis problem and I did dry treat her after the 2nd lactation and it seemed to do the trick as she never showed any clinical signs of "junk" in her milk after that. I didn't milk her for the house at all either... and the constant nursing by the calves seemed to take care of it... The dry treating has benefits for commercial farms with a high concentration of cattle in smaller areas but most people with their small family cow operations do not treat.

Also do not feed her your "best hay"... feed her just some average hay so that there is no extra "nutrition" in it to encourage her system. Whatever hay you are feeding your dry beef cows is fine... she will be in a "holding/resting" pattern just like them... you do not want her to be gaining too much weight or getting fat, but you want her to maintain her condition and maybe gain a little....rounding out and then when she comes fresh, you will start feeding her more and better so she can feed a few calves and make milk for you too.

We won't have any nutritional pasture till she's due if at that depending on weather. So she will be on hay until then. I will GLADLY cut her grain when weaning the first calf. Makes sense on the hay. I will check on the hay tests again but I think she could stay on the same forage mix and just drop the alfalfa pellets would make it work out for dry season. The alfalfa pellets were to counter the lack of high nutrition hay we had. That is something I will look into between now and then. Thankfully where we get hay they always test all the hay so I can compare easily.
I am glad to hear how you both do this. That seems like a great plan. Far less stressful than I have read before. She has no issues with mastitis thankfully so hopefully we can just go for it. The two calves will continue to have access to the creep feeder all along so they don't loose condition. I think I may keep the heifer (holstein/Angus) as a future nurse cow. I think they are like potato chips......... We already have the 2 jerseys now and another jersey heifer on the way......... oh dear 😂 My spouse is going to have me committed. 😂

Sold the holstein steer off the our nurse cow today. First time I have ever done that. Always have long weaned calves. He weighed 395 on the scale at 4 months old. $1.42 a pound. He was perfect size for a buyer we know who had an order for that size. Will keep that in mind in the future. Not sure I can say we made money but that's only because of the fire/feed issues that arose after grafting. We figure we broke even at the least. Plus it kept our cow in milk and allowed us to go on vacation. I have started cutting our cows grain back. Really looking forward to that coming to an end. She still has the holstein/Angus heifer on her till the end of the month. Haven't decided her fate yet. I was ready to ship her then she started to settle down and not be so stubborn. However she now has slightly loud breathing. She never showed signs of pneumonia but did have a slight dry cough randomly that was treated a few months ago. We have been hearing about a silent pneumonia going around. Must have been what she had. Odd since we handle her daily. You'd think we would have caught it before "damage". Due to that issue I don't think I should sell her as a home dairy/nurse cow. Not sure if I'll keep her for grafting calves on or not. Decisions. Decisions.
Thanks again for all the advice. It truly helped and made a huge difference for us and our cow.

Love this thread!

Now ya gotta find ya another one that calves at a different time so you can stay at it year round!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

🤪🤪🤪🤪
You are an enabler sir! I like it! :ROFLMAO:
I think the plan is to have another graft calf in waiting when this cow calves in march then she can have 2. I'll be breeding her daughter next year so I should have 2 on rotation. When one is about 1/2 way through lactation I'll have another freshening. Keep extra calves on so I don't have to make as much cheese year round. We are drowning in cheese and butter but to have good cream year round would be awesome. I can also run 2 batches of calves on each cow a year. And then there is the holstein/angus I am about to wean off the cow at the end of the month.

Latest posts