The latest Bird>Cow>Human flu

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
I guess people have heard about this. The H5N1 Bird flu from last year that caused massive depopulation of poultry farms all over the world is still around. Now it's spread to dairy herds first in the Texas panhandle, then New Mexico, Kansas, Minnesota, and Idaho. The infected cows are 10% -20% of affected milking herds and only affects middle age lactating cows. They have fever, milk production drops, milk becomes thickened like colostrum, and reduced rumen activity. Sickness peaks at 5 days, they recover in 2 or 3 weeks. None have died.

At a Minnesota farm they had to depopulate the ducks and chickens because of an H5N1 outbreak and their goats were lose in the same pens. 10 baby goats died because it had jumped to mammals. Well, now it has spread to another mammal, a dairy worker in Texas. His only symptom so far was conjunctivitis (red eyes) and they quickly gave him Tamiflu shots and put him in isolation. The raw milk crazies are now up in arms because the USDA and CDC says the US milk supply is safe because commercial milk is pasteurized and pasteurization kills germs and viruses.

I'll tell you what, in December of 2008 in Texas I caught the Swine flu that came out of Mexico before they even knew what it was. I was alone at my cabin in the piney woods. I felt so bad and weak I could not even turn over in bed. I couldn't get my phone and call 911. Caught it probably from Mexican hog farm workers at Brackenridge hospital in Austin.

Latest posts