Nurse cow or not. Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Thought I would start my own thread instead of taking up @MurraysMutts awesome threads with questions.
We are at a week now of trying to graft 2 new calves on our jersey cow. We are weaning her first calf who had already started to self wean. We want these two new calves to keep her in milk for a while longer till she's due to dry up. The calves are getting stronger every day and starting to pester the cow in between "meal". We had an overeating issue with the calves but that is cleared up now with better feeding "times" on my part. Unfortunately she tolerates them nursing when she's being grained (most of the time) but still a week later no other time. She does let down for them though. She randomly walks up to the calves and sniffs them and I've caught her start to lick their heads but then stops immediately. She sleeps around them although it's hard to know if it's just because they are sleeping in her normal sleeping spot or not. I don't see her sleeping near them when they aren't in her normal spot. Up until today we had her calf separated by a panel and had her calf clean up the majority of the remaining milk after the graft calves nursed then immediately separated her again. The cow has been staying with the graft calves full time the last few days. Unfortunately due to a heatwave and lack of shade some of the day we had to put the calves in a different area for shade during the heat of the day then move them back with the cow. She seemed to call to them when they were separated and stopped calling once they returned but she's not being very nice to them when they get near her. Not chasing them down or anything just pushing them around or kicking at them if they try to get near her udder. Being we are a week into this (7 days down) am I fighting a loosing battle with her? I put her calf out to pasture tonight to completely separate them. I am hoping maybe that will change her mind about the new calves. By now all the beef calves I have grafted over the years were grafted. This is my first time with a dairy cow and one that hadn't just calved. It is not to late to bring her calf back in if that is thought to be the best way to continue.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:
@Double R Ranch
I'd seperate the cow and 2 new calves 24 hrs. By that time mamas udder will start to want some relief. And those two calves will know what to do.
The 2 calves should be smelling like mama by now. Mama just ain't quite figured it out yet.
I wouldn't feed her this one time when turning the calves on her after their separation. See what they do when ya turn em on to the cow. There may be a bit of a dance. May not. Give em 15 or 20 minutes and watch. Be best to feed AFTER they've nursed her down and she's been cooperative.

If that fails, I'd feed her and let the calves nurse.

Eleanor is just like you've described. She's no where near as easy as Bessie. But about 2 weeks in, she's ok. It helps if the calves are aggressive and healthy nursers.

I have never heard of grafting one by separation.
I have controlled interaction, but the remained penned together away from the other cattle.
They are penned together. Her older calf is separated. The one that's being weaned. The graft calves were only separated for the heat wave during the hours the pen didn't have adequate shade. They were with her the rest of the day/night.

@Double R Ranch
I'd seperate the cow and 2 new calves 24 hrs. By that time mamas udder will start to want some relief. And those two calves will know what to do.
The 2 calves should be smelling like mama by now. Mama just ain't quite figured it out yet.
I wouldn't feed her this one time when turning the calves on her after their separation. See what they do when ya turn em on to the cow. There may be a bit of a dance. May not. Give em 15 or 20 minutes and watch. Be best to feed AFTER they've nursed her down and she's been cooperative.

If that fails, I'd feed her and let the calves nurse.

Eleanor is just like you've described. She's no where near as easy as Bessie. But about 2 weeks in, she's ok. It helps if the calves are aggressive and healthy nursers.
That's great to hear actually. We will try that next. As of this morning she seems content her older calf is "gone" even with her off hollering in the distance. She kicked at the calves when they tried to nurse prior to me getting into the corral to feed her but stood content eating her grain while they nursed. If she swings to sniff them she sniffs and is content to go back to her grain so I'm sure they smell like her now. As soon as she was done with her grain she was back to kicking at them. They are getting wise to it and dodge the kicks well now.
Relieved to hear it takes this sort of time with Eleanor just because it give me hope we still have a chance. She's such a great nurse cow. Of course wish it was quicker for you/her and us but if it takes an extra bit of time for the long haul being successful it's worth it.
Thanks

That's great to hear actually. We will try that next. As of this morning she seems content her older calf is "gone" even with her off hollering in the distance. She kicked at the calves when they tried to nurse prior to me getting into the corral to feed her but stood content eating her grain while they nursed. If she swings to sniff them she sniffs and is content to go back to her grain so I'm sure they smell like her now. As soon as she was done with her grain she was back to kicking at them. They are getting wise to it and dodge the kicks well now.
Relieved to hear it takes this sort of time with Eleanor just because it give me hope we still have a chance. She's such a great nurse cow. Of course wish it was quicker for you/her and us but if it takes an extra bit of time for the long haul being successful it's worth it.
Thanks
I bet she came from a dairy huh?
Them cows are used to being milked while eating. Just old hat to them!

During the cold months I feed twice a day, so it's no big deal. Eleanor eats and the calves eat twice a day while they get it together. 😆
Can't remember off the top of my head, but Bessie is the only one that'll take any calf any time. I pen her mainly so THAT calf gets acquainted and knows thats it's new mama. Usually a week or so with her.
Eleanor and The other one I had before her both took a couple weeks before they quit being kicky.

O! If ya wanna speed it up.....
The cow is penned right? Hobble her. She can't kick. And it'll slow her down if she's shoving them with her head. The calves suddenly become so much faster than a hobbled cow! 😆

I prefer not to hobble

I think it was @farmerjan who had a "kicking wench"
🤣 I don't recall what she ever did with her...

Last edited:
For many cows it is at least a 2 week adjustment to "new calves" when you are trying to graft ones on them for a "second go round". And I do let the older calves back in with them for at least one milking a day for most of that 2 weeks. Every cow is different.

Any one that does not accept more calves has 2 options.... they get milked once a day at least and I have bottle fed calves although, yes, that does defeat the purpose. Or they will get dried up if at least 5 months or more bred.... next calf gets put with the cow twice a day and separated the rest with new calves in with that calf... to try that and may only raise one group of 3 or 4 calves for the lactation. 2 calves pays for the cows feed, the third is a replacement or beef for the freezer, the 4th is pure profit most of the time.
Other option is BYE BYE...
Some just do not make good nurse cows....

For many cows it is at least a 2 week adjustment to "new calves" when you are trying to graft ones on them for a "second go round". And I do let the older calves back in with them for at least one milking a day for most of that 2 weeks. Every cow is different.

Any one that does not accept more calves has 2 options.... they get milked once a day at least and I have bottle fed calves although, yes, that does defeat the purpose. Or they will get dried up if at least 5 months or more bred.... next calf gets put with the cow twice a day and separated the rest with new calves in with that calf... to try that and may only raise one group of 3 or 4 calves for the lactation. 2 calves pays for the cows feed, the third is a replacement or beef for the freezer, the 4th is pure profit most of the time.
I found your post about cow I was talking about. It was in Brandy's thread.
Wasn't a kicker. She was a gate jumper!
🤣

I bet she came from a dairy huh?
Them cows are used to being milked while eating. Just old hat to them!

During the cold months I feed twice a day, so it's no big deal. Eleanor eats and the calves eat twice a day while they get it together. 😆
Can't remember off the top of my head, but Bessie is the only one that'll take any calf any time. I pen her mainly so THAT calf gets acquainted and knows thats it's new mama. Usually a week or so with her.
Eleanor and The other one I had before her both took a couple weeks before they quit being kicky.

O! If ya wanna speed it up.....
The cow is penned right? Hobble her. She can't kick. And it'll slow her down if she's shoving them with her head. The calves suddenly become so much faster than a hobbled cow! 😆

I prefer not to hobble

I think it was @farmerjan who had a "kicking wench"
🤣 I don't recall what she ever did with her...
Actually no. She was shown as a heifer by twin girls for 4H. I bought her just days before she calved her first calf. Have been milking her (calf share) ever since. I don't feed/grain her till after milking. I only have been graining her for this because I am not milking her 2x daily as her calf was keeping up well. So she's just been getting her normal feedings.
While I don't wish it took so long for Eleanor and apparently ours I am quite relieved that it's not "over" for this. I feel like every day it gets a little better but I never know if it's just wishful thinking because it's such minor improvements it seems. 😂 I really need this to work out. She's been pretty much a dream to date considering this is her first time with everything from calving to milking to now grafting.
I thought about hobbles but I am trying to be patient. Compared to beef cows she's not bad at the kicking, head butting and trampling. She's a pretty mellow gal. Effort is hard to come by for her. 😂 Part of why her taking this long is so surprising.😂
Kicking wench! I think I missed a story! 😂

We were discussing options if this doesn't take. We feel the same way. It's good to know you can dry up 5 months or more bred. When we will be needing her with calves that keep up or dried up would be at 6 months bred. We won't have a relief milker so we will need to either dry her up or have calves that keep up. I can milk daily until then to feed these calves if necessary. It's stressed no longer than 2 months dry in most books/online groups. Although I have found a lot of the information in these area's aren't necessarily life or death accurate as it's led to believe. It would be great if she could at least pay for her feed by raising a few extra calves. Thank you very much for all the advice. Very glad I started this thread. We'll keep at it!

Actually no. She was shown as a heifer by twin girls for 4H. I bought her just days before she calved her first calf. Have been milking her (calf share) ever since. I don't feed/grain her till after milking. I only have been graining her for this because I am not milking her 2x daily as her calf was keeping up well. So she's just been getting her normal feedings.
While I don't wish it took so long for Eleanor and apparently ours I am quite relieved that it's not "over" for this. I feel like every day it gets a little better but I never know if it's just wishful thinking because it's such minor improvements it seems. 😂 I really need this to work out. She's been pretty much a dream to date considering this is her first time with everything from calving to milking to now grafting.
I thought about hobbles but I am trying to be patient. Compared to beef cows she's not bad at the kicking, head butting and trampling. She's a pretty mellow gal. Effort is hard to come by for her. 😂 Part of why her taking this long is so surprising.😂
Kicking wench! I think I missed a story! 😂
Her being a heifer it's ALL new to her. You get her straight this time and she will be GOLDEN next go 'round!

That being said....
Seven, my bottle baby I raised, would let ANYONE nurse that had a mind to from the get go! My plan was to try her with an extra calf or possibly milk/calf share with her. I went out for a pasture walk one time and Lil 'Nuf had already started in on her!
That's when I penned her and stuck another calf on her. She only raised the 2nd a lil while before I decided she just couldn't handle it being a heifer. But I found out when I turned her out, she was not only feeding her 2 but Lil 'Nuf would sneak in there as well! I think she could've handled the 2. But 3 really drew her down and it cost me. She lost condition and didn't breed back on time. And no. I didn't sell her. She is my baby. She bred right up this June. I may try a 2nd when she calves this spring. I think she can do it as a cow. We will see.

Some cows just come by it naturally. Some have to take a little convincing.

Edited to add..
Seven is NOT. A milk cow. Her mama was Bertha. A great big 1500lb simangus. Her father was a percentage chianina bull. Her mother did make a great amount of milk. And would let another nurse if she had her own calf too. But she was downright mean if ya tried to put a calf on her without her own calf.

Her being a heifer it's ALL new to her. You get her straight this time and she will be GOLDEN next go 'round!

That being said....
Seven, my bottle baby I raised, would let ANYONE nurse that had a mind to from the get go! My plan was to try her with an extra calf or possibly milk/calf share with her. I went out for a pasture walk one time and Lil 'Nuf had already started in on her!
That's when I penned her and stuck another calf on her. She only raised the 2nd a lil while before I decided she just couldn't handle it being a heifer. But I found out when I turned her out, she was not only feeding her 2 but Lil 'Nuf would sneak in there as well! I think she could've handled the 2. But 3 really drew her down and it cost me. She lost condition and didn't breed back on time. And no. I didn't sell her. She is my baby. She bred right up this June. I may try a 2nd when she calves this spring. I think she can do it as a cow. We will see.

Some cows just come by it naturally. Some have to take a little convincing.

Edited to add..
Seven is NOT. A milk cow. Her mama was Bertha. A great big 1500lb simangus. Her father was a percentage chianina bull. Her mother did make a great amount of milk. And would let another nurse if she had her own calf too. But she was downright mean if ya tried to put a calf on her without her own calf.
Her being a heifer is part of why we are wanting to try this originally. Became more of a necessity as time has gone on. Make things all normal right off the bat has been our goal with her. It's been a learning curve for us too. Only milked a beef cow before and the milk wasn't the greatest. Definitely wouldn't have attempted this with the beef cow post calving time.
Sounds like Seven is a cow to have! Hope she gives you a heifer this year! Definitely let us know how it goes and if you add another calf.
Our cow came a bit "lean" so we have been trying to be careful with how much draw we put on her. We are putting two on her for now to keep up since her calf is large and drawing a lot. We plan to wean the steer calf younger and keep the heifer on her till we dry her up. Depending on how she's doing. We will be coming into green grass by then so it should work out ok.

Update: Her first calf is weaned and out on pasture with no issues. She was used to being separated for milking days so it wasn't a big deal for either of them.
The heifer has been nursing well and all overeating diarrhea has been handled and no longer seems to be an issue. Thank you VERY MUCH to @farmerjan for the Imodium pill advice. The pills were easier to acquire and far cheaper than the liquid that our dairy friend gets/uses. Will probably pass the pill info along to her too. The bull calf (now steer) started "relying" on water vs nursing. Started not wanting to nurse. Got diarrhea. Why oh why does it seem like dairy calves try so hard to kill themselves?! Took our standard trough away as soon as I figured out that was what was going on. Gave him Imodium and electrolytes. He was slightly dehydrated already. By morning he no longer had diarrhea and was bouncing around a bit. By evening he was racing around the corral with the heifer. He was constantly going to the trough and trying to figure out how to unsuccessfully drink. He is now nursing well. She still wouldn't allow them to nurse except at feeding time. I decided to try and encourage her to lick them. A few things I tried she didn't have interest in. Had an old bottle of calf claim powder and that got her going with the heifer. Next night repeated and she cleaned her even more. That night the calves were running around the corral playing together. Suddenly she was alert and watching them play. It got the best of her. She started running and bucking with them. Kind of obscene honestly. Udders gone wild. She cleans the heifer regularly now and as of the morning after playing with them she now lets her nurse on their own. The steer calf she still doesn't like. He's only able to nurse at feeding still. He isn't the thriftiest calf and I think that isn't helping. He refused to use what brain he has and stay in the shade during the day. So all in all we are on the right track. I hope she will still accept the steer and he will get brave and start trying to nurse without our guidance.
Thanks again for all the advice!

Update: Her first calf is weaned and out on pasture with no issues. She was used to being separated for milking days so it wasn't a big deal for either of them.
The heifer has been nursing well and all overeating diarrhea has been handled and no longer seems to be an issue. Thank you VERY MUCH to @farmerjan for the Imodium pill advice. The pills were easier to acquire and far cheaper than the liquid that our dairy friend gets/uses. Will probably pass the pill info along to her too. The bull calf (now steer) started "relying" on water vs nursing. Started not wanting to nurse. Got diarrhea. Why oh why does it seem like dairy calves try so hard to kill themselves?! Took our standard trough away as soon as I figured out that was what was going on. Gave him Imodium and electrolytes. He was slightly dehydrated already. By morning he no longer had diarrhea and was bouncing around a bit. By evening he was racing around the corral with the heifer. He was constantly going to the trough and trying to figure out how to unsuccessfully drink. He is now nursing well. She still wouldn't allow them to nurse except at feeding time. I decided to try and encourage her to lick them. A few things I tried she didn't have interest in. Had an old bottle of calf claim powder and that got her going with the heifer. Next night repeated and she cleaned her even more. That night the calves were running around the corral playing together. Suddenly she was alert and watching them play. It got the best of her. She started running and bucking with them. Kind of obscene honestly. Udders gone wild. She cleans the heifer regularly now and as of the morning after playing with them she now lets her nurse on their own. The steer calf she still doesn't like. He's only able to nurse at feeding still. He isn't the thriftiest calf and I think that isn't helping. He refused to use what brain he has and stay in the shade during the day. So all in all we are on the right track. I hope she will still accept the steer and he will get brave and start trying to nurse without our guidance.
Thanks again for all the advice!
Wonderful news!!!
@farmerjan certainly is a gem, I'll agree with you wholeheartedly.
Udders gone wild! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If she's allowing one to nurse the idiot usually figures out they can steal from behind while the one is nursing to the side.
It's sounds like ya almost got 'er whooped.
Congratulations and what an awesome update!

I'm sure we will some pics of both nursing at the same time soon

So, calf claim with the bull calf??? And I would keep encouraging him to nurse from the back if nothing else and he will figure out that when the heifer goes to nursing he needs to dive in there too... some are just dumb as a rock.... he may get a few piles on his head, but if he figures out that if he goes on from the back he has access to 2 teats pretty close together, he will get it.

We had a bought beef cow that just calved and the calf had severely deformed legs that crossed like a scissor... and it wasn't "right". I tried bottle feeding, didn't drink right or swallow and in 2 days was dead... Got a calf from a dairy (black ang/hol x heifer) and it got the whole idea of going on the cow but after 3 days of letting the calf nurse while eating, cow decided she was tired of being in the pen and got to shoving pretty bad wanting out. Calf was pretty aggressive so after 2 more days, I let them out. She is a crappy mother... ignores the calf... and the calf will go around just hollering for her... and smelling and checking out every other cow... but as soon as she finds the "right one" the calf will go on from the back and stick with her and when the cow is walking and stops to eat, calf goes right back on from the back and gets a few more sucks. She is sticking with a couple other calves and follows them in the creep gate and in the barn when it is hot and comes out when they do, and goes "looking " for her "mother" when they come out to nurse their own mothers. Haven't seen her steal yet, but I wouldn't blame her if she did. She looks okay so she is getting enough. I don't know if it is because the cow never really claimed it since her own calf was alive for 2 days and she did mother and lick it... she has tolerated this calf but never mothered it.
I will leave it up to son to decide if he wants to give her another chance. Bull is in there with them to breed a few heifers and the 5 in there with calves...so there is a good chance she will cycle and breed back; he will come out in about 30 more days, as we are going to wean some other calves and put the heifers up there and don't want them to get bred too young and there is plenty of grass there and I can creep feed or just feed everyone a little grain to keep the calves friendlier and coming in the pen, every few days.

So, calf claim with the bull calf??? And I would keep encouraging him to nurse from the back if nothing else and he will figure out that when the heifer goes to nursing he needs to dive in there too... some are just dumb as a rock.... he may get a few piles on his head, but if he figures out that if he goes on from the back he has access to 2 teats pretty close together, he will get it.

We had a bought beef cow that just calved and the calf had severely deformed legs that crossed like a scissor... and it wasn't "right". I tried bottle feeding, didn't drink right or swallow and in 2 days was dead... Got a calf from a dairy (black ang/hol x heifer) and it got the whole idea of going on the cow but after 3 days of letting the calf nurse while eating, cow decided she was tired of being in the pen and got to shoving pretty bad wanting out. Calf was pretty aggressive so after 2 more days, I let them out. She is a crappy mother... ignores the calf... and the calf will go around just hollering for her... and smelling and checking out every other cow... but as soon as she finds the "right one" the calf will go on from the back and stick with her and when the cow is walking and stops to eat, calf goes right back on from the back and gets a few more sucks. She is sticking with a couple other calves and follows them in the creep gate and in the barn when it is hot and comes out when they do, and goes "looking " for her "mother" when they come out to nurse their own mothers. Haven't seen her steal yet, but I wouldn't blame her if she did. She looks okay so she is getting enough. I don't know if it is because the cow never really claimed it since her own calf was alive for 2 days and she did mother and lick it... she has tolerated this calf but never mothered it.
I will leave it up to son to decide if he wants to give her another chance. Bull is in there with them to breed a few heifers and the 5 in there with calves...so there is a good chance she will cycle and breed back; he will come out in about 30 more days, as we are going to wean some other calves and put the heifers up there and don't want them to get bred too young and there is plenty of grass there and I can creep feed or just feed everyone a little grain to keep the calves friendlier and coming in the pen, every few days.
That poor bull/steer calf is covered from head to toe in the calf claim. She want's nothing to do with him so far. He's scared of her which doesn't help. She's shoved him around and kicked him in the beginning. He's still a bit "slow" and needs "encouragement" to get over to her but she allows him to nurse "his side" with the heifer she has now claimed on the other. I am hopeful he will catch on to when she's nursing it's time to nurse. He's getting stronger by the day so hopefully in the next few days I will have another good update. Tonight was milking night which was a slight challenge with 2 calves to wrangle but went well and we all got milk. They did not understand being separated prior to milking time for a few hours. Was good to see them up and wanting to nurse though. No grain when we milk which I was worried about with her feeding them. I brought her to the normal milking area and went about as normal then brought the two calves to her and she didn't miss a beat. Even let down normal. Like when she had her first calf on her. So I am pretty happy with how that went. We now have our weeks milk and cream for ice cream and coffee. Everyone is happy at the moment.
We have done that over the years with beef cattle who lost their calves. We've been lucky I guess to never have an issue like that. One time we did have a calf die a few days after birth and we skinned the calf and tied the hide onto the holstein we were able to get. Worked really well but was a bit of "extra" work skinning. The holstein/Angus cross's definitely seem hardier than the straight holsteins. More of a fight in them. If the heifer makes it will you keep her for a nurse cow? We are debating with this one. Hadn't intended on keeping her but so far she's been pretty good temperament. There seems to be people who want them as family milk cows also. Hope it works out for you.

I often skin out the dead calf... but I just skin it in a "tube" and can slide the skin right on the new calf and with the cow licking on it, the skin gets "licked off" in a day or 2 and it works good...no trying to tie it on the calf... but this cow had seemed so accepting of the new calf without the skinning that I thought she was going to do fine. Plus the dead calf was very small and this calf is quite good sized. It was just weird that she would talk to it and let it go right on her and being a beef cow didn't even mind when I put the calf right up to her and got it on the teats the first couple times... her teats were rather large.... but then when she decided she was tired of being in the small barn and lot, she took on a whole different personality...
Oh well, they will keep you guessing.

Have no idea if we will keep the heifer for a cow. I usually do not make them a nurse cow but let them run with the beef cows and their own calf will use what it can and then their milk production will slow to have enough for the calf. I have caught a few calves stealing off a crossbred cow like that in the field... when we raise a group of heifers together, they will get bred together, and calve together... and I am often surprised that after a couple weeks, you will see 2 nursing one cow and then later 2 or 3 on another cow... they seem to co-raise calves. As long as I don't see any "adults" nursing others, I don't care if they co-parent or not. I did have 2 that became problems with sucking other cows in the group and used nose weaners and a couple other things... one I just sold as I could not break her, the other went with other cows and they did not tolerate it and have never seen her do it again...

And it depends on the calf's disposition as it grows. If they become very friendly, then sometimes I will take the time to give them a 2nd calf to raise and let them run with the beef cows with "twins"... but the grass has to be very good to not supplement with some grain because 2 calves pulling on a 1/2 dairy cow will have her losing condition and they get thinner than a beef cow and often do not breed back as easily because they are putting more into the milk than they are into getting their condition back to cycle.

Because this was bought cow that was very good dispositioned, I just didn't expect her to not mother the calf after a few days of totally accepting the calf to nurse in the small barn lot. Since I have no idea of her background, I just went with what felt right and the initial acceptance of the calf made me think she would do fine. Kinda fooled me, but it follows around and seems to be determined to make sure it gets to drink.

I have also found that if you put BOTH calves on the same side... with the one she claims closer to her, that she will turn around and smell that calf and will then mostly ignore that there are 2 calves on her and the other one is able to nurse. Both sides often confuses a cow.... yes the calf is closer to the leg to get kicked, but if the one she "claims" is closer to her and she can turn her head and smell it and lick it, the 2nd calf doesn't seem to trigger a "rejection" as often. That is when they often learn to sneak in on the back of the cow too... easier access to the teats.

Latest posts