Calf not keeping up

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
This 6 year old cow had a really big udder pre-calving last year, and I asked how worried I should be for future issues. This year, udder was more reasonable at calving, but now 3 days out, she's going all in. Calf is bouncy, healthy, obviously nursing, and I know eventually he'll catch up, but what the heck? Not gonna even try grafting a second-she's one who is friendly enough, but not the best working in a chute to get one latched on due to her size and a prior episode of getting stuck. Too much of a good thing?

Attachments

• 38B06CD1-2CE0-4288-84FC-6AF0237F2ED5.jpeg
    38B06CD1-2CE0-4288-84FC-6AF0237F2ED5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 933BEDDB-9381-41B1-8F45-398EB748C855.jpeg
    933BEDDB-9381-41B1-8F45-398EB748C855.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
They sure look like big fat short teats too.

For good or bad,
I sold my last one like that. I hated to sell a good cow. But really, what's a GOOD cow if her udder ain't right??
But as long as the calf gets it figured out I guess.
The front teats were the first used by the last calf, for sure, and this calf was up and nursing easily when I found it Thursday evening. Frustrating, because she's really been a good cow otherwise.

When we get a cow like that and she is in a field close enough to get her in the barn, I run her up the chute.... put cannula's in the un-nursed teats and drain them completely once... it takes the pressure off, and usually the teats will be softer and the calf will "get it" and then manage those other teats. And sometimes the cow just makes too much milk and becomes a 3 teat cow... if the calf grows good then not a problem. Every situation is different and every cow is different. Just need to watch keeping any replacement heifers out of a cow with extremely big teats/udder....

The calf will get them nursed down to normal size in a couple weeks. I wouldn't worry yet. Not a great udder by any means so just watch the development of it and the calf. If the cow is real big and cull prices are good at weaning time, it is time to trade her in on a newer model.

I learned the hard way that keeping an otherwise great cow with any udder/teat issues will bite me in the azz. And honestly, I've never had luck treating for mastitis (even if I take her in to my vet). I have a great cow now that has a dead quarter. I've no doubt she can still raise a nice calf on 3 but this will be her last calf. I'll monitor her & the calf to decide if I should sell right away, when we work them in the spring or at weaning. Just bad luck of the draw. Her dam just turned 12 and still has a perfect udder.

I learned the hard way that keeping an otherwise great cow with any udder/teat issues will bite me in the azz. And honestly, I've never had luck treating for mastitis (even if I take her in to my vet). I have a great cow now that has a dead quarter. I've no doubt she can still raise a nice calf on 3 but this will be her last calf. I'll monitor her & the calf to decide if I should sell right away, when we work them in the spring or at weaning. Just bad luck of the draw. Her dam just turned 12 and still has a perfect udder.
Kinda stinks. Last thing I want to mess with is mastitis, but seems to be coming if we keep this up. Thanks for the input

Just updating-1week post-calving, fronts are definitely being nursed. Rears are still being ignored (was the same with last calf too). At least overall udder Size is better.

Attachments

• 5F8D02AE-DD94-4C31-B652-1B747C8B856A.jpeg
    5F8D02AE-DD94-4C31-B652-1B747C8B856A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 9E390E2F-0370-48CF-B9DA-079695971D2F.jpeg
    9E390E2F-0370-48CF-B9DA-079695971D2F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
One of my best mum's is a 1 chambered cow.. She has raised 3 calves so far on that 1 teat.
Her 3 teats blew out 4 yrs. ago. Never saw anything like it. She had nice teats her first 3 yrs. then they became huge torpedo teats. Vet said a fly got up in there .
Never heard of that. I guess a blow fly got up in them teats.
She raised 5 when she had all 4 working. Most folks would have sent her to market.
She's a big cow Charolais/Corriente cross.. That we raised.
And now at her age . We just let her keep having calves.

What I'm driving at ; is it will all work out. The calf will start drinking all chambers ,when it's ready.
If it was hungry , it would be drinking all now.. It must be full...

Good luck...

Latest posts