Calf? I thought you said Cat- Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
A funny story with a happy ending. My Jersey bottle calf came down with a bad case of scours when she was 2 weeks old. She could have died. Her poop was yellowish anyway because it was milk poop. But then she developed the squirts. I mean projectile liquid stool. She became lethargic. Her skin did not snap back when pinched. Then she lost her suck reflex and just lay there. All this happened within a short time.

We don't have a livestock vet since we recently moved here. We have a vet in town who vaccinated our German Shepherd for rabies. He is a nice elderly gentleman. So I called his office and said I have a calf with severe diarrhea and needs an emergency appointment. The office lady said OK come at 2 oclock. We loaded the calf in a dog crate in the back of the truck. I did not put her in the trailer because she was weak and would get thrown around on the windey road. We drove into the clinic parking lot. I went up to the window. They don't let people inside the clinic because of the dadgummed corona virus no one cares about anymore but he is old and thats the rule. The lady was filling out a paper. She asked what sex? I said female. What color? Fawn colored. Long or short coat? I said short coat. All calves have short coats unless they are Highland cattle. She blurts out CALF! I THOUGHT YOU SAID CAT! We don't see large animals. I said this is not a large animal. She only weighs about 50 pounds and if she is not rehydrated soon she is going to die! I was thinking Lactated Ringers IV. After some discussion she said OK she would go ask the doctor. The vet came hobbling out. He is very dear and frail and uses a cane. He looked thoughtfully at the calf. He said I understand your calf has severe diarrhea. I used to see large animals but now I don't have the medicine and equipment anymore. But if you go to the Milkyway Feed Store and get some things I think you could save this calf. He said to get an esophageal feeder. It is a container with a tube and a nozzle attached. We used to have one but left it on the ranch in Texas. He said to get 6 envelopes of Re-Sorb, an elecrolyte powder, mix as directed and tube it to her twice a day for 2 days, then half milk half Re-Sorb twice a day for 2 days. I got her some cattle probiotics too. She felt better because of all the glucose in it and her critical electrolytes balance was restored. She got up, got her suck reflex back and decided to go ahead and live. This happened a month ago.

100_2078.JPG
100_2079.JPG

Well the old vet did good for you.
But, latest info warns NOT to mix electrolytes and milk.
Tube with elect. then couple hours later, tube with milk. Keep alternating. They need the electrolytes to get back in balance, but they need the milk for nutrition. But they do not work well together.
No matter, it saved your CAT!! LOL

Well, sure. A dehyrated calf needs some extra fluid besides the elctrolye solution so they have something extra to rehydrate with. It also says that milk mixed with electrolyte does not clot in the abomasum.

Another brand says-At first sign of scouring Rehydrate and consult a veterinarian.Give2.0 quarts CALF RES-Q every 12 hours in addition to normal milk replacer feeding schedule. Do this for 3 days. You are supposed to wait a few hours after the milk feeding. My calf was also drinking some water from her bucket within a couple of hours once she got to feeling better.

I never did know what caused it. Some chickens had been in her pen. Chickens are real germ farms.

Haha. That office worker was a young woman who must have heard so much every day about sick cats she thought I said cat. "Oh, We dont see large animals" I had a baby heifer calf dying before my eyes and everything she needed was in that building. These were like fighting words.

Last edited: