26 cent Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about Mabel. That was a lot of effort and some serious hope invested.

But as for your barn... I've brought buildings like that back from the grave. Of course I don't know the particulars, but with a little imagination and some hard work it would probably be cheaper than new construction and might last longer if done right.
On the other hand it might blow down in a sudden wind or when you're working on it.

Last edited:
I am so very sorry about Mabel. I know you cared a lot about her.

Sorry for the loss. it happens to everyone. Some of the most heart breaking times with cattle are hard to take. I had a cow calve in the dead of winter and the calf had a bad case of restricted tendons. It was brutally cold for our area. The cows were in a field of around 150 acres but also had a calf shelter in it. I got the calf into the shelter on some bedding. The cow would come up two or three times a day to feed the calf. She would bellow and the calf would hobble out on its shins and then return. I would also work with the calf morning and evening straightening the the legs. It gradually got stronger over a two week period and got to where it would walk around some when the cow came to feed.
I new it was getting close for the calf to go with the mom and rejoin the herd.

A couple of mornings later the calf was gone from the shelter and I felt like I had accomplished something. I never saw the calf again. Not a big financial loss but a loss that makes you wonder why you fool with these darn things but as Jerry Jeff Walker used to sing, "The high times carry the low"

Sorry for your loss. I worry about my cattle too, and i know that day will happen to me. Have lots of shade trees for them....I keep 1,000. gallons of fresh clean water on site in 7 containers...have a shaded pond....and i even bring out a whole chilled watermelon skins and all chopped up to them when it gets to 107-113. Anything over 103 with more than 50% humidity becomes dangerous for cattle.

Sorry for your loss. I worry about my cattle too, and i know that day will happen to me. Have lots of shade trees for them....I keep 1,000. gallons of fresh clean water on site in 7 containers...have a shaded pond....and i even bring out a whole chilled watermelon skins and all chopped up to them when it gets to 107-113. Anything over 103 with more than 50% humidity becomes dangerous for cattle.
Interesting, We have done the watermelon deal for years. We use the cows for a garbage disposal. Of course there are things they won't
touch. There is a mud bottom pond at the lower end which drains continually. I try to keep them out of it otherwise I can run into foot
problems. Water source is a year around spring coming from under the road at the upper end. Spring took the road out in 16? The county
laid in a 100 or so loads of busted concrete and steel barrier. It has held so far but I'm betting on the spring in the long haul.
Helps not to have black hided cattle in hot weather. I forget the temperature difference between black and the others.
I do know I do not have cattle clustered in the creek all summer since going to red or spots. Without water, heat and low humidity
can be hard on them as well. Hint , after a rain is a good time to check for hardware in the feed yard./ Lee

@Lee VanRoss Yes, being a metal detectorist...i know the rain cleans off all kind of debris that i can see...I've picked up mercury dimes and wheat cents after a good rain. I drag my magnet after a rain at the ranch and can see a few nails on the surface.
My Bull has a red tint hide, black angus...so are many of my Cows red tinted...it's providing me about 30% red angus that, the heifers, i'll keep and grow out as breeders. I've just filled up the water today using the well...about 800 gallons today, no issues. What's interesting is my well only has about 1,200. gallon capacity (volumetric area, depth-width)...yet...I've pumped out over 8,000. gallons since in the last 4 months and it's only rained hard once about 2 months ago. I'm figuring it must be getting fed by a spring too. Talking about garage disposals....we just cleaned out both refrigerators....two days ago I made a video...I saw one of the cows eat the entire cranberry jelly...i was kind of worried....but she's fine.
Here's the list of items: Today I fed them cattle cubes, cut potatoes, cut oranges, cut pears, bananas, tortilla, bread slices, three blueberry pancakes, cranberry sauce, coconut shredded, dried cranberries and a complete huge watermelon w/skin cut up....they grazed 30 minutes more until 11:00am and then they all went back to the pond to cool off and lay down. Our refrigerators are cleaned out of old items. It doesn't happen often but our cattle really got a "Tour of Tastes" today.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I have lost a few over the years that were fine the night before and the next morning were dead. Sometimes you will just not know "why".