Post a random thought

Help Support CattleToday:

Agree that there are cases where limiting the speeds could be of benefit... but I was definitely at a disadvantage and it kinda scared me to not be able to get the vehicle to get out of the way of the truck behind me...

As most of you know I drive a lot. All over the US and see lots of what Jan talks about. I normally set the cruise control 2 miles over the speed limit. Many pass me of course. But also in 500 mile i see the same vehicle several times that had passed me hours ago. There is a limit to how fast you can get somewhere. Construction usually slows everything down. Atlanta, Knoxville TN, Cincinnati all ruin the average and its almost impossible to totally avoid them.
I have stated before that you cant maintain 70 for a full days trip. Something will mess the average speed up. Plus stopping to get fuel or pee can lower the average more than you expect.

As most of you know I drive a lot. All over the US and see lots of what Jan talks about. I normally set the cruise control 2 miles over the speed limit. Many pass me of course. But also in 500 mile i see the same vehicle several times that had passed me hours ago. There is a limit to how fast you can get somewhere. Construction usually slows everything down. Atlanta, Knoxville TN, Cincinnati all ruin the average and its almost impossible to totally avoid them.
I have stated before that you cant maintain 70 for a full days trip. Something will mess the average speed up. Plus stopping to get fuel or pee can lower the average more than you expect.
CANNONBALL!!!

Agree that there are cases where limiting the speeds could be of benefit... but I was definitely at a disadvantage and it kinda scared me to not be able to get the vehicle to get out of the way of the truck behind me...
The speed isn't as scary as the drivers today with total disregard for traffic safety.
They need to be removed from the pool.

That sounded all right to me Jan, 80km/h is all I need to do most of the time then I realized you are talking mph. You would have to go a long way around here before you got to a road that you could safely do those speeds if you were allowed to. I might set the cruise control to just under 100km/h (the speed limit, 60mph) if I was going to the next town Warwick.

Ken
For American drivers......80km/hr is not quite 50 mph. I can't imagine being limited to that here in Texas.

On some newer or better optioned Ford models, you will have an administrative key, that you insert in a special key slot in the back inside of the console and you can reprogram all your keys from that yourself. The only other thing about my key that I've found out, is that if you take it out of park and not seat belted in, the radio goes mute until you buckle up. You CAN program it that it won't even start without seatbelts being fastened.....

I absolutely, positively hate those icicle Christmas lights! (but my wife likes them so I have to put them up, AFTER I try to get the 600 drops to hang straight after being in the box for gawd knows how many months. )

For American drivers......80km/hr is not quite 50 mph. I can't imagine being limited to that here in Texas.

On some newer or better optioned Ford models, you will have an administrative key, that you insert in a special key slot in the back inside of the console and you can reprogram all your keys from that yourself. The only other thing about my key that I've found out, is that if you take it out of park and not seat belted in, the radio goes mute until you buckle up. You CAN program it that it won't even start without seatbelts being fastened.....
Once they get the console screen figured out on the Explorer, it will get sold and I do not intend to have another vehicle with all these program-able "extras". I will die with my nice old subarus and 1980's and 1990's trucks. I have no intention to spend that kind of money on a vehicle that costs more than my house, and will continue to depreciate. Nor do I want something that can control what I am doing, like those keys. If there comes a time there is some sort of WW3 and there is a disaster with the grid and electricity, I do not need a vehicle that has so much electronic crap on it that it won't run because of a "computer glitch"... This problem with the 2012 Explorer and the console screen not being able to "communicate" so there is no radio, no heat..... " climate control center"..... and all the things that won't work, is totally stupid. I hate that I ever bought it from the estate....

I absolutely, positively hate those icicle Christmas lights! (but my wife likes them so I have to put them up, AFTER I try to get the 600 drops to hang straight after being in the box for gawd knows how many months. )
Leave'em hangin' year round. Where is your Christmas spirit?

Any vehicle made after 1980 has electronics. First called ALDL..(assembly line diagnostics link) . I owned several mid 80s vehicles and they all had significant quantities of engine and ignition electronics. After that, came OBD1, then OBD2. On Board Diagnostics. I guarantee, that the odds that your 1980s vehicles will survive a nearby nuclear or big solar Electro Magnetic Pulse is somewhere between slim and none.. Even some 1970s would not since most of the 70s (after 1972) vehicles had electronic or solid state ignition systems (Ford's DuraSpark). It was offered as an option as early as '63 on 427cu in TBirds under the name Transistorized ignition. . GM's version became standard in '75 (HEI) High Energy Ignition.
You would have to go back to a time when vehicles had just points and condensors with the old wound wire coil to hope to avoid damage from a big EMP.

(a big EMP would likely burn out or cause my implanted spinal device to go nuts..it's synced to a smart phone)

I understand that there are electronics in anything from 80's onward... but they are not near as complicated or difficult to work on as the "newer/better/more improved" technology.
My 76 little ford 4x4 ranger might survive all that electronic breakdown... trying to find a new distributor for it now...
Maybe I will just get a horse again....

I forgot how many times I replaced the electronic ignition in my 1975 Mercury Cougar. The car would die just driving down the road, I would drop it into neutral and restart it, but once I stopped I would not restart until it cooled down.

I forgot how many times I replaced the electronic ignition in my 1975 Mercury Cougar. The car would die just driving down the road, I would drop it into neutral and restart it, but once I stopped I would not restart until it cooled down.
Back in those days Ford had a real problem with their ignition modules. We were using a couple of brand new bucket trucks to hang steel and insulators, etc., in substations, and it never failed that a truck would die when we were up in the air. Sometimes the truck would start right up... and sometimes it would be a couple of hours.

I had that happen on a late 70s-early 80s Ford pickup, about 100 miles from home. I let it cool down, fired it up then stopped at a stop n go and bought a cheap Styrofoam cooler and got 3 bags of ice. Sat one on the durospark electronics module that was on top of the fenderwell and kept the other 2 for reserve. I'd go about 35-40 miles before that bag under the hood melted and I'd replace it and go again. Replaced it the next day right in Na-Pah's parking lot.

That must have been the first year for the electronic ignition in the Cougar. I had a '74 XR7 with a 351C and it had the old single points and coil setup.

Did folks ever get confused about the conflicting directions?
I've been long suffering from insatiable curiosity, so I can imagine myself crawling up on that roof.
The porch is obvious, and boring, and likely crowded. Robert Frost was an amateur.
Ya dummie..the arrows are annotations to point out the Christmas lights and yes, it was a tall set of eaves. 17' walls plus the house sat with top of 1st floor 5' off grade/ground level.
I was younger and in much better physical shape when I put those lights up there.

Porch floor area under roof was 12' X 35'. Bad part, it faced West and in afternoon that sun's path across the South& Western sky's heat was all but unbearable. Not much view either, as the Impenetrable Forest began 85' from our front porch.

My little 2 wd ford ranger has the same problem with it not starting sometimes when the engine is warm. I have 3 of the plug in ones to stick in the fuse box... and switch them out if one won't start it, another usually will... couldn't figure out why it started fine, drove it, did some stops then all of a sudden it just wouldn't start. Waited 15-20 minutes and then it started. I talked to a guy who had one and he told me what the problem was and they were famous for it...so I just went and got a couple more and keep them in the tool box.. If it gives me any grief, I just pop the hood, switch them out with another, and 99.9% of the time it starts right up. I can go days and never have any problems, then all of a sudden it will do it every time I try to restart if it hasn't been long since I turned it off... like going in the feed store or something.... That is a pain but I can deal with that.

Last edited:

Latest posts