Post a random thought

Help Support CattleToday:

Like I told a frugal friend yesterday…you only buy your needs, never your wants..that is till you finally need it..that's when you want it

That has already begun with programable 'keys' like Ford's 'MyKey' . You can limit all kinds of things, including top speed, and lots of companies do it using the admin key on their fleet vehicles. So far, all it does is give a distracting audible alarm and message to the driver.
When I bought the 2012 explorer from my parents estate, turns out my father had the key he gave my mother programmed to not allow the vehicle to go over 80... that's all well fine and good until you are trying to pass another vehicle in heavy traffic that is going 75 plus to start with... and you want to get by a truck and get over with people on your bumper.... I could not believe it ; found out about it from my brother, because my son was having a fit telling me I was crazy when I couldn't get the explorer to go any faster... felt like the gas pedal just wasn't giving it any more gas trying to pass some big trucks doing 75 + , and then he talked to my brother and he said oh yeah, father did that so mother couldn't drive too fast... I did get it taken off at the ford place, they put it on the computer and "unlocked" the restriction... it is scary to be going along and a truck is on your arse, another next to you and you can't get it to go into a "passing gear" to get past the one in the lane next to you so you can get over... heavy traffic.... not a position I ever want to be in again....
So they have been doing it for over 10 years at least.

When I bought the 2012 explorer from my parents estate, turns out my father had the key he gave my mother programmed to not allow the vehicle to go over 80... that's all well fine and good until you are trying to pass another vehicle in heavy traffic that is going 75 plus to start with... and you want to get by a truck and get over with people on your bumper.... I could not believe it ; found out about it from my brother, because my son was having a fit telling me I was crazy when I couldn't get the explorer to go any faster... felt like the gas pedal just wasn't giving it any more gas trying to pass some big trucks doing 75 + , and then he talked to my brother and he said oh yeah, father did that so mother couldn't drive too fast... I did get it taken off at the ford place, they put it on the computer and "unlocked" the restriction... it is scary to be going along and a truck is on your arse, another next to you and you can't get it to go into a "passing gear" to get past the one in the lane next to you so you can get over... heavy traffic.... not a position I ever want to be in again....
That sounded all right to me Jan, 80km/h is all I need to do most of the time then I realized you are talking mph. You would have to go a long way around here before you got to a road that you could safely do those speeds if you were allowed to. I might set the cruise control to just under 100km/h (the speed limit, 60mph) if I was going to the next town Warwick.

Ken

Honestly, 80 mph is more than fast enough in most cases... but on the interstate with the faster and faster driving speeds... most are speed limits of 70 or 75... and believe me, few drive that "slow"... being able to push the pedal and get more speed to go around someone when there is someone breathing down your back bumper... 80 was not enough. I like to do not more than 70+ a couple on the interstate... and often people are going by me like I was crawling... drivers up in the northeast are notorious for pushing their limits all the time... and driving much more recklessly than I am used to around here anymore... everyone up there is in a hurry and needs to be somewhere 20 minutes ago... I hate driving in the heavier traffic in the northeast corridor, around any of the metropolitan areas.

Jan i notice on I-81 there are signs saying anyone traveling 70 or less must be in the right lane. But the speed limit is 70 so does that mean everything must be in the right lane? Oh, i know the answer but it seems odd.

Dad somehow did that to the 2013 F150, I'm still not sure how he did it. You need to have both keys to put the speed restriction on or take it off. He had set his a 65mph. There are youtube videos on how to do it.

Jan i notice on I-81 there are signs saying anyone traveling 70 or less must be in the right lane. But the speed limit is 70 so does that mean everything must be in the right lane? Oh, i know the answer but it seems odd.
Like anyone does the speed limit anymore???? Around here 70 is slow on the interstate... It is ridiculous... but those signs are so that if anyone gets out in the left lane, they had better be passing and doing more than 70.... the trucks get otu there and can't get over 70 going up hill and then clog the road with another one next to them also not going more than 70... and next thing you know we have backups all around here... and it is mostly from someone that won't go on and go faster and pass and then get back over...
I don't know where some of these people get their driver licenses from nowadays....

The speed limit on the interstate here is 70 mph. Go just a few miles east of here into Idaho and the limit is 80 mph. Same freeway just across the state line. I see a lot of cars with Idaho plates that think they are still in Idaho.

Restricting the keys to certain speeds can be more dangerous than positive... I get the idea but then when a need arises so move and move fast, you can't....
I think there are some upsides to those keys. For instance if you have a teenager driving your vehicle. You can even limit the stereo volume amongst some things I can't remember at the moment.

Latest posts