Polled Hereford Marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

txag":31uits1o said:
HerefordSire":31uits1o said:
I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

Online may be dead, but there are 1047 of his sons in the AHA database. his genetics are not rare. now the 3008 daughter/Online may be something different. good luck.

Exactly..with a big "E"

Frankie":2xkj0tgy said:
HerefordSire":2xkj0tgy said:
I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

Most commercial ranchers don't AI their cattle. If they do, it's generally their heifers and I don't think this bull is a calving ease bull. And don't assume that the bull will be a semen producers. Every year I hear of good bulls that can't produce enough semen or will freeze, even if the demand is there.

I really hate to say this Frankie, but I was thinking the same thing. :) Herefordsire you are grasping at "straws". ;-)

1848":xron0y7d said:
HerefordSire":xron0y7d said:
oakcreekfarms":xron0y7d said:
Alright, your chances of selling that calf to a seedstock producer as a herd bull is not very likely. Unless you go to denver or some other classy shows/sales, and run ads in all the magazines and papers.

Most likely the bull will be sold to a rancher or just a cattleman. THey rarely ever look at epd's or pedigree. THey usually only care about birth weight, or maybe their spread. YOu won't sell a bull to them for 7500, because my bulls will be just as good being sold for 2000. (using as an example, not that mine are actually better), but you get the point.

You think you are the only one doing this? You are already behind the power curve. There are more Online and 3008 calves out there then you realize, and you can bet the big ranches have cornered the top prospects in their own programs. Take a look at Starlakes bull line-up and ask yourself in they are not trying to put a good example out there of every hot genetic make-up out there! Why buy from you when the average buyer can buy cheap semen or calves from a program which has been marketing, and breeding since you were in prep school? :D

1848 you are correct. Star Lakes has a line up I have been very well pleased with my StarLake girls and Braxton bulls.
I market to the commericial operation it takes years to build a reputation and you are not going to compete with the big operations.
You have to find your niche, this is brahman and brangus country the cattlemen here want red and black baldie calfs, my bulls fill that niche.
You also have to remember not every bull calf is a herd bull and is bound for the sale barn.
First thing you have to learn is paper and numbers don't make the cow.

Campground Cattle":2w5qnvt5 said:
You also have to remember not every bull calf is a herd bull and is bound for the sale barn.

Wisdom here Herefordsire!

Y'all think this may be HCF in disguise? :shock:

1848":cwu5zwwq said:
HerefordSire":cwu5zwwq said:
I would like to humbly thank the group for your patience, expertise, and information you have shared with me. Thank-you!

I would like another favor though if you don't mind....I have a good idea of the Registered Polled Hereford market. However, I would like an expert independent evaluation from the group as I have been very impressed up to this point.

I have eight straws of Remitall Online semen coming which may be 12 calves (two flushes). If I cross a RRH Mr. Felt 3008 daughter with Remitall Online 122L (deceased), what do you think the market will bring in all possible marketing channels, for the best bullock calf and the best heifer calf. One of the marketing channels could be a future A1 web site in which I would personally implement.

If you don't have the other half of the equation (ie: the cow) covered with marketable genetics, a good phenotype, and a proven record with her offspring, then you might just consider selling the semen outright, other than spend the time and money raising an ET calf you can't market in another year or so! Implementing a website may or may not bring in business. Cattle people are still sceptical of internet purchases. If you don't have a reputation you will not get you money back out of your ET investments.

I am grateful I have a decent paying job so I can defer all sales for five or ten years if need be. ;-)

1848":tfw3l1ih said:
HerefordSire":tfw3l1ih said:
Hill Creek Farm":tfw3l1ih said:
Just remember and take some advice, don't jump in with both feet an ddon't put to many irons in the fires, because if you don't watch, they all will burn. Take care. :cboy:

HCF....errr, uhhhh, ........ you are writing like you are my age. I wonder if there is a way I can capture your knowledge and know how...to parlay...because you seem to like an area of the market that I do....I sure wish I could afford you expertise. What will you do now?

I wish I could put some fiddle music in here! :lol:

He is a good person. I would rather hear "Eye of the Tiger". :p

1848":3165wl67 said:
HerefordSire":3165wl67 said:
mtnman":3165wl67 said:
Pay Hill Creek for his advice, he is probably looking for work.

mtnman

He probably makes more than you and I combined. Maybe he and I can corner a portion of the market to make our semen price go from $30 to $2K overnight.

Yes, use other peoples money...that is what you do for a living...right?

Oh and uh...your dreaming if you think you will get the prices you stated for you ET calves, without reputation, and without more money into them then you might care to invest to keep you well above your profit margin!

Negative. R & D C++ Programmer; are you a full time breeder?

I believe I get $3K a calf.

1848":3d0g92tn said:
oakcreekfarms":3d0g92tn said:
Also, if you have paid any attention to pw victor boomber's epd's over the past year you see how numbers can drop out of the ceiling. He dropped 30pts on both ww&yw. How are people going to be sure that your bull doesn't do that. Numbers aren't everything, they can and will quickly change good or bad

;-) I hope Hereford sire is listening here.

Yes, I is listening. :eek:

1848":3atz1w8p said:
HerefordSire":3atz1w8p said:
oakcreekfarms":3atz1w8p said:
Alright, your chances of selling that calf to a seedstock producer as a herd bull is not very likely. Unless you go to denver or some other classy shows/sales, and run ads in all the magazines and papers.

Most likely the bull will be sold to a rancher or just a cattleman. THey rarely ever look at epd's or pedigree. THey usually only care about birth weight, or maybe their spread. YOu won't sell a bull to them for 7500, because my bulls will be just as good being sold for 2000. (using as an example, not that mine are actually better), but you get the point.

You think you are the only one doing this? You are already behind the power curve. There are more Online and 3008 calves out there then you realize, and you can bet the big ranches have cornered the top prospects in their own programs. Take a look at Starlakes bull line-up and ask yourself in they are not trying to put a good example out there of every hot genetic make-up out there! Why buy from you when the average buyer can buy cheap semen or calves from a program which has been marketing, and breeding since you were in prep school? :D

Negative, but I am unable to locate a mating. I already checked the STAR lineup.

Why buy from me? I see potential in the excelleration of appreciation that the majority of breeders don't see. Hopefully, I can implement the plan.

Why buy from you?

1848":2sjsmjvy said:
txag":2sjsmjvy said:
HerefordSire":2sjsmjvy said:

Online may be dead, but there are 1047 of his sons in the AHA database. his genetics are not rare. now the 3008 daughter/Online may be something different. good luck.

Exactly..with a big "E"

I am glad I creating something may be rare which is what I am after. It will be unique in my herd. :lol:

1848":26u4kr5e said:
Frankie":26u4kr5e said:
HerefordSire":26u4kr5e said:

Most commercial ranchers don't AI their cattle. If they do, it's generally their heifers and I don't think this bull is a calving ease bull. And don't assume that the bull will be a semen producers. Every year I hear of good bulls that can't produce enough semen or will freeze, even if the demand is there.

I really hate to say this Frankie, but I was thinking the same thing. :) Herefordsire you are grasping at "straws". ;-)

I wonder how many heifers in the USA?

1848":63rnq9ro said:
Campground Cattle":63rnq9ro said:

Wisdom here Herefordsire!

Y'all think this may be HCF in disguise? :shock:

Yes, his wisdom certainly helps me. The first time I see an Online bullock of mine headed for the Sale barn, I will make sure the "Eye of the Tiger" is playing on the loud speakers when he enters the arena. I do respect HCF. He is a good person.

Caustic Burno":1jzrh9lv said:
By the way 1848 and txag keep your eyes open for me a replacement bull this fall.
You might check with Campground, unless he's already sold out.

Texan":32wj4sqf said:
Caustic Burno":32wj4sqf said:
By the way 1848 and txag keep your eyes open for me a replacement bull this fall.

Hey Texan, I think ol' CB ought to look somewhere different for a bull this go round DOn't you?

I mean geeze, how many braxton bred tigers does the world need?

CB...get on the wagon and head east. I hear there is a feller in Virginia that has an interest in a bull for sale. You might get him talked into giving you possesion instead of just feeding rights :cboy:

Muratic":18suegfn said:
Texan":18suegfn said:
Caustic Burno":18suegfn said:

Hey Texan, I think ol' CB ought to look somewhere different for a bull this go round DOn't you?

I mean geeze, how many braxton bred tigers does the world need?

CB...get on the wagon and head east. I head there is a feller in Virginia that has an interest in a bull for sale. You might get him talked into giving you possesion instead of just feeding rights :cboy:

You are right I have 3 generations of Braxton's heifers thats why I am looking for a Victor.

But I am looking for a working bull not one of those paper bulls.

Muratic":3vojjvv4 said:
instead of just feeding rights :cboy:
To anyone that's been in the registered business, that's very funny :lol: I have to remember that line.

So, you all think I am using a different name to get back into this Hereford business? No, I am not Herefordsire in disguise. He thinks somewhat like I do, but he is flushing 3008 daughters and I am not a big fan of 3008. Take care. :cboy:

Latest posts