Polled Hereford Marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2c7f4226 said:
oakcreekfarms":2c7f4226 said:
You think I am to dumb to use epd's and we are not smart enough to see a set of phony numbers that was pumped by feed or pencil. [/b]

Now thats what this whole disscussion has been about. Can we talk people into buying pedigree, paper or pumped up animals on feed? The simple answer is NO.
Flush your BEST girls keep the BEST heifers breed them to the BEST bulls and MAYBE someday you will sell a high dollar bull.
Good luck to you what ever you do.

MD

ps Good to see ya back CB

HerefordSire":3eey8as4 said:
I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

Most commercial ranchers don't AI their cattle. If they do, it's generally their heifers and I don't think this bull is a calving ease bull. And don't assume that the bull will be a semen producers. Every year I hear of good bulls that can't produce enough semen or will freeze, even if the demand is there.

I am not so sure if you can sell pedigree or EPDs but for a lot of years breeders have been able to sell the 'BIGGEST bull in the pen' and high growth EPDs and lots of feed WILL get you there. Folks that either are looking for terminal growth or who just don't know any better will pick 'the big bull over the little bull' when they are standing side by side. Even when the 'little bull' is frame score six and weighs 2,000 lbs.

Brandonm2":3bc0znue said:
I am not so sure if you can sell pedigree or EPDs but for a lot of years breeders have been able to sell the 'BIGGEST bull in the pen' and high growth EPDs and lots of feed WILL get you there. Folks that either are looking for terminal growth or who just don't know any better will pick 'the big bull over the little bull'. Even when the 'little bull' is frame score six and weighs 2,000 lbs.

Maybe the hobby boys will buy the biggest I want to see his numbers I want th see his daddy's calfs in the field I want to see his daddy with his working clothes on.

I am looking for calving ease lower birthweights and growth.
I can't sell a dead calf at the salebarn.
I will give up 50 pounds on the ones that live to have a higher percentage of live or unassisted births. I can sell these calfs.

Caustic Burno":26e1msh3 said:
I will give up 50 pounds on the ones that live to have a higher percentage of live or unassisted births. I can sell these calfs.

Don;t you know that those calving ease bulls will have daughters that can;t calve on their own? After a couple of generations you'll have to pull every calf!

dun

dun":2n5zca9c said:
Caustic Burno":2n5zca9c said:

Don;t you know that those calving ease bulls will have daughters that can;t calve on their own? After a couple of generations you'll have to pull every calf!

dun

Well dang I guess I need to trot down to the heifer pasture and tell those girls to quit spitting them calves out each spring.

Caustic Burno":1osfo2e2 said:
dun":1osfo2e2 said:
Caustic Burno":1osfo2e2 said:

dun

Well dang I guess I need to trot down to the heifer pasture and tell those girls to quit spitting them calves out each spring.

Nope. Just don;t let them read these boards. That's where I learned the great truth about calving ease bulls and their daughters calving difficulties from.

dun

Frankie":2mapjbro said:
HerefordSire":2mapjbro said:
I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

Most commercial ranchers don't AI their cattle. If they do, it's generally their heifers and I don't think this bull is a calving ease bull. And don't assume that the bull will be a semen producers. Every year I hear of good bulls that can't produce enough semen or will freeze, even if the demand is there.

This is someone you should listen to about seedstock production.
If she just didn't raise Angus.

Caustic Burno":1df14oza said:
Brandonm2":1df14oza said:
I am not so sure if you can sell pedigree or EPDs but for a lot of years breeders have been able to sell the 'BIGGEST bull in the pen' and high growth EPDs and lots of feed WILL get you there. Folks that either are looking for terminal growth or who just don't know any better will pick 'the big bull over the little bull'. Even when the 'little bull' is frame score six and weighs 2,000 lbs.

Maybe the hobby boys will buy the biggest I want to see his numbers I want th see his daddy's calfs in the field I want to see his daddy with his working clothes on.

You getting behind the times Caustic. The daddy today is a 23 month old show bull with a stellar hair cut, eating 8 lbs of feed a day in between curry combing sessions, that the cow owner has only seen in person once. The biological mama is standing around in lush overseeded ryegrass waiting for her daily 5 lb supplement; while this year's calf has his nose up a creep feeder. The cow that actually birthed and reared your future herd bull is a Sim-Ang-Holstein recip cow and he has been eating free choice alfalfa hay along with his 7 lbs a day custom mix bull ration and his free choice liquid supplement for the past 140 days. Now nothing in his princely upbringing has prepared him for what awaits him at your commercial ranch......BUT he has great numbers!! so enjoy and good luck!

By the way the show bulls of today are probably recieving around 20lbs of grain a day, free choice high quaility hay, and whatever else they might need.

oakcreekfarms":2whecx99 said:
By the way the show bulls of today are probably recieving around 20lbs of grain a day, free choice high quaility hay, and whatever else they might need.

By 23 months a show bull ought to weigh 1800+ lbs. I have never fed any show bulls so you could well be right; BUT I don't see any reason to push ANY bull to the tune of 20 lbs a day after 18 months and the past year on grain; unless you have really dialed down the grain content of that ration with forages or filler.

Brandonm2":4rm2vezk said:
Caustic Burno":4rm2vezk said:
Brandonm2":4rm2vezk said:

You getting behind the times Caustic. The daddy today is a 23 month old show bull with a stellar hair cut, eating 8 lbs of feed a day in between curry combing sessions, that the cow owner has only seen in person once. The biological mama is standing around in lush overseeded ryegrass waiting for her daily 5 lb supplement; while this year's calf has his nose up a creep feeder. The cow that actually birthed and reared your future herd bull is a Sim-Ang-Holstein recip cow and he has been eating free choice alfalfa hay along with his 7 lbs a day custom mix bull ration and his free choice liquid supplement for the past 140 days. Now nothing in his princely upbringing has prepared him for what awaits him at your commercial ranch......BUT he has great numbers!! so enjoy and good luck!

Now that is funny, I wonder how that bull will do in our little heat wave with no grain and less grass. lol
Its tough to work for a livin

MD

HerefordSire":3bxyyobm said:
I would like to humbly thank the group for your patience, expertise, and information you have shared with me. Thank-you!

I would like another favor though if you don't mind....I have a good idea of the Registered Polled Hereford market. However, I would like an expert independent evaluation from the group as I have been very impressed up to this point.

I have eight straws of Remitall Online semen coming which may be 12 calves (two flushes). If I cross a RRH Mr. Felt 3008 daughter with Remitall Online 122L (deceased), what do you think the market will bring in all possible marketing channels, for the best bullock calf and the best heifer calf. One of the marketing channels could be a future A1 web site in which I would personally implement.

If you don't have the other half of the equation (ie: the cow) covered with marketable genetics, a good phenotype, and a proven record with her offspring, then you might just consider selling the semen outright, other than spend the time and money raising an ET calf you can't market in another year or so! Implementing a website may or may not bring in business. Cattle people are still sceptical of internet purchases. If you don't have a reputation you will not get you money back out of your ET investments.

Hill Creek Farm":102ql2a0 said:
Just remember and take some advice, don't jump in with both feet an ddon't put to many irons in the fires, because if you don't watch, they all will burn. Take care. :cboy:

:shock:

HerefordSire":3o9nqm9p said:
Hill Creek Farm":3o9nqm9p said:
Just remember and take some advice, don't jump in with both feet an ddon't put to many irons in the fires, because if you don't watch, they all will burn. Take care. :cboy:

HCF....errr, uhhhh, ........ you are writing like you are my age. I wonder if there is a way I can capture your knowledge and know how...to parlay...because you seem to like an area of the market that I do....I sure wish I could afford you expertise. What will you do now?

I wish I could put some fiddle music in here! :lol:

HerefordSire":1lcv04mp said:
mtnman":1lcv04mp said:
Pay Hill Creek for his advice, he is probably looking for work.

mtnman

He probably makes more than you and I combined. Maybe he and I can corner a portion of the market to make our semen price go from $30 to $2K overnight.

Yes, use other peoples money...that is what you do for a living...right?

Oh and uh...your dreaming if you think you will get the prices you stated for you ET calves, without reputation, and without more money into them then you might care to invest to keep you well above your profit margin!

oakcreekfarms":2todxwam said:
Also, if you have paid any attention to pw victor boomber's epd's over the past year you see how numbers can drop out of the ceiling. He dropped 30pts on both ww&yw. How are people going to be sure that your bull doesn't do that. Numbers aren't everything, they can and will quickly change good or bad

;-) I hope Hereford sire is listening here.

HerefordSire":1y3nimvx said:
oakcreekfarms":1y3nimvx said:
Alright, your chances of selling that calf to a seedstock producer as a herd bull is not very likely. Unless you go to denver or some other classy shows/sales, and run ads in all the magazines and papers.

Most likely the bull will be sold to a rancher or just a cattleman. THey rarely ever look at epd's or pedigree. THey usually only care about birth weight, or maybe their spread. YOu won't sell a bull to them for 7500, because my bulls will be just as good being sold for 2000. (using as an example, not that mine are actually better), but you get the point.

You think you are the only one doing this? You are already behind the power curve. There are more Online and 3008 calves out there then you realize, and you can bet the big ranches have cornered the top prospects in their own programs. Take a look at Starlakes bull line-up and ask yourself in they are not trying to put a good example out there of every hot genetic make-up out there! Why buy from you when the average buyer can buy cheap semen or calves from a program which has been marketing, and breeding since you were in prep school? :D

Latest posts