Polled Hereford Marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
I would like to humbly thank the group for your patience, expertise, and information you have shared with me. Thank-you!

I would like another favor though if you don't mind....I have a good idea of the Registered Polled Hereford market. However, I would like an expert independent evaluation from the group as I have been very impressed up to this point.

I have eight straws of Remitall Online semen coming which may be 12 calves (two flushes). If I cross a RRH Mr. Felt 3008 daughter with Remitall Online 122L (deceased), what do you think the market will bring in all possible marketing channels, for the best bullock calf and the best heifer calf. One of the marketing channels could be a future A1 web site in which I would personally implement.

Just remember and take some advice, don't jump in with both feet an ddon't put to many irons in the fires, because if you don't watch, they all will burn. Take care. :cboy:

If you are asking what you can get for the calves, probably right at $1500. If you take them to a sale, you might be able to get close to $2000. You do realize that the pedigree is only a small portion, your calves have to look the part. It will take hundred's of dollars to get the calves to the weight needed.

Beyond that, look into state sales,expos, possibly herfnet, advertise through the local feed and seed, hereford world, hereford america, and through local newpapers. By the time you sell the calf you will have about a $5-700 return. If that.

Pay Hill Creek for his advice, he is probably looking for work.

mtnman

Don't assume that you have a herd bull to promote before you have the mating. Sometimes a flush just does not produce a "great" bull even though pedigree, EPDs, and the parent's phenotype may (SHOULD) be more than capable of producing greatness. I would find me somebody who knows Herefords and can "eyeball" cattle to advise you (and I don't know who to get). IF you do get that great pair, promote them but don't expect immediate industry acceptance.

Brandonm2":3gxqh4dm said:
Don't assume that you have a herd bull to promote before you have the mating. Sometimes a flush just does not produce a "great" bull even though pedigree, EPDs, and the parent's phenotype may (SHOULD) be more than capable of producing greatness. I would find me somebody who knows Herefords and can "eyeball" cattle to advise you (and I don't know who to get). IF you do get that great pair, promote them but don't expect immediate industry acceptance.

Good advice also depends on where he is trying to market a Remitall as I wouldn't give you fifty cents for one.

I don't think either of us are in the target market for this mating. You probably don't want them and I can't feed them (though I am grateful for the late rains to prevent forest fires) even if I did like them.

Hill Creek Farm":3qsu1i6m said:
Just remember and take some advice, don't jump in with both feet an ddon't put to many irons in the fires, because if you don't watch, they all will burn. Take care. :cboy:

HCF....errr, uhhhh, ........ you are writing like you are my age. I wonder if there is a way I can capture your knowledge and know how...to parlay...because you seem to like an area of the market that I do....I sure wish I could afford you expertise. What will you do now?

mtnman":36155zxz said:
Pay Hill Creek for his advice, he is probably looking for work.

mtnman

He probably makes more than you and I combined. Maybe he and I can corner a portion of the market to make our semen price go from $30 to $2K overnight.

Brandonm2":gy5bdm5t said:

Below are the projected averages. Not too shabby, huh?

CED -0.050
BW 4.000
WW 63.000
YW 108.000
MM 21.500
MG 52.500
CEM 6.000
SC 1.500
FAT -0.007
REA 0.390
IMF 0.065
BMI 24.000
CEZ 16.500
BII 19.500
CHB 31.000

oakcreekfarms":17y77lky said:
If you are asking what you can get for the calves, probably right at $1500. If you take them to a sale, you might be able to get close to $2000. You do realize that the pedigree is only a small portion, your calves have to look the part. It will take hundred's of dollars to get the calves to the weight needed.

Beyond that, look into state sales,expos, possibly herfnet, advertise through the local feed and seed, hereford world, hereford america, and through local newpapers. By the time you sell the calf you will have about a $5-700 return. If that.

I believe I can get considerably more than $2K. If I could only get $2K, I would sit on him or her and buy more land. I am thinking no lower than $3K and possibly $7,500 in a year or two.

Campground Cattle":2409n2mv said:
Brandonm2":2409n2mv said:

Good advice also depends on where he is trying to market a Remitall as I wouldn't give you fifty cents for one.

Why not 40 cents? Does that mean you would like him or her? :D

Alright, your chances of selling that calf to a seedstock producer as a herd bull is not very likely. Unless you go to denver or some other classy shows/sales, and run ads in all the magazines and papers.

Most likely the bull will be sold to a rancher or just a cattleman. THey rarely ever look at epd's or pedigree. THey usually only care about birth weight, or maybe their spread. YOu won't sell a bull to them for 7500, because my bulls will be just as good being sold for 2000. (using as an example, not that mine are actually better), but you get the point.

Also, if you have paid any attention to pw victor boomber's epd's over the past year you see how numbers can drop out of the ceiling. He dropped 30pts on both ww&yw. How are people going to be sure that your bull doesn't do that. Numbers aren't everything, they can and will quickly change good or bad

oakcreekfarms":11123bbz said:
Alright, your chances of selling that calf to a seedstock producer as a herd bull is not very likely. Unless you go to denver or some other classy shows/sales, and run ads in all the magazines and papers.

Most likely the bull will be sold to a rancher or just a cattleman. THey rarely ever look at epd's or pedigree. THey usually only care about birth weight, or maybe their spread. YOu won't sell a bull to them for 7500, because my bulls will be just as good being sold for 2000. (using as an example, not that mine are actually better), but you get the point.

I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

oakcreekfarms":36y67s2y said:
Also, if you have paid any attention to pw victor boomber's epd's over the past year you see how numbers can drop out of the ceiling. He dropped 30pts on both ww&yw. How are people going to be sure that your bull doesn't do that. Numbers aren't everything, they can and will quickly change good or bad

I am not worried about it because the parents and grandparents are going into the record books. Chances are, the numbers will go up.

HerefordSire":2acn1viz said:
I think the semen could be for most commercial ranchers, since the bull itself may be too high quality for their budget and purposes. How many good Online (deceased) bull's with a 3008 daughter dam can you buy for less than $20K, how about $100K? Get my drift?

Online may be dead, but there are 1047 of his sons in the AHA database. his genetics are not rare. now the 3008 daughter/Online may be something different. good luck.

oakcreekfarms":uju5gyk6 said:

Well Yogi it is plain to see you think you are just a little smarter than the commericial cattleman "or to qoute you just a cattleman ".
You think I am to dumb to use epd's and we are not smart enough to see a set of phony numbers that was pumped by feed or pencil.

The commericial Cattleman runs the beef industry not the registered or seedstock producers and wantabee's.[/b]

For the majority of us who sell calves off their moma at the stockyard, the yearling wt EPD is almost irrelevant. Dittoe with the carcass EPDs. Birth wt and weaning wt are the two "money" EPDs and if you don't have the forage to wean off 750 lb calves, really high weaning wt MAY not be that desirable.

No that is nothing at all like what I meant. What was just was used as only, which meant being your main selling market. Not that we are any less then anyone else. FOr the past 15 years of my life we have "just" been commercial cattleman. I think I still am. My point was that in talking with seedstock bull producer around these parts, rarely are the pedigree of numbers looked at. I talked to a breeder, he said out of 10 yearling bulls sold to commercial herds only one person looked at the papers, and that was to differentiate between BW epds. I will however say that I believe that both commercial cattleman and registered cattleman need eachother to be successful. I don't see how you could think otherwise. And by the way, why are you so huffy puffy. I am just learning as I go, and from my experiences. By the way I am sure that you can look at numbers. Would you call Mr.Felt's numbers phony? Just a question

Latest posts