Longhorn bull to Hereford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had some crazy bought Limousin calves and some from the same groups were fairly calm.
Only had one bull and he was one of the calmest bulls I've had. All that said they were real popular here in the 80's and 90's and a lot of them at that time were crazy. Have heard folks say that their bulls themselves were calm, but the caIves could be crazy. loved the look of cattle, but didn't want anything to do with them for a long time due to disposition. Then I tried that one bull and never got another one afraid it might not work out as good as the first.
In my aging years I've pretty well decided Hereford and Angus selected for good disposition are my choice for bulls.
There was a particular bull that was very popular back in the early 80's and his offspring were very docile... but for some reason the next generation was nuts. I've never heard of aggression skipping a generation like that before, and maybe it had to do with his offspring being bred back to him or siblings being bred or some other kind of close breeding, but I learned quickly to stay away from that bull in a pedigree. There was another (red) bull owned by O'Brian Farms in southern Missouri named Rouseau (?) that was super gentle and I used his offspring quite a bit. Never had an issue with docility.

831ab52e5edcfcb56b20c5ca6fc8e92a.jpg

This is one of their bulls.

When we were born, my grandpa gave me, my sister, and brother each a longhorn heifer. The half and quarter bred longhorn x Herefords were good cows but didn't start losing their spots until they were eighth bloods.
As far as what sort of bull to use, who you buy the bull from is more important than the breed. Lorenzo Lasater has some very good Beefmaster bulls in San Angelo.

IMG_3354.jpeg
I'm working on rebuilding my creek crossing from all the floods, and my old neighbor saying about the Brimmer girls popped in my head.
He used to say these girls are pretty salty and as we age the doctor prescribes less salt.
He was talking about mine when I was much younger and enjoyed salt.
I have a much lower tolerance for salt today.

My opinion, whether you are selling direct farm to table or at the stockyards, the longhorn is going to be a negative.
The calves will likely be smaller, grow slower and lighter at time processing, than straight beef breed calves.
The quality of the meat may not be quite as good either.
For beef sales, I would want to go back with either another Hereford or an Angus bull.
The longhorn can be a steer pasture ornament. I keep a longhorn type cow or two around for that
We keep a few lh around for our family and friends. Throw the whole carcass into hamburger and you have the best burger you can eat. Good flavor and you get the same size patty coming off the grill that you throw on. We will always keep a couple for this reason. Our family uses much more burger meat than anything else

We keep a few lh around for our family and friends. Throw the whole carcass into hamburger and you have the best burger you can eat. Good flavor and you get the same size patty coming off the grill that you throw on. We will always keep a couple for this reason. Our family uses much more burger meat than anything else
We use more ground beef than anything else too.
I see nothing wrong with using longhorn or longhorn cross for one's own beef or even marketing as such.
We are planning on having a longhorn cross steer processed this fall
My thinking is longhorns are slower growing and don't have the weight that full beef breed calves have and unless you are doing a specialty marketing project it's risky, for repeat customers because everybody is so accustomed to seeing highly marbled beef, and a lot of people just don't understand how to cook lean beef cuts.

That's what venison and a chub of hamburger mixed in is for around here.

I'd hate to see anyone lose $15,000 worth of value to a calf crop no matter how they are marketed. 30 mamas is a good size herd!
I could think of a heck of a lot more fun things to do if I wanted to just blow money other than use a LH bull. 😄

Latest posts