Opinions on pickups

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
D.R. Cattle":1w0xr6g1 said:
Until the big brute expensive diesels came along, the 300 inline 6 was the most dependable and hardest working engine they offered.
Amen! to that!

J. T.":34h870jl said:
D.R. Cattle":34h870jl said:
Until the big brute expensive diesels came along, the 300 inline 6 was the most dependable and hardest working engine they offered.
Amen! to that!

Y'all got to be kidding. Granddad traded up to a 390 in 69 and never went back. There is a difference in working hard and getting work done.

frenchie":71wqwojd said:
greenwillowherefords":71wqwojd said:
Frenchie, what I'm wondering is where were the Fords made that you didn't have good success with?

What would it matter :?: They are the only Fords available to me. or are you suggesting I travel 2400 miles to get a real Ford :roll:

It just might explain the differences in our experience, and might suggest to you that it would be OK for one of us to buy a Ford down here. ;-)

greenwillowherefords":1sinbua5 said:
frenchie":1sinbua5 said:
greenwillowherefords":1sinbua5 said:
Frenchie, what I'm wondering is where were the Fords made that you didn't have good success with?

What would it matter :?: They are the only Fords available to me. or are you suggesting I travel 2400 miles to get a real Ford :roll:

It just might explain the differences in our experience, and might suggest to you that it would be OK for one of us to buy a Ford down here. ;-)

My '90 K2500 350 Chevy was made in Canada. It's been a heck of a truck.

Wewild":kisappcg said:
J. T.":kisappcg said:
D.R. Cattle":kisappcg said:
Amen! to that!

Y'all got to be kidding. Granddad traded up to a 390 in 69 and never went back. There is a difference in working hard and getting work done.
Didn't say it was the strongest. Those 300 6's were tough and dependable. A lot of utility companies used them, even on 4 WD trucks. The standard tranny had great lugging ability. I don't know why Ford discontinued them. They were great engines. BTW, I learned to drive in a '77 Ford with a 300 6. It was so free of pollution crap and electronics, that I could crawl under the hood and stand beside the engine to change the plugs! Remember when you could look under the hood and see the ground? :D

J. T.":27yflyzh said:
D.R. Cattle":27yflyzh said:
Amen! to that!

Maybe I read it wrong. Let's see he referenced the big brutes and hardest working and you said amen.

It don't amount to nothing any ways. Religion, Politics, and favorite truck makes will always lead to a differing of opinions. The first 2 are way more important.

This post I started has turned into one big post.
I'll agree with the Ford 300 6 being one heck of a motor. I had a 89 F150 I with a 302 V8 that I rode hard and put away wet, traded it for a 95 F150 with the 6 and it pulled better and got better fuel economy. I had both pickups while I was in college, did some dumb things with a pickup back then and that 6 was one stout motor.

agcntry":2zuxnuwv said:
I'll agree with the Ford 300 6 being one heck of a motor. I had a 89 F150 I with a 302 V8 that I rode hard and put away wet, traded it for a 95 F150 with the 6 and it pulled better and got better fuel economy. I had both pickups while I was in college, did some dumb things with a pickup back then and that 6 was one stout motor.

How did they do when pulling a 24 foot trailer loaded with 15 900 to 1000 pound round bales?

The 300 did better than the 302. You wouldn't win no speed contests, but that 300 with EFI had a ton of torque. It was only a half ton so I never pulled a gooseneck with that many round bales with it. Pulled a 32' disc 180 miles with it and it worked fine.

agcntry":333usxzh said:
The 300 did better than the 302. You wouldn't win no speed contests, but that 300 with EFI had a ton of torque. It was only a half ton so I never pulled a gooseneck with that many round bales with it. Pulled a 32' disc 180 miles with it and it worked fine.

You think there might have been some difference in the drive train other than the engine?

agcntry":2y6safvb said:
This post I started has turned into one big
  • post.
Any time you mention trucks you unleash a sh#t storm that can burn like a kansas wheat field good luck with your choice :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":1r38l6l4 said:
agcntry":1r38l6l4 said:
  • post.
Any time you mention trucks you unleash a sh#t storm that can burn like a kansas wheat field good luck with your choice :cboy:

Yep, there are definitely more opinions on trucks then there are trucks out there. ;-)

flaboy+":r5ap9qba said:
ALACOWMAN":r5ap9qba said:
agcntry":r5ap9qba said:
  • post.

Yep, there are definitely more opinions on trucks then there are trucks out there. ;-)
I only demand two things from a truck first it has to start and run & then move foward when i put it in drive thats a good truck. i can work around the rest :)

Wewild":1kbjy54w said:
agcntry":1kbjy54w said:

You think there might have been some difference in the drive train other than the engine?

As mentioned before, the inline six cylinder engine by design is hard to beat for torque range. It is simply the ideal configuration for producing torque.

The 302 (5.0) was also a good motor. I had one in an '82 Mustang with a bit of aftermarket tweaking......but I digress.

greenwillowherefords":2lkg6x56 said:
Wewild":2lkg6x56 said:
agcntry":2lkg6x56 said:

As mentioned before, the inline six cylinder engine by design is hard to beat for torque range. It is simply the ideal configuration for producing torque.

The 302 (5.0) was also a good motor. I had one in an '82 Mustang with a bit of aftermarket tweaking......but I digress.

You know anything about the difference in the gearing of his 6 vs. 8 cylinder?

No, and I'm sorry for hijacking the question. However, all things being equal, the six should pull better, but will not have the top end or unloaded quickness of the V8 of comparable size.

greenwillowherefords":2eg2x27t said:
No, and I'm sorry for hijacking the question. However, all things being equal, the six should pull better, but will not have the top end or unloaded quickness of the V8 of comparable size.

No need to apologize.

I don't agree. It is my memory they were geared lower to make the pulling comparable and thus top end lower. That is for the ones that would pull.

Wewild":1ts592v6 said:
greenwillowherefords":1ts592v6 said:

No need to apologize.

I don't agree. It is my memory they were 4.56 geared to make the pulling comparable and thus top end lower. That is for the ones that would pull.

That may have been so in the sixties and seventies, although my 75 was a little high-geared but still would pull well, but I don't think you'll find many half ton pickups from the nineties with 4:56 gearing.

greenwillowherefords":30atvkeq said:
Wewild":30atvkeq said:
greenwillowherefords":30atvkeq said:

No need to apologize.

I don't agree. It is my memory they were 4.56 geared to make the pulling comparable and thus top end lower. That is for the ones that would pull.

That may have been so in the sixties and seventies, although my 75 was a little high-geared but still would pull well, but I don't think you'll find many half ton pickups from the nineties with 4:56 gearing.

I don't think I would really consider a late 80's early 90's 1/2 ton as a pulling platform. Those vehicles wouldn't find a place here. Just not enough truck.

Wewild":2wm8gewv said:
greenwillowherefords":2wm8gewv said:
Wewild":2wm8gewv said:
greenwillowherefords":2wm8gewv said:

No need to apologize.

I don't think I would really consider a late 80's early 90's 1/2 ton as a pulling platform. Those vehicles wouldn't find a place here. Just not enough truck.

Not, meaning to stand on any toes here, but for me a 1/2 is a go to the city truck. not a work truck. love the 3500 d/d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts