Opinions on PJ gooseneck vs Quality gooseneck

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I am looking at a pj or quailty gooseneck trailers? Quality is about 2g's cheaper. I only use a trailer a couple times a month at most. looking for any experience with either trailer. TRailers 25ft gooseneck 14k

I honestly only have experience with Exiss trailers, but they are SO worth it, mine is a 2004 and still in perfect order even with heavy use. (I show horses and raise cattle so...)
This is mine:Screen Shot 2023-08-12 at 8.31.39 PM.png
However I understand if they are simply not an option for you.

I am looking at a pj or quailty gooseneck trailers? Quality is about 2g's cheaper. I only use a trailer a couple times a month at most. looking for any experience with either trailer. TRailers 25ft gooseneck 14k deckover trailers

I have a PJ, also have a friend that has one, both around 12/13 years old and I think they've been fairly good trailers. I have a PJ flat bed on my pickup that about 5 years old "2018" and I wouldn't buy another one. Rust coming through in a lot of places that really shouldn't be. Had a guy ask how old mine was a few months back at the sale barn, he thought I was lucky, his only lasted 3 years before he had to replace it.

We live pretty close to the PJ factory so see a ton a them. They are built well but after owning one for several years they're nothing special. We had a 36' tadem dual PJ for years and it was nice but after having several problems with the right side rear hub we sold it. Now we use a 25' 14k that I bought used and have had for 15 yrs and never had an issue with. The mass produced trailers are built so fast I think they are losing some of the quality control. After owning a PJ and one that I don't even know who built it I doubt I'd spring for big name trailer over a well built lesser known brand.

I think the rust we see on trailers now is a powder coat issue. After a while the powder coat starts flaking from the trailer flexing and then the rust starts and just gets worse. Paint fades and looks bad over time but seems to hold on better without rusting.

The rust issue is because most trailer manufactures (pj included) do very little to prep the steel before coating. The steel still has the "pickling" and mill scale on it so nothing sticks.

I had a PJ GN and aside from the terrible rust, shotty welds, and horrible wiring (scotch locks, butt connectors, etc) it was an OK trailer. Haha.

I sold it and bought a no name trailer that wasn't rusted out and rewired it with weather pack connectors and sealed splices, blasted and painted it, and redecked it.

If buying another new one I would shop around for one with the best automotive grade wiring and plan on blasting and painting it within a few years.

I think the rust we see on trailers now is a powder coat issue. After a while the powder coat starts flaking from the trailer flexing and then the rust starts and just gets worse. Paint fades and looks bad over time but seems to hold on better without rusting.
I agree 100%, powder coating has no place on a trailer or truck flatbed.

chevytaHOE67 is correct. It is all in the prep. I have a Kerney Welding 32' double tandem that is powder coated and it has held up very well even on the safety chains. Now the lumber on the bed is another story.

Last edited:
We've got all the major trailer manufacturers within an hour of our house. The big name trailers look really nice and have allot of nice features on them but if I was buying today I'd probably buy a Kearney, Elite, or Legend. These aren't as fancy but look to be built good out of smaller factories. Last trailer I bought was a Iron Bull lowboy gooseneck with drive over fenders. It's built by the Delco folks and is nice but like the rest the powder coat looks like it'll come off over time. Delco just built a new factory right outside of Paris,Tx and it's amazingly big but still smaller than their main plant.

prep is everything, and yes, the pickling on the steel will make it so no paint will stick properly
Also, few people really take the time and effort to PROPERLY paint all the nooks and crannies, and if they don't, the rust starts there and just works its way along lifting the paint.
Company I worked for had powder coated equipment.. done right, you could smash it with a hammer and it would be fine.. done wrong, you could blow the stuff off with an air nozzle
Whatever trailer you get, take a GOOD look at how it's wired, make sure EVERYTHING is sealed, make sure the U bolts for the axles don't smash the wiring when you load it (ask me how I know), and if you want trouble free suspension, I have become a fan of torflex axles.. our 1990 Wilson stock trailer has been really troublefree.. my 2012 flatdeck is ready for it's 3rd suspension rebuild and 2nd rewire

well, I ended up with a pj, I have had it for about 5 min! LOL, time will tell.

Latest posts